• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Big 10 Expansion talks getting dead serious.

Jack_John_Mark

¿Cómo está usted?
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok, so here's my thoughts on this.......First off, I think this is a lot closer to becoming reality for Nebraska than maybe a lot of us think. I know I said I don't think it will happen.........well, maybe I was wrong about that. That is a lot of revenue, and also like Pearlman said, if Missouri goes to the Big 10 and Colorado to the Pac 10 all of a sudden the Big 12 is falling apart and who the hell do we bring into the conference for teams??? Suddenly Nebraska is probably bringing in less revenue than they were before.

Nebraska and Missouri are sitting in the best position to move to the Big 10 (traveling expenses are very important).....between Missouri and Nebraska, if you were the Big 10 who would you make a bigger push for?? Ummm, duh.....Nebraska. Who wouldn't want a conference with storied programs such as Michigan, Penn State, Ohio State, AND Nebraska.....wow talk about interesting matchups year in and year out.

To be honest, this is going to come down to whether or not the Big 10 wants to expand that far, and whether or not Pearlman and Osborne decide that this is too big of an opportunity for Nebraska athletics to miss out on (which I think it is).

As far as people saying Nebraska and Oklahoma should both join the Big 10......I don't see that happening in a thousand years.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jack_John_Mark

¿Cómo está usted?
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here is an article that was just written this morning. They basically point out that if the Big 10 were to get any Big 12 teams it would probably go for 2 teams to make it a 16 team league.....the two names in this article mentioned are Nebraska and Missouri. Maybe Oklahoma would be a team that would be interested.....I just doubt it I guess.

I find it interesting how they talk about how the SEC would be affected by this.

Big Ten to be game changer? - The Boston Globe

jedburks

The Bad Guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First of all Perlman is an idiot. For him to come out and talk about this is laughable. This is the same moron that didn't realize how much of a lying scumbag Pederson was and how everyone hated him until the week that he fired him.

Like I said in this thread earlier. The Big 10 will look to the East first and foremost to expand. If they expand to 16 then that is what will bring Nebraska into play. I would not even bring up Oklahoma. The SEC already said that if the Big 10 goes to 16 teams then they will have to look to expand as well. Well that is where Oklahoma and Texas will go. The interesting part will be who will be the other 2 teams to go to the SEC. Okie St, Texas A&M, Texas Tech? Will the state of Texas force a conference to bring in Baylor like they did the Big 12?

YuHusker1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
iruletheskool
Thanks.
Personally I feel in most sports the Big 12 is a much tougher conf. than the B10 will ever be and athletically it would be a very bad move to move, all sports considered. And even tho this year the B10 had more (3) draftees who is to say that they will amount to anything. And lets face it the B12 Rocked the 1st round. So I would rather have better overall quality.
The only thing that the B10 really has over the B12 is TV money. Which is a bit strange considering that Ohio and Penn St. haven't been up to the level they use to be 10 years ago and Mich. for longer and the rest of the conf. is up and down a lot each year.

Baylor (esp for mid and shorter distances) is better than the b10, for CFB I feel top to bottom the B12 is much tougher thant the B10, Same for Basketball, Wrestling and would guess baseball and are on par if not better across the state for college education.
Plus there is a heck of a lot of history between the B12 teams that would be lost and never the same if we went to the B10. And would we really get any more TV coverage, i doubt it.
Even when we were at the top in the country and winning NC's or seriously in the hunt year in and year out. I saw More Tenn games on TV than just about any other team no matter what state I was living in.
Go to the B10 Would severly hurt every program we have in my opinion.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
iruletheskool
Thanks.
Personally I feel in most sports the Big 12 is a much tougher conf. than the B10 will ever be and athletically it would be a very bad move to move, all sports considered. And even tho this year the B10 had more (3) draftees who is to say that they will amount to anything. And lets face it the B12 Rocked the 1st round. So I would rather have better overall quality.
The only thing that the B10 really has over the B12 is TV money. Which is a bit strange considering that Ohio and Penn St. haven't been up to the level they use to be 10 years ago and Mich. for longer and the rest of the conf. is up and down a lot each year.

