• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Best/Worst 1st Round NFL Selection

pennstatenut

Working with my wood
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Saints are going to score regardless who is on the field. Desean Jackson is sitting in free agency. You aren't going to find a Darqueze Dennard sitting in the second round. I think we over paid for a guy that we can fill either in a stacked wide receiver class either later on in the draft or free agency.
You might want to catch up. He was a free agent for 5 days. He's been a Redskin since April 2.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Well-Known, and Feared, Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lions going with a tight end in the 10 spot with no secondary and a potential lockdown corner on the board that would start game 1. :L

It is truly amazing that the Lions year in and year out fail to address their most glaring needs in the draft -- usually because they think there's some under-rated offensive player they need to scoop up. I love the year where they traded up in the draft to get jahvid best. After 50 years you just have to laugh and say, "same old Lions".

MAIZEandBLUE09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They picked up a Pro-Bowler. Not a reach.

That dude is a monster.

That's quite optimistic, but I'm not sure it matters. You can't win football games if you can't stop teams from scoring.

RoboticDreams

JM8CH10
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Buffalo gave up too much to get Watkins who I'm not sure they really even need.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Best: Browns and Vikings
Worst: Dallas

Surely Dallas could have picked someone else.... it wasn't a bad pick, fit the need, but come on. Why not go LB or DB?

I think Dallas pick was fine. Nothing wrong with building a bad ass OL. I didnt understand the Giants pick. Odell Beckham is a good player, but ~6 foot. They already have CRuz and Randel, which are similar. I thought at that spot Donald should be taken. Jags screwed up. Bortles may work out, but I dont think there is a lot of separation amongst the top 4-5 QBs. They have so many needs. Trade down and grab a QB later.

rjshull

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The big question marks for me are
· The Lions with Ebron, they should have went defense instead they took a pure luxery pick and even though they hope he turns out to be a Gates or VD type of TE he will fall short.
· Shazier to the Steelers, I like Shazier a lot and he was a beast at OSU but he is a 4-3 LB, not a 3-4, the Steelers should have passed unless they are planning on switching schemes.
· The Dolphins, what the heck were they thinking James would have been there in the end of the 2nd and maybe 3rd round, this is one of the biggest reaches.
· The Patriots with Easley, I really wanted this kid to fall to the 9ers in the 2nd, depending on how his knees hold up he could be a massive boom, but he could be out of the league in a year or two.
· Jimmy Ward? Why would the 9ers draft him? We had bigger needs at CB and Roby went the next pick, there are still a ton of WR's on the board, we have a need for a big NT like Nix which is who I really wanted after the Cooks, and Beckham were picked.
· My pick for worst pick in the first round has to be the Panthers and Kelvin Benjamin, they should have went with either Lee or Latimore. Benjamin will be a bust.
My biggest winner is the Browns, and that is hard to say. I think they were hoping that Bortles would drop to the 4th spot, once he was taken they went to plan B and picked up an additional 1st and 4th next year. Then they swapped the bust that is Trent Richardson for Johnny Football, who might just turn into a Franchise QB.

pennstatenut

Working with my wood
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hard to fault the Rams' picks even if one of them was from sPITT

NickVT10

annnnnnnd its gone
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Browns I think had the best 1st round.

I'm not mad at all about the Cowboys pick. There are a lot of defensive guys left to get in the next 3 rounds that are very good and we could get a steal in the late rounds. Building a young, good OL will pay dividends as well.

bigred472

theoldestidiotonthisboard
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What you got?
-------
Worst Pick--Jadevon Clowney. Probably the most talented in this draft and probably the one with the most issues.

night

Undocumented PhD
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought Kelvin and Ebron were reaches but nothing else stood out much.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was actually impresses with Jerry Jones and Dallas for once, just cuz he went with a safe pick and not the typical "sexy" pick.

Worst pick was Detroit.

Even if he becomes Gronk,(which I doubt) but even if, it was probably the last position they needed.

mrwallace2ku

Treehugger
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think he's a perfect fit for the Saints passing game. Great hands. Great speed. Runs perfect routes. Gets defensive players to bite on fakes and gets open at exactly the right moments. I think Brees and him will do a lot of damage for years to come.

I agree RD, yeah I'm a Beaver homer, but the Saints saw something they knew would be gone and moved up.

Cooks may be undersized, but he had no big injuries in college and will catch anything thrown around him...Brees will love throwing to this kid. NFL likes big receivers, but the smaller ones are the ones that do damage.

Cooks owns the single season receiving numbers in catches/yards in the PAC...maybe that's what the Saints saw.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The guy the Lions drafted has the same hands as Pettigrew, can't block, and will be the third tallest TE on the team. Why the hell did we just resign Pettigrew if we were going to draft this guy and didn't we just bankrupt our future to sign relief for Calvin with Golden Taite? Horrible Horrible HORRIBLE pick. Same old Lions.

rolltide14_0

~V--I--P~
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,833.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I tried watching the draft. I don't see how you guys do it. I try to watch, but it's like forever between picks and boring as shit. I really want to see the picks themselves, but the rest is ugh.

I didn't even see who the bears got if they even had a 1st round pick.

Yeah, we got CB Kyle Fuller from VT.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The guy the Lions drafted has the same hands as Pettigrew, can't block, and will be the third tallest TE on the team. Why the hell did we just resign Pettigrew if we were going to draft this guy and didn't we just bankrupt our future to sign relief for Calvin with Golden Taite? Horrible Horrible HORRIBLE pick. Same old Lions.
I don't think anyone can explain it. They signed Golden Tate to give Stafford another target if Calvin is covered. Not the best WR in the NFL but solid hands. There was absolutely no reason to go after another offensive target -- especially with how rich this draft is with CBs.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think anyone can explain it. They signed Golden Tate to give Stafford another target if Calvin is covered. Not the best WR in the NFL but solid hands. There was absolutely no reason to go after another offensive target -- especially with how rich this draft is with CBs.

It's just going to be another year of me ignoring the NFL because the Lions have ended the season on the first day of the draft. Hopefully the Spartans can give me something to be happy about or this will be a very LOOOOOONG fall. The offense I think will be better than last year because of knowing who the QB will be from spring on. The defense has me scared with how many people graduated/left. Probably going to be a step back year (can't really step much farther forward), much harder schedule than last year, looking at an 8-4 to 9-3 season. A 7-5 season would not be too surprising to me if the defense isn't up to snuff.

olympicoscar

Life is what you've made of it.
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,999.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Best was Teddy Bridgewater for Minnesota at 32.

Worst was Ju'wuan James for the Dolphins. Never even heard of the guy.

Smart

Asshat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Best: Jake Matthews at 6 or Darqueze Dennard 24

Worst: Sammy Watkins at 4 (not bad in a bubble, but they gave up a likely top 5 pick next year as well) or Bradley Roby at 30

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Best: Jake Matthews at 6 or Darqueze Dennard 24

Worst: Sammy Watkins at 4 (not bad in a bubble, but they gave up a likely top 5 pick next year as well) or Bradley Roby at 30
-
I am not sure on Jake. I think he will be a 10 yr pro. Not sure he has the upside of some of the other OTs. He doesnt have the risk either though. I am betting really solid. He is just doesnt have a lot of upside left. He has been well schooled.