• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Ben Affleck and Jennifer Garner

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ben Affleck-Jennifer Garner Divorce Could Show the Power of 10 - Yahoo Celebrity

What a marriage lasting very near 10 years — either below or above — might signify for a celebrity couple in California.
By ending her marriage to Ben Affleck now, Jennifer Garner has gotten 10 years of wedlock. And that could be significant, say legal observers.

"A marriage of 10 years or more is deemed a lengthy marriage in California," says Scott Robinson at Liner LLP. "This creates some issues, chiefly with regard to spousal support, and is one of many factors the court must consider in determining whether there should be any spousal support and, if there is, the amount and duration."

The "10 year rule" is part of California's family code and could also mean that a judge will be looking after the Affleck-Garner split for years to come.

Related: Celebrity Breakups of 2015

For those looking for insight into celebrity divorces, a marriage falling just short of 10 years or barely making it past the mark provides a lot of room for speculation. An example: If a couple has a prenuptial agreement, spousal support (also called alimony) might be dictated by contract and give a judge less latitude toward ordering one spouse to make ongoing payments to another. And so, a marriage lasting very near the 10 year mark — either below or above — might be indicative of no prenup.

Burt Levitch, an attorney at Rosenfeld Meyer & Susman, says he's counseled well-heeled clients in troubled marriages to be mindful of the ticking clock. "If they're in year eight or nine and feeling vulnerable, go ahead and file for dissolution," he says.

Godstree

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After their split, if Jennifer plays her cards right, she can have me. Yummy.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After their split, if Jennifer plays her cards right, she can have me. Yummy.

She has to play her cards? I'd wouldn't make her "play" anything, lol