• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Best Guitar players

Best Ever

• Total voters

jonvi

La Familia Ohana
Hoopla Cash
$ 29,463.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Whatta you smokin', man? Page ripped off Hendrix, A LOT???? There might be similarities to the rhythm between the 2 songs but that can said for just about any songs out there.

The last thing Page did was rip off Jimi (or anyone else for that matter) a lot.

There's always something about one song that can be compared to another when it comes to music and sounding similar.

What you're calling ripped off, both those guys said they studied and learned from each other. Which isn't uncommon with musicians.

SaintGibbs

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
funny, I do not get so much as a sniff of others styles when I listen to Page

Led Zep I was chock full of songs lifted from the blues masters, many weren't even given credit originally for the songs they wrote.

He's still a badass.

SaintGibbs

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Page is more guilty of stealing 'songs' more than anybody's technique or style.

Jims_Doors

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What you're calling ripped off, both those guys said they studied and learned from each other. Which isn't uncommon with musicians.
I'm not saying he ripped off anyone. That's what another poster said that I quoted.

WhiteMamba

John: 8:36
Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now go and ask all five mentioned who is the GOAT, and they will all say Hendrix.'

How can anyone pick SRV over Hendrix? I refer you to the above Bill Burr video...that's like flying a plane, and comparing yourself to the Wright Brothers..lol

They will also give a nod to LeadBelly

WhiteMamba

John: 8:36
Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes. Given the thousands of great guitarists -- any narrow list almost ridiculous. I mean there are so many styles and genres of music over many generations.

Also, who's to say that the famous were ever really the best. The best were likely some crazy unknown geniuses we've never heard...

Just like Ronnie Van Zant said about Curtis Lowe. Now if that blues singer from the south said Curtis Lowe "Was the finest picker to ever play the Blues" this statement above is further justified.

[YOUTUBE]03TgkCVDlrA&feature=player_detailpage[/YOUTUBE]

MrMoJoRisin63

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've been playing guitar for 30 years, and none of the players on that list are in my top ten.

IMHO, Django Reinhardt, Les Paul, Charlie Christian, Joe Pass, John McClaughlin, Al Dimeola, Tommy Emmanuel, Steve Vai, Eric Johnson, Roy Clark, Jeff Beck, Shawn Lane, and Paul Gilbert are technically more proficient, and considerably more prolific in talent than any of the folks on that list.

In reality, there is no finish line, no speed limit or other quantitative measure that can honestly discern just who is better when it comes to guitar playing. Just like surfing, the guy having the most fun is the best

Al Dimeola is in a class to himself. That is a guitar plating SOB. Not sure how Missed him I guess I was thinking mostly rock genre.

packerzrule

Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 30.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Led Zep I was chock full of songs lifted from the blues masters, many weren't even given credit originally for the songs they wrote.

He's still a badass.

most of the British Invasion hits were from the original Blues Masters ( Rollling Stones, Kinks, etc). They added a style all of their own however.

Where does John Entwistle come in on your list? Seems like people love him or hate him.

I will include him and Mike Rutherford on the list

SaintGibbs

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jaco Pastorious is my favorite bass player.

Jaco was the man.

James Jamerson was also an amazing bassist. The Motown Sound was founded on his playing.

Les Claypool(Primus), Tony Levin(King Crimson, Peter Gabriel), and Victor Wooten are my personal faves on bass.

SaintGibbs

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
most of the British Invasion hits were from the original Blues Masters ( Rollling Stones, Kinks, etc). They added a style all of their own however.

No argument here. To an extent, we're all stealing from our influences...some to a more recognizable degree than others. If it's good, it's good and there's no denying it.

geneh_33

Go Home Run Heels!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tobad Randy Rhodes died so young. He could rock! And he may have been able to bypass at least some of the people on this list if he had lived longer.

Edisto_Tiger

Member Sporting a Natty
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1a Stevie Ray Vaughn
1b Jeff Beck

Then everyone else.

I can see an argument made for top 10 in these Guitarists. Keith Richards, Pete Townsend, Duane Allman, David Gilmore, Neil Young, Les Paul (duh), Brian May, John Frusciante

abs imo Slash and Angus shouldnt be here. More like around 50ish

yup

:suds: