• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Best grain for thirty ought six?

Midnightangel

Troll slayer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seems to be a topic of great discussion with the hunters with whom I work.

Some say 165 is a great balance.

Another guy said he likes 180.

Last guy said he uses 220 grain and just knocks the frak out of the deer.

Thoughts?

AHFox

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Usually 150 to 180 grain bullets work the best. But as I always say let the rifle tell what bullet and bullet weight it likes best. Accurate rifles make me happy regardless of what bullet or bullet weight.

Midnightangel

Troll slayer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Usually 150 to 180 grain bullets work the best. But as I always say let the rifle tell what bullet and bullet weight it likes best. Accurate rifles make me happy regardless of what bullet or bullet weight.

That's actually a good point. TY.

BF4L

Black/Gold Glasses
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,520.25
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This 100%

My loads for pistol shooting with 38 special need to be 4.2 grains with a 158 grain bullet. With that load my S&W 686 is dead on accurate I mean eyeball accurate. My buddy has the exact same gun and using the exact same powder and bullet wants his to be 4.5. I also believe that a lot of it has to do with your confidence.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also depends on what you are hunting… Typically whitetails or muleys you don't need more than 150 grain, 165-170 being highest grain needed. I haven't used the factory 180's, but I have heard that the jacket is too thick to open reliably so people think going bigger is the smarter decision, which isn't the case. Also I think anything over 170 is overkill on deer. I use 150g Hornady Interbonds (SST's as well) because I like having as much velocity as possible to minimize lead on running deer.

But whatever works for your gun. Let your target practice decide. Reliability on precision goes a long way for making this decision.

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it"

AHFox

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also depends on what you are hunting… Typically whitetails or muleys you don't need more than 150 grain, 165-170 being highest grain needed. I haven't used the factory 180's, but I have heard that the jacket is too thick to open reliably so people think going bigger is the smarter decision, which isn't the case. Also I think anything over 170 is overkill on deer. I use 150g Hornady Interbonds (SST's as well) because I like having as much velocity as possible to minimize lead on running deer.

But whatever works for your gun. Let your target practice decide. Reliability on precision goes a long way for making this decision.

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it"

I've always preferred bigger bullets over lighter bullets. But if the rifle doesn't shoot the bigger bullets as well as the lighter bullets then shoot the lighter bullets. The bullet technology out there today it really doesn't matter anymore most bullets preform like they should.

I'd rather have a big bullet that's accurate moving 2500 FPS to 2900 FPS over a lighter bullet moving at 3100FPS to 3400 FPS. It's not shock that kills the animal so much as it is the energy delivered to the animal. Big heavy bullets that can break bones and deliver all the energy into that animal drop it, in it tracks. I don't want the animal to go more then 10 feet.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've always preferred bigger bullets over lighter bullets. But if the rifle doesn't shoot the bigger bullets as well as the lighter bullets then shoot the lighter bullets. The bullet technology out there today it really doesn't matter anymore most bullets preform like they should.

I'd rather have a big bullet that's accurate moving 2500 FPS to 2900 FPS over a lighter bullet moving at 3100FPS to 3400 FPS. It's not shock that kills the animal so much as it is the energy delivered to the animal. Big heavy bullets that can break bones and deliver all the energy into that animal drop it, in it tracks. I don't want the animal to go more then 10 feet.

Never had a problem dropping an animal with the first shot with 150-165g. But it's definitely personal preference. If we are just talking about damage on normal sized game, then any bullet is going to get the job done. If the animal is over 250 lbs then you are likely going to need something more than 165g.

AHFox

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Never had a problem dropping an animal with the first shot with 150-165g. But it's definitely personal preference. If we are just talking about damage on normal sized game, then any bullet is going to get the job done. If the animal is over 250 lbs then you are likely going to need something more than 165g.

Not saying you haven't but if you ever do with lighter bullets and that animal gets away you'll appreciate the heavier bullets. I tend to shoot big game in the front shoulder to break it down and put it on the ground. This is another reason why I prefer heavy bullets.

night

Undocumented PhD
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
180 is the most accurate for my bolt action. I agree with AHfox, if anything get a few rounds and find what has the best grouping. Field testing is always the best way to match your bullet with your tool.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Well-Known, and Feared, Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I hate to break this to you, but E=MV2.....