Baylor (esp for mid and shorter distances) is better than the b10, for CFB I feel top to bottom the B12 is much tougher thant the B10, Same for Basketball, Wrestling and would guess baseball and are on par if not better across the state for college education.
Plus there is a heck of a lot of history between the B12 teams that would be lost and never the same if we went to the B10. And would we really get any more TV coverage, i doubt it.
Even when we were at the top in the country and winning NC's or seriously in the hunt year in and year out. I saw More Tenn games on TV than just about any other team no matter what state I was living in.
Go to the B10 Would severly hurt every program we have in my opinion.

Hey YU how's is going?

Yes, NU would certainly get a bit more TV coverage in the east. What's important is the increased revenue split that NU would get by joining the Big 10.
That being said I actually agree with Jed here that the only way NU is sure to get an invite is if the Big 10 expands to 16 teams. The Big 10 is looking to expand into places with a lot of TV viewers, not necessarily a storied program. The population of Nebraska is only 1.5 million. Missouri is about 3.3 million. The Big 10 is looking east to Syracuse, Rutgers etc..Of course they'd love to have Notre Dame.
On paper Pitt looks to be a good candidate considering their natural rivalry with Penn St. The problem with Pitt is they are in Pennsylvania, so would adding them really increase the # of television viewers in Pennsylvania? Not likely enough to make a real difference.
The Big 10 also has better bowl packages than the Big XII which translates into more $$.

YuHusker1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Hi Red,
I would want it in writing, MORE money and exactly how much and MORE TV games. Otherwise I feel that we will get overlooked again no matter how good our team gets. I do feel that for that for the last 10 years Penn. St. and Ohio have been on a bit of a slide and Mich. has been down for longer and MAY be on the rise again. But the two top teams anymore are only moderately good. I really believe that we and half of the B12 could beat any team in the B10.

And as you stated there is no history with us and will never be. We will always be tied to OU and the teams down here. The History will always be brought up about the historic games we had with OU, TX, Ok St. etc. when ever we play them in OOC.
What would they bring up if we were in the B10, our national championships? And would they even count us as being Co-Champs with Mich for One that we got under TO? Probably not.

I feel Athletically the B12 if much superior in most sports. And as a former athlete I would go to the school that offers more athletically and in better comp. in more sports than what they have. The only thing they have is the money and I would say that the Huskers do pretty well where we are at. And I feel we are just on the verge with Bo of making more money where we are at. I also feel we would get at least as raw a deal in games against the B10 schools when we are just getting to show well against better comp.

As you can tell for me it is all about the level of the comp. Beat the best and you earn the right to play the NC. Not cry for it like some schools do. I would also cut the number of bowl games by 50% in CFB. In the NCAA BB Tourny I would cut it to 32 teams, not make it bigger. After all the season is really the start of the playoff in any sport, and depending on how you do in the season you have earned your spot in a playoff or bowl ranking. Those that do not want to earn their way do not want to play by any rules that do not benefit them. The include everyone all the time makes a mess of things.

Stray35

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yu -
I understand what you mean when you talk about the history with OU, I miss the Big 8 and the Thanksgiving game as well. As for the history with TX... do you mean all 13 games or just the 9 games since the Big 12 was formed in '96? Nebraska is, and always will be a traditional powerhouse.
Did you ever play the recruiting game? Being a 5 sport all-state athlete who has the nerve to compare your athletic abilities to Suh's combine results you probably had all the top schools begging you to take their full rides. For most student athletes it's a little more complicated. Some have to take what they can get, others need to feel comfortable in the system, while even others prefer being close to home. Then you have those that decide they want a respected degree in case the dreams of becoming a professional athlete doesn't pan out. I'll agree that playing in a tough conference helps with recruiting (I bet Notre Dame doesn't) but I don't agree that the Big 10 is as weak as you think.

YuHusker1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I had some people interested in me. I grade from Chadron cause for me I wanted a school that was known for teacher ed and had good athletics in the sports I wanted to compete in and were under 5,000 full-time undergrads (wanted the smaller class sizes and the ability to talk with the instructors.

I always wanted the BEST in all that I did. I even had a kid I competed with on my HS wrestling team that qualified for the *80 olympic trials in freestyle. Most times he kicked my but in HS. He grad a year ahead of me. He also won his regional olympic trial. I also always looked at what the Best in the World were doing and compared that to what I was doing. To me the Big 12 is behind the Big 10 in only one thing and that is TV money.

