• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Best/Worst picks each year of the Mayhew era.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I imagine we will have a lot of the same worsts, but the bests could vary dramatically. Your reasoning could be based on anything. Pure opinion.

Database: Detroit Lions GM Martin Mayhew's draft history

2009 Best: Matthew Stafford Worst: Derrick Williams
2010 Best: Ndamukong Suh Worst: Jahvid Best
2011 Best: Nick Fairley Worst: Titus Young
2012 Best: Riley Reiff Worst: Ryan Broyles
2013 Best: Ziggy Ansah Worst: Cory Fuller
2014 Best: Travis Swanson Worst: Eric Ebron

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can agree on all but two. I would replace Derrick Williams with Louis Delmas. Delmas was and still is a dissappiontment. He never stays healthy and is now stuck with accepting one year veteran deals. Loved the pick of him at the time. Just think he sucked after year one and has been declining every year.

I also do agree that maybe Fuller is the bad apple of that draft class. I can not write him off yet. He will never be number 2 with Tate in town. He showed glimpses of his talent and what he is used in the offensive scheme of things. He actually could be serviceable in a different offense.

The fact he is a 6th round pick tells me Mayhew had outstanding draft that year.

I could maybe say Fairley was worst pick his year. For a 13th pick he never lived up to the hype, had rather bad years playing next to the third best defensive player in the league. So with that said he is the best by default that year.

TwoCents22

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Mayhew's favorite draft pick of all time is Randy Moss. Moss slid because of red flags and became a HOF. Mayhew's been trying to find his "randy moss" ever since.

Rollingthndr

FantasyFootball Pessimist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mayhew =
model24b.jpg

Dr. Evil-er

Mayhew for President 2016
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Mayhew's favorite draft pick of all time is Randy Moss. Moss slid because of red flags and became a HOF. Mayhew's been trying to find his "randy moss" ever since.

No one in their right mind would have passed on Terry Fair. What would the Lions have been able to do on offense with Moore and Moss on the outside and Morton in the slot? We wouldn't have been able to score any points, especially with no running game either. Can't even remember what scrub we had at RB at the time. Must have been complete shit since he's so memorable. :scratch: Fucking Lions :L

TBBishop

The One And Only!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I imagine we will have a lot of the same worsts, but the bests could vary dramatically. Your reasoning could be based on anything. Pure opinion.

Database: Detroit Lions GM Martin Mayhew's draft history

2009 Best: Matthew Stafford Worst: Derrick Williams
2010 Best: Ndamukong Suh Worst: Jahvid Best
2011 Best: Nick Fairley Worst: Titus Young
2012 Best: Riley Reiff Worst: Ryan Broyles
2013 Best: Ziggy Ansah Worst: Cory Fuller
2014 Best: Travis Swanson Worst: Eric Ebron

Stafford was a no brainer so I would go with DeAndre Levy as the best in 2009. Suh was the best player int he draft sitting their at #2 so another no brainer. I'd go with Willie Young, a late round guy who played pretty well. Jahvid was a fantastic player who simply got hurt. I understand that you believe it was a wasted pick because of the concussion but there have been players who got concussions in college and never got them in the pros so I go with Spievey as the worst in 2010. Titus actually played well and his pops said he got a concussion and it was after that they he went off the deep end. I'm going to take that at face value and say LeShoure was the worst pick in 2011. He gave us nothing! Reiff has performed right around where his draft status dictated so I'd go with Whitehead who was a pleseant suprise last year as the best of 2012. 2013 is hard. Ziggy, Slay, and Warford and hell even Martin are all great candidates but since Warford is our best lineman and he was a 3rd round pick I'll go with him. I'd need to hear your reasoning for having Fuller as the worst. What was he a 5th rounder? And he's at least contributing. I'd have to go with a guy that's no longer on the team so Michael Williams simply because he was picked higher than Brandon Hepburn. And I have to go with Nate Freese for the worst of 2014. Ebron hasn't given us what we as a collective fan base that obviously expects too much out of a rookie expected but Freese was supposed to be the future of our kicking game and he gagged big time.

TBBishop

The One And Only!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can agree on all but two. I would replace Derrick Williams with Louis Delmas. Delmas was and still is a dissappiontment. He never stays healthy and is now stuck with accepting one year veteran deals. Loved the pick of him at the time. Just think he sucked after year one and has been declining every year.

I also do agree that maybe Fuller is the bad apple of that draft class. I can not write him off yet. He will never be number 2 with Tate in town. He showed glimpses of his talent and what he is used in the offensive scheme of things. He actually could be serviceable in a different offense.

The fact he is a 6th round pick tells me Mayhew had outstanding draft that year.

I could maybe say Fairley was worst pick his year. For a 13th pick he never lived up to the hype, had rather bad years playing next to the third best defensive player in the league. So with that said he is the best by default that year.

I'll add that I wouldn't put Fuller in there because he was a track star. He didn't play football until like his 5th year in college when he transfered and could run anymore. I think that's how the story went so he's still learning the game and contributing in the NFL. If he was a 2nd round pick or something like that I'd agree.

Rollingthndr

FantasyFootball Pessimist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah,
Stafford was the easiest pick of all time. When you look back at his draft. It may have been one of the weakest in recent memory. Curry, J.Smith, Butt Fumbler. Bunch of fuggin scrubs. We had Orvlosky running out of the end zone. Easy pick.

Forgot about Spievey, dude was trash!

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll add that I wouldn't put Fuller in there because he was a track star. He didn't play football until like his 5th year in college when he transfered and could run anymore. I think that's how the story went so he's still learning the game and contributing in the NFL. If he was a 2nd round pick or something like that I'd agree.

I agree with the thought process you used moreso than mine. Really thought it through. Fuller was a 6th round selection who was drafted on potential and speed. He is used primarily to take the top off the defense and that is all. Lions OL sucked so bad last year, you rarely got to see deep routes.
As much as I dislike Ross, him and Fuller extended some late drives last year that were a big part of a playoff push. Granted it was one and done playoff again. So to some it is all for not. Disappointed? Sure I was, I also realize you can not go deep into playoffs from the 7 seed.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No one in their right mind would have passed on Terry Fair. What would the Lions have been able to do on offense with Moore and Moss on the outside and Morton in the slot? We wouldn't have been able to score any points, especially with no running game either. Can't even remember what scrub we had at RB at the time. Must have been complete shit since he's so memorable. :scratch: Fucking Lions :L

Hill and Stewart were the first couple after Barry left. It was the equivalent of Freese replacing Hanson. Was never going to happen.