• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Best seats

NinerFan52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So I'm a Niner fan, but I owe my buddy tickets to a game. He is a huge Bears fan and so we are looking at the Dec 4th game in Chicago. Couple of questions I hope some locals can help me out with.

Where are the best seats? Club level of closer to the field?
Any good hotel recommendations? Somewhere central to Solider Field but also gives us options to go out for beers the night before.
any other Chicago advice would be appreciated. We would only be there a couple nights.

averagejoe

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry 52, but I rarely go to games. Can't help you there. I don't stay downtown either since I live in the rurals.

Find a small business hot dog place and order an Italian beef/sausage combo with hot peppers. If you decide to try a Chicago style pizza, just avoid Dominos, Papa Johns, or the other "fast pizza" chains. Find a Gioradano's, Lou Malnati's, or at minimum a Rosati's and order an Italian sausage pizza. Sausage in Chicago is not like sausage anywhere else in the country.

Enjoy your stay. And I hope your buddy's team wins.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@NinerFan52

I always like helping with these questions...

I've been to A LOT of games at Soldier Field (Grew up with a father who had season tickets), and I spent all of my life living in downtown Chicago. Until moving last year.

Do not waste your money on the seats low to the ground and close (seats are already ridiculously priced to begin with). You should know, that Soldier Field is the smallest stadium in the NFL, and the way it's done architecturally, the sections more or less stack up on top of each other. (They had to do it this way in order to keep the famous pillars surrounding it outside.) So, instead of getting further back, you just get a little bit higher. Then at the very top, in the 400's you start to feel far away... but really not until then. There's not many bad seats in the entire place, to be honest. Except deep into the end zone seats. Only place I ever sat where I was not happy.

Thus, the best seats to actually view the game, are actually the 200's and 300's (even the top deck is great if you're low). You have an unreal view if you're low on the second deck and towards the middle of the field. It's as good (or better, I swear) than the view you'd get of watching film most of the time. Very similar to the view you see on TV.

When you are in the lower section, it's very flat and you feel like you are looking far into the distance... It can be hard to get a good view. Go up to that second deck, I promise... It's the best. It drops down hovering over the lower level, you're just about as close and the only difference is that you have a better view looking down at the action. Which for football, is obviously better.

My hotel recommendation really depends on your price range. Michigan Avenue has quite a few hotels, and famous ones at that. The stir generally starts there on game day. If you walk out into the lobby of anyone of those hotels on game day. You will see Bears and visiting fans alike. Getting ready to head to the field or lot for the tailgate. The Congress, is a very historic hotel and you can get a room very reasonably. You can't miss the big lit up sign when you hit the Magnificent Mile or Lake Shore Drive when you get into the city.

If you don't mind spending up a bit more. There's the Hilton on Michigan Avenue. This is actually where the players stay the night before the game. It's very nice, and you will pay for it... but like I said, I don't know your price range. There's The Drake Hotel, which is one of the nicer hotels I've ever come across. A couple of blocks off of Michigan Ave. Unbelievable. You will pay for this as well. Although... I had to mention it, as it is my favorite hotel in the city. Possibly anywhere.

There's also a few Marriots not to far from there. However, that area... The Congress... The Hilton. Michigan Ave and Congress... Michigan Ave and Lake... This is where the action starts around game day. Go and cross over to Lake Shore drive and walk along the lake to the game. It's a fantastic walk, and very festive when the Bears are ready to do action. In December, the Lake may be completely frozen, which is also cool to see.

Bars the night before... In that area, you're walking distance from Rush Street. You're going to find a lot of the nicest bars and clubs in the city there. If you want to roll with the younger crowd, and drink cheaper. Take a cab or the red line very quickly north to Lincoln Park, Old Town or Wrigley. It won't disappoint if you're looking for a party. Especially Wrigley... Man... I've had some fun nights there.

Hope I helped, feel free to ask any follow up questions. I definitely have a lot of places I can recommend for some good Chicago food as well. Chicago and Solider Field are a great place to watch an NFL game.