Schools and education-At least as good.
Athletics Better comp in most sports
Better weather most of the year

At 180lbs I was pushing 225 in the bench 28-29 times. Close to Suh. I think my 40 was 4.7 but I trained as a distance runner cause that is what I was much better at. I have placed 6th or 7th over all in the Equinox Marathon in Alaska on the 2nd toughest marathon course in the world, 2nd to Pikes Peak Marathon in severity of the course.
I have run under 25 min. in 5 miles in a race I was well ahead of 2nd place. I have run up to 14 miles in a flat 5min /mile ave. ALONE several times. batted .750 in softball, Placed 13th as a jr. and 10 as a sr.in CC state. 6th in wrestling as a sr. after only 3 yrs of competing, 2nd in State in Freestyle on my first try and no lower than 3rd ever, No lower than 6th in national regional judo comp and as high as 2nd and that is in only three years of comp., 4th in track in the 880, won my only organized bicycle race by almost a mile in the novice division, asked if I would be willing to ride for a company (sponsored by them) I didn't cause I didn't going as fast as I wanted to be doing (ave. 23.4 mph riding on my own and I wanted to be at 25mph, and I had a crap bike). I have also played league VB inside and in the sand and few were as quick as I was.
I have also wrestled against a guy that took 2nd in the world championships and did that the year after I grad HS and he had just Grad college. I as not the starter most wrestling meets at Chadron cause we had a good group, a marine corp. champ and a group around my weight that all had gone to Nats in college and had more higher level comp. than me. But I never backed down and usually when I beat someone that had beat me they didn't beat me again. And again I trained myself for most of my sports and I always want better comp. period.

Oh when I went to Jr. College people thought that I was a RB because of my size and I didn't do but one year of football cause a coach wouldn't play me cause I wasn't aggressive enough. I was put into a scrimmage against another team and I sacked the QB 6 times. I was under 5' in 8th grade when this happened. I got tired as an army kid in team sports getting looked past because of a biased coach. Thats when I decided I was going to try diff. sports and see what I was best at and I did very well. I placed 3rd in the AZ State Judo tourny after about 4 months of training at 5'9" and 120 lbs.

We do not need the best athletes to win the NC TO proved that. What we need is kids that have decent talent and want to work hard. Thats what we had. And the better the program the better kid we will get, and yeah we will loose some high star athletes but most of those think they are all that and want things handed to them. Our last coach showed what all the high star athletes did for our program.

So again
Academics we are at the same level as the Big 10
In most sports we are better top to bottom we better and have much better Comp.
So the only thing the b10 has on the B12 is tv money.

I feel based on the past that Neb. would get national TV less times than MN who has a terrible team and our last DC as their current DC.

I will admit that the b10 might be a little better than I stated above but not much. When Two teams in the b10 barely beat Div II teams from SD and some of it was just last second wins.

I think Ohio is about as good as they are ever going to be unless they get a new coach and are living off of what they used to be. Mich. is bad and also living off of what they were10-15 years ago. Penn St. when from good to just okay and now is to not quiet what they use to be. But Joe Pa did get them back up a bit. I do not know if he will be able to get them back all the way to what they use to be. Ia won way too many games last year by just last second stuff last year. Luck was on their side but when it ran out it ran out pretty hard. Mich St looked like they were going to become the best team in the b10 but last year fell back off again, Purdue fell off again. There is no consistency now in the B10. The two best teams in the B10 year in and year out are usually the top two teams but not showing that they or the conf. is as good as it once was and no one is really stepping up and the traditions the schools have are getting tainted.

One thing about me is I always wanted to compete against the best, regardless, period. Money does not usually get you the best comp. you might get more schools competing at the similar level but the ones that usually make the biggest gains are those with the most to prove and work for it.

And what goes on in the B10 states. We have some of the very highest individual and business income taxes. What do they have to show for it. Schools were the Tradition matters, Bama, Florida, Tenn, Tx. OU, Ok St (tho Ok State seems to step down a couple games a year, but are known as dangerous in FB), Neb, and Mizzou and K St and KU are all making hard plays for the top of the heap in FB. IN Basketball KU and Mizzou and K St I know are up there reg. and Baylor is THE place for mid and long sprints in the country and world to be. Oregon use to be the school for great distance programs and good overall. Wrestling Ia USE to be the school but Gable left and Mn has been there, Penn and Mich have been there but OU and Ok State are always in the mix. And since Gable stepped down in Ia. No coach demanded the excellence.