Energy that the bullet delivers is directly related to the mass of the object AND it's velocity. If I throw a 180 grain bullet at you...it's not going to do much to you. And while the grain of the bullet does matter, the velocity matters just as much especially in ballistics. The shock of the bullet entering on extremely high-speed rounds will actually cause damage all on it's own.

mrwallace2ku

Treehugger
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Energy that the bullet delivers is directly related to the mass of the object AND it's velocity. If I throw a 180 grain bullet at you...it's not going to do much to you. And while the grain of the bullet does matter, the velocity matters just as much especially in ballistics. The shock of the bullet entering on extremely high-speed rounds will actually cause damage all on it's own.

I'll remember THAT next I'm starin down some legal game IN THE FUCKING WOODZ wif a loaded .06. :doh:

Mangler

Dis-member
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

30-06 for deer, I would go 150-180, Elk 220. For PA whitetails and Wyoming Mule deer and antelope I use a 257 Ackley Improved. 117 gr Sierra BT.

Last edited by a moderator:

AHFox

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You can use all the physics you want, I still take my heavier bullets over lighter bullets every day. I've killed enough big game to know that heavier bullets out preform lighter bullets. To many people get carried away with velocity when shooting rifles. We as Americans tend to think that faster is always better when it's not always the case. Accuracy is always number one. Yes, high velocity does create its own type of damage. You still need to ask yourself, will the damage be enough to drop that animal on the ground right then and now. That's not always the case. I again want to break bone and drop the animal right where it stands. That's why I use heavy bullets with velocities from 2500 to 2900 its worked for years on big game and will continue to do so.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Well-Known, and Feared, Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You can use all the physics you want, I still take my heavier bullets over lighter bullets every day. I've killed enough big game to know that heavier bullets out preform lighter bullets. To many people get carried away with velocity when shooting rifles. We as Americans tend to think that faster is always better when it's not always the case. Accuracy is always number one. Yes, high velocity does create its own type of damage. You still need to ask yourself, will the damage be enough to drop that animal on the ground right then and now. That's not always the case. I again want to break bone and drop the animal right where it stands. That's why I use heavy bullets with velocities from 2500 to 2900 its worked for years on big game and will continue to do so.
Why Bullet Statistics are Useless | Shooting The Bull

Loneranger

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After 38 yrs of hunting with an 06 I can tell ya I've shot them all. I've gone back and forth numerous times and really don't know why. Some consideration has to be given to the area where you hunt i.e. what is the typical distance of your shot ? Up here we don't shoot very far so I have no concerns about all that ballistic shit the nuts like to talk about. I hunted for yrs with 165's and I liked them , prior to that it was mostly 180's. I'm hunting whitetails btw and I hunt in very heavily wooded areas. The last couple yrs I've gone back to the ole Remington 180 / core lokt bullet and will probably stay here for a while. One thing I know about that bullet - when it hits a deer the SOB falls and fast. That's pretty much all I care about.

JuiceTheGator

Purveyor of Justice
Hoopla Cash
$ 903.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My bro and dad and I always used the 220 because we were hunting in a marsh with a lotta tall grass n such. Supposed, the inertia of the 220 would be less likely to be deflected by something small. Of course, that has zero basis in proven facts of any kind.

AHFox

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Maize thanks for information. I was under the assumption we were talking about bullets for big game that are designed for controlled expansion? If that's the cased and we are talking about just that then every bullet maker out there designs there bullets to work under standard velocities. Which tend to be in the range that I've stated before. So if I've got the same bullet lets say 150 Nosler Partition and a 180 Nosler Partition and the shoot equally the same out of your .30-06. Then I will always take the heavier bullet even on deer size game. Lighter bullets have there place and to me it's antelope and varmints, lite skin and small frame animals require rapid expansion. They still don't need to screaming out the muzzle at 4000fps.

I have to say I loved the 124 grains on cornflakes bullet example. :L If you don't like statistics that's fine But the cornflake example is just like Roy Weatherby back in 1951 stating his .257 Wby Mag and .270 Wby Mags were better choices for hunting African dangerous game then a .375 H&H or .470 Nitro Express. It's just doesn't add up.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OP shouldn't be allowed to possess firearms.