• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Best plausible line-up next season

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here are two options I have been thinking/hoping of:

Option 1:

The Lakers draft Towns or Okafor and instantly add him to the lineup to start with Randle. They use approx $10m per, to sign Rondo to a 2 year contract and then sign fillers with the remainders. The lineup would look like:

C - Towns/Okafor
PF - Randle
SF - Kobe
SG - Clarkson
PG - Rondo

This would include both youth, talent and athletic ability along with veteran leadership in Kobe and Rondo

Option 2:

The team sign a big in free agency to a max contract and instead opt to draft D'Angelo Russell who can play both SG and PG.

C - Gasol/Aldridge/Jordan
PF - Randle
SF - Kobe (?)
SG - Clarkson
PG - Russell

Less veteran presence but a more experience front court with a hell of a lot of potential in the smaller positions.

What options would you prefer? Or perhaps something completely different? And how would those teams fare? Lottery again? Playoffs? Championship?

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I prefer any lineup without Rondo

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd be good with either lineup. However, I think I prefer lineup 2 if Minny takes Towns. Starting to like Russell better than Okafor.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea, IF the Lakers land one of the FA bigs that know how to play D and bring a decent offense as well, then taking either Okafor or Towns may be trumped by Russell especially if they have their eye on another big they can get later in this year's draft or somebody in future drafts. If Mitch's quote in the media about not waiting to build with the draft has any truth to it, perhaps that is what the Lakers will do.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea, IF the Lakers land one of the FA bigs that know how to play D and bring a decent offense as well, then taking either Okafor or Towns may be trumped by Russell especially if they have their eye on another big they can get later in this year's draft or somebody in future drafts. If Mitch's quote in the media about not waiting to build with the draft has any truth to it, perhaps that is what the Lakers will do.

Here's a little bit of a crazy (probably impossible) thought. If Minny takes Towns, what if the Lakers drafted Russell and then packaged the #27 and #34 picks along with maybe Hill or Swaggy to trade for another early first rounder, then take Cauley-Stein or maybe Kaminsky? Then go after Butler or someone in FA?

Cauley-Stein may not be possible because I believe he's projected top 10, but I think Kaminsky is projected as a later first round pick.

C - Cauley-Stein/Kaminsky
PF - Randle
SF - Butler
SG - Kobe
PG - Russell

Clarkson backs up both guard spots this year and then replaces Kobe when he retires.

Or, if they don't get Butler or someone (choosing to save cap space for when Kobe retires and the cap goes up).

C - Cauley-Stein/Kaminsky
PF - Randle
SF - Kobe
SG - Clarkson
PG - Russell

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That might be in the works as well. Kaminsky would be a good pick too. I think Clarkson is going to be a starter this coming year TJF12. The Lakers have him doing too much to be a bench sitter and I think they are going to pencil him in as the starter day one.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That might be in the works as well. Kaminsky would be a good pick too. I think Clarkson is going to be a starter this coming year TJF12. The Lakers have him doing too much to be a bench sitter and I think they are going to pencil him in as the starter day one.

You're probably right re: Clarkson. The only way that I see him not being a starter is if they take Russell in the draft or sign a proven FA point guard.

The good thing for Clarkson is that he is a combo guard, so he could see a lot of playing time backing up both guard positions, especially if the talk of managing Kobe's minutes (about 28-30 per game) and having him sit out a few games is true.

Then, when Kobe retires, he slides right in to the starting SG spot.

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Trade the #2 pick for Cousins. Steal Middleton from the Bucks:

C: Cousins
PF: Randle
SF: Middleton
SG: Bryant
PG: Clarkson

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Trade the #2 pick for Cousins. Steal Middleton from the Bucks:

C: Cousins
PF: Randle
SF: Middleton
SG: Bryant
PG: Clarkson

Haven't really kept up, but isn't Cousins considered a bit of a head case?

Because if so, we already have the head case part of the roster covered with Swaggy. :lol:

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Because if so, we already have the head case part of the roster covered with Swaggy. :lol:

A little bit. He's maturing though. He is still very young (turns 25 yo on 8/13) and on a pretty friendly contract for the next few seasons ($15.8 mil next season). A Cousins/Randle front court would be punishing.

The only problem with making a trade like that is it takes away their cap space. They wouldn't be able to sign a max free agent if they acquired Cousins.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Besides, Shaq is part owner of the Kings and has made it known through his new GM, Vlade Divac, that Cousins will be their first priority signing. And you are right TJF12, Cousins has a temper and is real headcase.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A little bit. He's maturing though. He is still very young (turns 25 yo on 8/13) and on a pretty friendly contract for the next few seasons ($15.8 mil next season). A Cousins/Randle front court would be punishing.

The only problem with making a trade like that is it takes away their cap space. They wouldn't be able to sign a max free agent if they acquired Cousins.

If he's matured some, then I'd say do it. As for the cap space/max FA. There's no question about Cousins talent and that if he keeps improving, will likely be a max guy with his next contract. So it would kind of be like getting a max FA guy before he can demand max money and just before the salary cap explodes.

Trade for him and then sign a 2nd tier role player or 2.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It doesn't help that the Kings keep changing staff around. No wonder he get ornery. They've had Karl on staff for about 4 months and there are already rumblings the owner and Divac pushing him around. Sactown's front office is a dumpster fire and it poisons everything else. Cousins desperately needs a fresh change of scenery. I think he'll be great wherever he ends up if he can get out.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It doesn't help that the Kings keep changing staff around. No wonder he get ornery. They've had Karl on staff for about 4 months and there are already rumblings the owner and Divac pushing him around. Sactown's front office is a dumpster fire and it poisons everything else. Cousins desperately needs a fresh change of scenery. I think he'll be great wherever he ends up if he can get out.

Wow. I knew the Kings FO was an issue, but I thought Shaq and Vlade were supposed to be cleaning that up. Maybe Cousins is a possibility after all then. He'd probably have to force a trade by letting the Kings know he won't re-sign with them, but he wouldn't be the first player to do that.

My only issue with him has been him being a head case. If that's more about the FO than him, then the Lakers should probably explore that option. I'd prefer they figure out a way to get him and keep the #2 pick though.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's why Gasol is a better choice. No issues and the Lakers get to keep the 2nd pick.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
PG: Jordan Clarkson, cheap vet FA
SG: Kobe Bryant, Nick Young, Jabari Brown
SF: DeMarre Carroll or Thaddeus Young, #24 pick
PF: Julius Randle, Tarik Black, Ryan Kelly
C: Towns/Okafor, Robin Lopez, Robert Sacre

tomodach10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Simple: Okafor/Towns, Kobe, Clarkson/Randle/tyus jones/Gasole or Aldridge/Norman Powel second round.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A little off topic, but speaking of Gasol's. I was at the Dodgers game yesterday and saw Pau there. Pretty cool. Especially since he's my favorite player.

He told me to tell retro he's gonna kick his ass for calling him Gasoft. :pound: