• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Best team to ever lose the SB?

NEhomer

Hoopla Cash
$ 944.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How about the best team to get their asses kicked and handed to them in the Superbowl?

'13 Broncos!

elmouse03

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will say the 67 Raiders who ran over the AFL with a 13-1 record but lost to an aging 9 win packers team in the super bowl.

68 Colts are also up there

2001 Rams
2007 Pats
2009 Colts
1990 Bills
1983 Redskins

dirtboy068

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will say the 67 Raiders who ran over the AFL with a 13-1 record but lost to an aging 9 win packers team in the super bowl.

68 Colts are also up there

2001 Rams
2007 Pats
2009 Colts
1990 Bills
1983 Redskins

67 raiders, defiantly deserved to be mentioned.

pumpkinhead33793

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The 1986-1988 Bears went a combined 37-10 and lost in the playoffs to the eventual superbowl champions all 3 years. I think they deserve an honorable mention.

Last edited by a moderator:

elmouse03

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The 1986-1988 Bears went a combined 37-10 and lost in the playoffs to the eventual superbowl champions all 3 years. I think they deserve an honorable mention you fags.

Their defense from a stat standpoint was better in 86 then their championship run 85 and Buddy Ryan wasn't the DC in 86 but their offense stunk due to the injury of Jim McMahon.

Nosferatu

Faith, Hope & Love
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.66
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Their defense from a stat standpoint was better in 86 then their championship run 85 and Buddy Ryan wasn't the DC in 86 but their offense stunk due to the injury of Jim McMahon.

And the fact Jim McMahon sucked, the guys behind him just sucked more...

elmouse03

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And the fact Jim McMahon sucked, the guys behind him just sucked more...

Well he alienated some of the offense against Flutie because he wanted the backups of the 85 title team to start over Flutie.

tzorn10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That Bills team that went to 4 Super Bowls should a got at least one … It's amazing they were able to go to 4 in a row but it just sucks they couldn't get one… That game they lost to the Giants was a big dagger because it set the tone … Had they made that kick I think they get another one and there a dynasty in the 90's …. But man they just didn't catch the breaks…

This for sure. Everytime I started feeling sorry for myself due to the Hawks' not winning one, I stopped and thought about those Bills fans. How they all didnt just step in front of a bus is beyond me. 4 in a row. I cant even imagine.

RobToxin

Roid Raging
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.08
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The 1986-1988 Bears went a combined 37-10 and lost in the playoffs to the eventual superbowl champions all 3 years. I think they deserve an honorable mention.

But this isn't best team not to win a Super Bowl. This is best team to lose a Super Bowl. The Bears didn't lose the Super Bowl.

Tacoma_canuck

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
The 83 Redskins were the first one that came to mind for me. Defending champs, 14-2 record, #1 offense. decent defense, good ST, MVP Joe Theisman, John Riggins and a big favorite to win it all only to get trounced by the Raiders and Marcus Allen.

The 90-93 Bills for sure. To even get to the biog dance 4 straight shows how good that team was but they just ran into some tough NFC east teams and couldn't get over that first one that they should have won.

69 Vikes and really, all those Vikings teams of the 70's. They too went to 4 of them only to come away empty.

Maybe the Unitas lead Colts that lost to Namath and the Jets. They were heavy favorites. They were getting a little old by then though and that Jets team was really solid. Much more than just Namath's bravado.

67 Raiders but at that time, it was still AFL/NFL and they never had the inter-conference play we have now so it's hard to say. I believe the NFL was considered much stronger overall at that time and the Raiders ran away with the AFL. There wasn't really anybody in their caliber that year.

Midnightangel

Troll slayer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As I said, a LOT of teams can be mentioned - hence why I'm asking for input. It seemed like a good topic for debate.

Yes, the Pats were 18-0 heading into the SB. That being said they came dangerously close to losing a few near the end. The Ravens melted down to beat themselves as did the Giants with penalties. Still, they were undefeated so if you want to name them the best team to ever lose the SB, I can't tell you that you're wrong - I just can't tell you that you're right.

The Vikings of their day were pretty damned good teams, they just happened to run into some damned good teams.

The Bills....that really has to be a bitter sweet pill for Buffalo fans. On the one hand you made the SB 4 times in a row, on the other you lost it 4 times in a row. That first time you could have won it with a FG. You were THAT close. The other three you got beat down.

Those Cowboys teams in the 70's pop into my mind as well...SB XIII was the greatest ever played. Huge plays on both sides. The 'Boys were down at the end but just about pulled off the comeback win.

The Steelers of '95 are on my list as well. Think of the Cowboy team they had to face. Aikman at QB, Irvin at WO, and Smith at RB. Then that defense. Bill Cowher pulled off an onsides kick. Bill outcoached Barry Switzer that day - it was Neil O'Donnell's INT's late that killed us.

So many great teams that alllllllllllmost did it.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Steelers of '95 are on my list as well. Think of the Cowboy team they had to face. Aikman at QB, Irvin at WO, and Smith at RB. Then that defense. Bill Cowher pulled off an onsides kick. Bill outcoached Barry Switzer that day - it was Neil O'Donnell's INT's late that killed us.

Neil O'Donnell's INT was very suspicious... A lot of people here in the Steel City still believe that schmuck was paid off. O'Donnell claimed Stewart ran the wrong route, but I call bullshit!

It was a good game, but I still think the Cowboys were the better team talent-wise that year.

Tacoma_canuck

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Those Cowboys teams in the 70's pop into my mind as well...SB XIII was the greatest ever played. Huge plays on both sides. The 'Boys were down at the end but just about pulled off the comeback win.

Yeah, I should have definitely included that Cowboys team that lost SB XIII on my list.

I can't include the 95 Steelers just because of that one person you mentioned, Neil O'Donnell. But I guess really the "team" was really good and lots of great teams have won with QB's that bad or worse. ( Dilfer, McMahon)

The one reason that I didn't include the 07 Pats is because of the term "team". Yes, 18-0 going in and a huge favorite but a lot of similarities to this years Broncos. A dominant offense that steamrolled every team in their way but it covered up a pretty average defense, imo.

Midnightangel

Troll slayer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I should have definitely included that Cowboys team that lost SB XIII on my list.

I can't include the 95 Steelers just because of that one person you mentioned, Neil O'Donnell. But I guess really the "team" was really good and lots of great teams have won with QB's that bad or worse. ( Dilfer, McMahon)

The one reason that I didn't include the 07 Pats is because of the term "team". Yes, 18-0 going in and a huge favorite but a lot of similarities to this years Broncos. A dominant offense that steamrolled every team in their way but it covered up a pretty average defense, imo.

And that, for me, is what opens this up for debate.

darken65

Warped Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,199.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would have to agree with many here that the undefeated Pats in the SB was the best team never to win. If not for a retarted Eli moment of clarity and a lucky catch the Pats would have won it all and those old pricks from Miami would finally go away.

sonnyblack65

Hoopla Cash
$ 40,000.79
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would have to agree with many here that the undefeated Pats in the SB was the best team never to win. If not for a retarted Eli moment of clarity and a lucky catch the Pats would have won it all and those old pricks from Miami would finally go away.

Good point especially Mercury Morris " they aint in our neighborhood" like to smash a champagne bottle over that shmuck, Shula is good in my book

Midnightangel

Troll slayer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It was a little more complicated than that.

If you truly have the best team, then your defense should have been able to stop that. The '07 Pats were all offense and when the Giants managed to get to Brady with just a 4 man pass rush, they were stopped cold. The Giants offense wasn't THAT great.