When TO stepped down he had a good coach who I feel was a year or two away from being in the NC game again when he higher Bo as the DC. Pederson destroyed the program. Now Bo is back and we are making a strong comeback.

The only real thing the b10 has is the money but if things were being done right the conf. with the best teams would be getting the money and we would be one of the top three and the b10 would be and is a big step down and we have no history and they would always play up the org. b10 schools when we played them and not list any of our History that rivals any of the B10 even in their hay day. and I feel we are almost back.

Better Comp for me will and should always trump money. Suh will make the money because he worked and earned it. The B12 had the most in the 1st round where the money is and while b10 got more drafted by 3 over the b12 quantity does not mean quality. I think the B12 has more quality than the b10. Why are they getting more drafted. My opinion is the money bought the draft spot cause the poorer athlete got shown.

YuHusker1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Sorry for some of the miss spellings above.

Also I probably turned down the chance to go to West Point based on what my army recruiter and my dad who had been a recruiter asked me. I did turn down OCS because the regs. say they CAN take into consideration your schooling. I went into the army as a mechanic and had an AAS in forestry and looked at:
1) I didn't want to extend my active duty
2) I figured they would make me an Infantry Officer not an Ordinance Officer. I knew I could get people in better shape than what the military can cause I left basic in much worse shape than when I came in. So I knew if I can read a map, run a transit, compass, do surveying, read airal photos and with my athletics.

So having the best comp meant the most to me. I even told a major that I would not apply for All Army like I did the year b4 because someone would be pulling strings to get me in. And I found out that for the distance I was either the Best or 2nd best runner in the entire army and didn't get selected.

YuHusker1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
And how does a third set of hip sled of 25 reps. at 960 lbs. sound. My max bench was not much at only 295 lbs for one rep. 4 reps at 135 for arm curls. My upper body was my weakness and the fact that I wanted to be able to still run so I never committed 100% to heavy weights or high mileage. I only did 75miles of running one week running

Epic Leprikon

I am Epic Leprikon?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I went to school with both Ruud's, Dane Todd,Brandon Rigoni, Alex Gordon, and not to mention a dozen more players that had great careers in football/baseball/basketball, and NONE of them came close to the numbers you claim to have put up. At 180...if you are telling the truth, which I don't think you are, you would have been a freak of a physical specimen, even more so than the freaks I mentioned...is your name Clark Kent by any chance?

YuHusker1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
What stats are you questioning?
Legs were my strength. My upper body hit its max but not my legs. I have never One repped any leg exercise. I got forarm splints from the arm curls and I have 10 repped 125 for arm curls. I have worked out with a guy that went to OU and was a national power lifting champ and watched him put up 25 at 225 and it was nothing. So to me this is not a big thing I did it. Heck I got to where I could bench 260 without having lifted in a year and only spend 10min warming up.

Is it the running?
I did it, I even got back down to running 5 miles in 25min flat on a hilly route around Chadron a year after knee surgery. One of the things I had to deal with and why I didn't get as much notoriety is we moved once every 1.5 -2.5 years all of my school days so I have attended schools from Kentucky to Cal and from Texas to Alaska. My 1st year for track the coaches thought that I was one of two freshman that could get a varsity letter, that didn't happen. I asked the coach what should I do next and he said go out for CC. I did and I was in the top 5 in EVERY run regardless of length (100s to 3 miles were our training runs) until I jammed my ankle very badly. By the 3 meet of the season I placed 7th in a varsity run and the team I was on had the top 12 places, they combine the Varsity and JV cause the other teams JV didn't show up. This was in Sierra Vista AZ and was their 1st as a 4A school and we were rated 3 in state and the team ended up placing 3 in state. We left to Cal. after that meet and the coach asked if he could find someone that would take care of me if I could stay and run for him, I was a soph., dad said no. In Cal. I made the soph. CC team and was one of their best runners and I dropped I think 2,000 or 3,000 ft. in elevation, and ran only 2 miles. and we had to move to Alaska and the coach asked the same thing. and dad said no.

That was the last time I had a running coach until college. And I ran a 9:10 two mile just after I grad HS which would have won state but I was stubborn and wanted to run the 880 and placed forth with a pulled hammy in my right leg.

But most of my lifting I did for 12 -15 reps upper body during the running season and limited myself as to how heavy and 15 - 20 reps for legs. And legs never went below 15 reps during wrestling and upper went down to 10 reps.

