• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Big 12 BOMBSHELL

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We just don't see eye to eye, we're not supposed to, you damned sooner

I look at it this way. The SEC really doesn't want to get involved in all this crap. And they don't get anything out of this, A&M isn't a big enough prize. If the PAC 16 happens, it's the LAST thing they want. Because the SEC expansion options aren't very good, in terms of expanding their footprint and increasing the per school share of a TV deal.

Taking A&M paints them in a corner. Because they aren't getting Texas and Tech, which is the lions share of viewers. The only win they can get here is if they can poach OU.

The PAC is more likely to get OU because they'll take OSU as well - this is how they've been setting up their "regional" networks.....they've been pairing the two top schools in each state.

This is all going to get very muddled in the next few days.......get ya popcorn ready!

eaterfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
One thing that is looking good for OU leaving is that apparently the Big 12 had a conference call with all programs except OU (and possibly not UT). I seem to remember a meeting with the Big 12 except A&M right before they left.

occupant

Resident Inhabitant and nerve striker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,345.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So why is A&M the tipping point? There's no guarantee or proof that if A&M leaves the conference will definitely fold, and A&M wasn't the first to leave/SEC wasn't the first conference to take a Big XII team.

This reeks of burnt orange sabre rattling...and the sabre is quickly turning into a pen knife.

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So why is A&M the tipping point? There's no guarantee or proof that if A&M leaves the conference will definitely fold, and A&M wasn't the first to leave/SEC wasn't the first conference to take a Big XII team.

This reeks of burnt orange sabre rattling...and the sabre is quickly turning into a pen knife.

The Big 12 was fine before A&M withdrew. If it folds, THEY started it. This is pretty easy to figure out here. They've been in contact with the SEC since last year. They'll get sued by Ken Starr, I'm pretty sure of it.

Either way, A&M has to settle this. I mean lets be real here, they CAN'T come back, and none of us wants the Big 12 to survive anyway.

eaterfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
The Big 12 was fine before A&M withdrew. If it folds, THEY started it. This is pretty easy to figure out here. They've been in contact with the SEC since last year. They'll get sued by Ken Starr, I'm pretty sure of it.

Either way, A&M has to settle this. I mean lets be real here, they CAN'T come back, and none of us wants the Big 12 to survive anyway.

My question is who would have standing to sue A&M for leaving? I'm not a lawyer so I don't know. If they did sue how much could the lawsuit be for?

Boomer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
The Big 12 was fine before A&M withdrew. Wrong

If it folds, THEY started it. Matter of Opinion

They've been in contact with the SEC since last year. Big Deal

They'll get sued by Ken Starr, I'm pretty sure of it. No Basis

Either way, A&M has to settle this. Yes, but that wont be hard

I mean lets be real here, they CAN'T come back Talking out of both sides of your mouth

and none of us wants the Big 12 to survive anyway. ESPN does, but thats your problem

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My question is who would have standing to sue A&M for leaving? I'm not a lawyer so I don't know. If they did sue how much could the lawsuit be for?

They are suing the SEC and A&M for tortious interference......meaning they conspired to break a contract with the Big 12. They think they have a good case.

I don't really care about that......I think A&M had to know this was coming......if they don't have a resolution, the SEC is probably not going to vote them in.

eaterfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
They are suing the SEC and A&M for tortious interference......meaning they conspired to break a contract with the Big 12. They think they have a good case.

I don't really care about that......I think A&M had to know this was coming......if they don't have a resolution, the SEC is probably not going to vote them in.

I just mean who is they? Is it the org. of the Big 12? Is it a particular school? And by what will they sue for I mean a $ amount kind of thing.

KansasSooner

Aces & eights
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I raised this question before. What happens if the SEC jilts A&M...what happens to them? Do they come begging to the Big 12 with their tail between their legs?

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just mean who is they? Is it the org. of the Big 12? Is it a particular school? And by what will they sue for I mean a $ amount kind of thing.

The state legislature, of which Baylor has the most representatives (alumni)

It's a pretty simple case. The state of Texas will be harmed financially by the breakup of the Big 12, of which the SEC/A&M was the primary catalyst.

BSUinblue

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I've been saying all along (since last year) that A&M is not a prize horse for the SEC. They will have to bring a better team in at the #14 spot or A&M will never get the votes from the schools presidents.

I would thnk Slive would already have the votes (9 required) for approval before he would pull the trigger...

eaterfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
The state legislature, of which Baylor has the most representatives (alumni)

It's a pretty simple case. The state of Texas will be harmed financially by the breakup of the Big 12, of which the SEC/A&M was the primary catalyst.

Would the Texas leg even have standing to sue? They weren't a party to the contract were they? Wouldn't an actual school (like Baylor), a network (Fox or ESPN) or the actual Big 12 Org itself have to file the suit?

Last edited by a moderator:

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would thnk Slive would already have the votes (9 required) for approval before he would pull the trigger...

I'm not sure it's a matter of votes. The question is SHOULD they vote them in, and what are the repurcussions?

Unless Slive can bag OU, they should take a pass on A&M. All it will do is create the PAC 16, a scenario that does not work out well for the SEC.

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Would the Texas leg even have standing to sue? They weren't a party to the contract were they?

A&M is a state institution. This is not a question of can they. It's a matter of WILL they. They have every standing to sue. They've been putting their case together for apparently a while now. They've already released how they would sue. Google Tortious interference......and get ya popcorn ready

IrishFutbol

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
The lawsuits a joke and is an empty threat, so i'm not sure what the bomb shell is.

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The lawsuits a joke and is an empty threat, so i'm not sure what the bomb shell is.

Its FAR from an empty threat.

You have to remember, BAYLOR has the most reps in the legislature. They don't have ANY other options here. If this goes down, they lose out in all of this. They'll make the suit happen, believe that. And they DO have a case, despite what you all think.

IrishFutbol

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Think about it for a second.

If they could sue, why didn't the BE sue the ACC in 2004?

If they could sue, every single employee who leaves his job for a new one could get his new employer sued by his ex-employer.

What grounds do you sue on? (And potential lost revenue from aTm bolting isn't legit grounds).

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Think about it for a second.

If they could sue, why didn't the BE sue the ACC in 2004?

If they could sue, every single employee who leaves his job for a new one could get his new employer sued by his ex-employer.

What grounds do you sue on? (And potential lost revenue from aTm bolting isn't legit grounds).

I'll say it again.....they CAN and WILL sue. Google Tortious Interference, because that's what they're going to sue on. This is not in question.

I'm not saying I support ANY of this. I want A&M to be somebody else's headache, and I want the PAC 16 to be a reality. But I don't see any other options for schools like Baylor, this is the only way they can attempt to block this from happening. And they have the votes in gov't to do it.

IrishFutbol

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Oh I'm sure you'll sue. I just think the case will be thrown out. There's two main issues:

1. The B12 would have to prove this was all on the SEC, and that the SEC made aTm break the deal. If aTm simply wanted to leave, the case gets thrown out.

2. This type of suit normally is heard if the SEC's intention is only to damage the remaining B12 schools. If the SEC is simply planning on improving it's conference, the case will likely get thrown out.

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not the one suing.....I'm a Texas fan, I want this to happen.

But if there's a suit, or even a threat of one, I don't think the SEC votes A&M in. I don't think they want to deal with this crap.