• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Best Book / Worst Movie Combo

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let's be honest. Very few great books become great movies . What's the worst movie adaptation of a great book ??

For ne this is easy

Enders Game is one of, if not my all time, favorite books. The movie was abysmal.

My other favorite book is The Talisman. I've long wanted a movie but after watching what was done to Enders Game I now am not sure

What's your choice ?

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let's be honest. Very few great books become great movies . What's the worst movie adaptation of a great book ??

For ne this is easy

Enders Game is one of, if not my all time, favorite books. The movie was abysmal.

My other favorite book is The Talisman. I've long wanted a movie but after watching what was done to Enders Game I now am not sure

What's your choice ?
Talisman was a good book, but after seeing what they did with the Dark Tower, there is no way it would be given justice. And if the viewer is not familiar with the spokes, or the Crimson King, or The Stand, would the Talisman even have the same power?

Blackshirts BLVD

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Twilight... though admittedly, I have never read the books annnnd I don't think I have seen all the movies. But the movies I have seen are dumb as shit.

nynasty

nynasty
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,181.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Talisman was a good book, but after seeing what they did with the Dark Tower, there is no way it would be given justice. And if the viewer is not familiar with the spokes, or the Crimson King, or The Stand, would the Talisman even have the same power?

That's my answer. The Dark Tower film was a disaster.

Dis-Honorable mention to the Sean Penn remake of "All The King's Men". A reboot was not necessary. The first film was miles better.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I googled about eight lists and I realized that I avoided most of these movies. I actually didn't hate the Enders Game movie but its very forgettable so I can see why someone would list that. I have seen the movie Ready Player One and I think that should qualify for these types of lists and I don't see it on there.

The one movie that I haven't seen that you'd have to pay me to watch would be A Wrinkle in Time.

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Book of Three/Black Cauldron.

Those are the books that got me into reading. I lost track of all the books my mom brought from the library trying to get me to read before I picked up that one and was hooked. I was super pumped when I found out there was a cartoon on it, but after watching it the kid me thought that I had somehow read the book wrong.

returnofjakedog

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some obvious ones:

Tim Burton shits on the classics:
*Alice in Wonderland
*Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
-I like a lot of Burton's stuff (particularly the early stuff) but I really want to slap him for the music and the Willie Wonka portrayl.

Dr. Seuss rolls over in his grave:
*The Cat in the Hat
*How the Grinch Stole Christmas
-The Cat in the Hat actually made Seuss' widow take legal action to ensure that no more live action movies be made from his stories!

Fuck J.R.R. Tolkien, we need tons of shitty cgi!
*The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey
*The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug
*The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies
-On top of the horrible cgi barrel chase on the river, the decision to drag a 200 page novella into 3 two hour plus movies was just a horribly ill-fated and pathetic money grab.

ill

THRILLHO
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

For ne this is easy

What's your choice ?
I actually went back and rewatched the movie and while it isn't great...it's not terrible.

I agree that they miss a lot of the psychological damage done to Ender by his brother and others, but again, wasn't terrible terrible.

I might need to reread the book though

ill

THRILLHO
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some obvious ones:

Tim Burton shits on the classics:
*Alice in Wonderland
*Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
-I like a lot of Burton's stuff (particularly the early stuff) but I really want to slap him for the music and the Willie Wonka portrayl.

Dr. Seuss rolls over in his grave:
*The Cat in the Hat
*How the Grinch Stole Christmas
-The Cat in the Hat actually made Seuss' widow take legal action to ensure that no more live action movies be made from his stories!

Fuck J.R.R. Tolkien, we need tons of shitty cgi!
*The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey
*The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug
*The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies
-On top of the horrible cgi barrel chase on the river, the decision to drag a 200 page novella into 3 two hour plus movies was just a horribly ill-fated and pathetic money grab.
I watched the Grinch (with Jim Carrey) for the first time this Christmas and thought it was pretty good.

and I think Seuss's widow approved of that one.

The Hobbit movies pissed me off. Should not have been made into three movies and there was so much unnecessary shit in there...not good.

Hank Kingsley

Undefeated
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I watched the Grinch (with Jim Carrey) for the first time this Christmas and thought it was pretty good.

The Hobbit movies pissed me off. Should not have been made into three movies and there was so much unnecessary shit in there...not good.

Never even watched a single Hobbitt movie.

I neve read the book either.

ill

THRILLHO
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Never even watched a single Hobbitt movie.

I neve read the book either.
the book is one of my favorites, read it in high school.

I think I watched the first of the Hobbit movies...maybe the second, too...but they try to put too much "action" in where it isn't necessary.

but they need three 3-hr movies...so there's a lot of filler.

ill

THRILLHO
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was disappointed in the Ready Player One movie

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's my answer. The Dark Tower film was a disaster.

Dis-Honorable mention to the Sean Penn remake of "All The King's Men". A reboot was not necessary. The first film was miles better.

A lot of Stephen King's books have been made into movie dreck (and often TV movies/mini-series at that).

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yeah, the Hobbit should've been one movie. One movie per book is plenty, even if it runs longer as a result. It was originally only a 310 page book. They were trying to stretch out the franchise unnecessarily. There are plenty of other fantasy series to move on to, like the Shannara books.

Reactions: ill

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would love to see the Doc Savage books made into new movies, but not if they aren't in the right hands of course.

Hank Kingsley

Undefeated
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the book is one of my favorites, read it in high school.

I think I watched the first of the Hobbit movies...maybe the second, too...but they try to put too much "action" in where it isn't necessary.

but they need three 3-hr movies...so there's a lot of filler.

Always felt it was aimed at kids.

I read LOTR in grade 10. Didn't need The Hobbitt.

I think Jackson filmed them differently too? Higher frame rate or something? I surfed through one and it was a jittery bunch of little figures fighting hordes of orcs. Just seemed silly.

Debbie Does

Question Authority
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Starship Troopers was a mediocre book they made into a stupid movie.

Clive Cussler wrote great action novels, but the movies they made of some of them just didn't work.

ill

THRILLHO
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Starship Troopers was a mediocre book they made into a stupid movie.

Clive Cussler wrote great action novels, but the movies they made of some of them just didn't work.
the Starship Troopers movie is one of my favorite cult classic movies

nynasty

nynasty
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,181.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A lot of Stephen King's books have been made into movie dreck (and often TV movies/mini-series at that).

His short stories (The Body, Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank redemption) seem to come across better on screen.