• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Best Guitar players

Best Ever

• Total voters

FSUmanager

FeartheSpear
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Sorry Hammer, but trying to compare Tears in Heaven to Crazy Train is a bit misleading. Different types of music all together. Now can Randy Rhodes play all of the different genres? I am not sure, but take a look at this.

Go to the 4 minute mark

and then this.

Again different types of music altogether. Also Randy RHodes can't sing for shit.

Last edited by a moderator:

KansasSooner

Aces & eights
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pat Metheny I almost put into another category, not the *most* impressive guitar player ever (don't get me wrong, he's awesome) but his songwriting and overall musical performances are just so great. Produces magic more often than most others are capable of. Take a song like "Message to a Friend", it doesn't stick to any sort of conventional song structure, but creates the most fascinating and appropriate atmosphere, it really does sound like a letter to an old friend, with the huge variety of subtle emotions that can cover.

Sounds so much like Robin Trower's "Daydream" from his first album. One of my favorite Trower cuts is "Bluebird", beautiful playing by Trower.

MrMoJoRisin63

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Buckethead's a badass

LMAO The first time I saw that guy I honeslty said to myself, " This is some kind of stupid gimmick" then I watched, then I watched in awe, then I said to myself " Damn this is not some stupid gimmick"

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LMAO The first time I saw that guy I honeslty said to myself, " This is some kind of stupid gimmick" then I watched, then I watched in awe, then I said to myself " Damn this is not some stupid gimmick"

Yup. And then yer like, nope, he's just a mutant that can wail.

spacedoodoopistol

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
The first time I saw Buckethead I had heard the name, but knew nothing else, he was playing with the incredible Claypool's Bucket of Bernie Brains lineup.....I was on some some impressively strong psychedelics.....he's up there shredding like crazy and doing nunchuks and moonwalks and the Star Wars and Willy Wonka themes.....it almost broke my brain it was so awesome and unexpected. (THEN Ween came on...holy shit). Easily one of my 3 favorite shows ever.

SaintGibbs

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Speaking of Buckethead, the wife and I saw him performing in a delicatessen about 8 years ago. Yes, he was performing at a deli. Anyway, there's this really pretty young thing standing beside us, and she sees a dude in a Dream Theater shirt and exclaims, 'John Petrucci is the greatest guitarist alive'. I was amused, and asked her why she thought that, and it came down to speed and technique and metal...etc. She asked who I thought was the best, and I gave her the politically correct, 'oh, there's no real best. There are so many amazing players across so many genre's that there's no real honest way to measure of all the criteria involved, and so there's no real way to judge who is better than anybody else'.

Buckethead's opening act was 'That One Guy', and this dude played a bunch of metal pipes fashioned together into some wild instrument that had one bass string, a pickup and a bunch of midi triggers that allowed him slap it around and make all these crazy techno sounds. It was like a rave for a little while, techno beats and crazy lyrics and he looked weird too. At one point, he picks up a cowboy boot. Just one single cowboy boot, with a guitar jack in the heel. He puts an instrument cable into the heel, and starts tapping on the boot. Bending the toe back and forth to change the pitch, and then running it through some effects and a looper and the next thing you know, he's playing a fucking song on a fucking cowboy boot like he's the fucking boss.

When he was done, I turned to that pretty young thing and I looked her dead in the eye and said...

'That guy right there is the greatest boot player alive!'

that1guy.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pat Metheny I almost put into another category, not the *most* impressive guitar player ever (don't get me wrong, he's awesome) but his songwriting and overall musical performances are just so great. Produces magic more often than most others are capable of. Take a song like "Message to a Friend", it doesn't stick to any sort of conventional song structure, but creates the most fascinating and appropriate atmosphere, it really does sound like a letter to an old friend, with the huge variety of subtle emotions that can cover.

He is a master of building up to climaxes. I mean this seriously, his music is sexual as hell. Just watch the guy playing and tell me he's not feeling it.

Take 10 minutes and watch this and be changed.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nbVtgr9brZk]Pat Metheny Group - To the end of the world -Live in japan - YouTube[/ame]

occupant

Resident Inhabitant and nerve striker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,345.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did something like this on FB some time ago...here was my top 15
1.Jimi Hendrix

2.Frank Zappa

3.Adrian Belew

4.Eddie Van Halen

5.Billy Gibbons

6.Jimmy Page

7.Steve Vai

8.Steve Hillage

9.Mickey "Dean Ween" Melchiondo

10.Jeff "Skunk" Baxter

11.Denis "Piggy" D'Amour

12.Randy Rhoads

13.Jerry Garcia

14.Jack White

15.Buckethead

KansasSooner

Aces & eights
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
See, that's why it's so hard to come up with the best. I would have never thought about Billy Gibbons, who I considered about the same as John Fogerty. Good, but not great.

MrMoJoRisin63

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
See, that's why it's so hard to come up with the best. I would have never thought about Billy Gibbons, who I considered about the same as John Fogerty. Good, but not great.

Not to mention it's all opinion and music for the most part is subjective

HammerDown

Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not to mention it's all opinion and music for the most part is subjective

It's fun to debate it but no one's opinion really matters. We like who we want to like.

HammerDown

Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No one mentioned Leo Kottke or Larry Coryell.

MrMoJoRisin63

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Best argument I watched was between who was the better on piano, Elton John or Billy Joel. Some real fireworks there.

And the correct answer would be Kieth Emerson or Rick Wakeman

spacedoodoopistol

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
It's fun to debate it but no one's opinion really matters. We like who we want to like.

See, this is why we need stats for musicians, and advanced stats to accurately evaluate guitarists. Settle this shit once and for all. :)