Running was what I had the most ability for and if I have stayed in on school system growing up that probably would have been what I was pushed into more. I competed in Judo and wrestling because I like it more than the running but didn't have the frame or ability in those sports that I had in running. But none of that mattered I wanted to compete against the best. I know I was not the elite but top 5-10% in just about anything I did and I feel I could have done much more in running if I had not wrestled and just run.
What amazes me about Suh is that some of the things he did he did being BIG I am only 6' on a good day.

And I only kind of recognize the Ruud name.

Be specific on what you say I am lying about or are you saying I am lying about everything.

I have seen kids break and ankle at the 76 National Jr. Olympics in my weight class which was 154, he did it in the 1st period and they taped over his shoe after almost all his injury time was used and he walked out to continue wrestling like nothing was wrong, limped back cause back then they had 1 min breaks between periods, walked back out like nothing was wrong for each period. He won 15-5 then was taken to the hospital to have his ankle taken care of and with that win won third in the tourney at that weight. He pinned me in the end of the 3rd period. I when 1-2 at the meet and wrestled two that placed in the tourney. I have been beat by guys in arm wrestling and wasted them on the mat. I broke the foot of one guy I wrestled in state freestyle and broke the arm of one of our heavy weights in college by accident The coach wanted me to gain up to whatever the min. was for heavy wt back in about 86 or later while our heavy wt. was losing from 400lbs to I think they made heavy wt. max at 275, it took him a year to do. His name was Mike Max. There are some guys that could hand it to me and there were more than 70% in just about any comp I tried that I would beat.

I have something else you probably will not believe either. My dad loved baseball and played football and baseball (when they had it) and track one year when they didn't have BB. He played for Deshler Neb. Tackle at 130 and after a 6 year hitch in the Navy came back to Deshler and to visit his family and found out some college had offered him a scholarship. He thought great I am 167 now, the coach was happy cause he could use him more at that weight. Dad said that what he wanted to do was use his GI bill and the scholarship and go to school and come out owing nothing. It wasn't allowed to happen because of some rule and he never went to college. He went back in the service, the army this time, served in Korea and Nam. They were getting shot at at night in Nam one time and dad threw a granade. The next day they went and walked off how far he threw and he said it was 100yd. When he had joined the army they found out that he had been on championship softball teams in the service b4 and he got assigned jobs that allowed him to play on the posts best team. He played a rover kind of position and would throw from mid depth left field to 1st and not have the ball go above shoulder high and not touch the ground and throw them out. He said the third time he did that in a game the 1st baseman said don't do that anymore it hurts too much.
Dad liked to fight growing up and he said he tried to get one of his friends to fight with his guys and he never would. He said they stayed over at this kids place one night and the kid got them all up early to do the chores so his parents would not have to. On the way to the barn dad said he stopped and picked up the back end of a tractor and set it back down. and after that the kid told him why he wouldn't fight cause he got into a very short fight with his brother once and he was out for 3days. My dad also threw a shot at an AAU meet I went to one time (he was competing in his age group which was in his late 40's) dad never knew how to put a shot so he just threw it like he would a softball or baseball and threw it officially 30 ft. After his third throw he quit cause it hurt his arm.
All true weather you want to believe ot or not.

I have seen really strong people do nothing in sports cause they didn't have any athletic ability. I think I did pretty well but I never learned how to set up moves so I didn't do as well as some.

So for athletic ability I was pretty good but not as good as some. I was good enough that most didn't want to practice with me until college and those that were at my level were spread out.

Now due to a kid running a stop sign I am fussed in 7 levels of my spine.

Stray35

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yu -
The story of Yu's life is once again posted for all to admire and question. I agree with Epic, I really doubt you are telling the complete truth based on the numerous excuses, contradictions, and overall results, however I will not call you a liar since I have no proof. If the story is legit it's quite remarkable, do you have any proof other than your word. After all, I trust you as much as you should trust me.

As for the Ruud name...3 men in the family played for the Huskers, all three went on to play pro ball. I think Barrett was drafted in the 2nd or third round by Tampa Bay.

Epic Leprikon

I am Epic Leprikon?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Have you ever met their younger sister? She is actually very pretty...but...she could probly out perform me in ANY physical competition...minus dunking a basketball :)

4thandInches

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Yu- Dude no one wants to hear your fictional HS athletic achievements. You sound like Al Bundy, randomly ranting about your high school glory days.