• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Belt to be on CSN Hot Stove tonite

CameronFrye

Certifiable A-hole
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Urban: Belt to help kick off Hot Stove show

Mychael Urban
CSNBayArea.com

The most common question I get every offseason is logical: What do you do in the offseason?

The answer I always give: What offseason?

There is no offseason in baseball. The games simply move from the field to the front office.

That's why baseball's offseason has its own name: the hot-stove season. No other sport captivates its fans year-round as does baseball, and there isn't a close second.

Thus, I find myself as busy in November, December and January as I am during the nine months of competition.

Now I'm about to get busier, and I couldn't be happier.

On Tuesday at 6:30 p.m., right after the early version of SportsNet Central on CSN Bay Area, I'll be hosting our new, live “Hot Stove Show.” It's my first crack at hosting something on a regular basis, so I should probably be a little nervous, but knowing the show that's being put together as you read these very words puts me at ease.

Let's get to the highlight of the show right away: I just got off the phone with Brandon Belt, the Giants' top prospect, and he's agreed to be the first-ever player guest on the show.

Getting Belt is pretty exciting for all of us here because he's got the name that Giants fans have been hearing about for quite some time, often included in a sentence that features, "… similar to Buster Posey." But while you're probably heard all about Belt, you haven't yet heard from him. This will be his first major media appearance with a Bay Area outlet.

I've been speaking with young Mr. Belt for several weeks now, and if he's half as good on the field and on the air as he is on the phone, you're going to love the kid.

Well-spoken and confident yet also humble with a Lone Star-sized side order of aw-shucks to him, Belt is going to join us live from a television station in Texas to talk about his rapid rise through the minors, his offseason training, and his plans on making the team as a regular contributor right out of camp.

Before Belt joins us, I'll introduce two of the better baseball journalists in the country, both from the San Francisco Chronicle. With Susan Slusser on the A's -- Oakland fans will get just as much out of this show as their cross-bay counterparts -- and John Shea on the Giants, we'll take a look at what the Bay Area's teams have done thus far over the winter and weigh in with our respective thoughts.

Also during the show, we'll get a chance to talk directly to you, and the chain of communication starts right here if you'd like.

Either hit me with an e-mail at [email protected], a tweet (@MUrbanCSN) or by reaching me via Facebook and your question -- to me, or Susan, or John or all three -- might get used and answered right there on the set!

I'd like the Bay Area's baseball fans to become a big part of what we're doing, so fire away.

We might also mix in an out-of-town writer to get a national perspective on things, but rest assured that every Hot Stove angle -- be it Giants or A's or the very latest on the deals and players making big news across the country -- will be covered one way or another.

The show will air every Tuesday between now and the start of spring training, and each week you’ll get to hear from players, executives, scouts, writers and anyone else with an interesting take on the game.

It's an exciting time for me personally; it still seems surreal that I get the keys to this shiny new baseball vehicle.

It's an exciting time for us as a network and website; both enjoyed unprecedented success in 2010 and now has to man up -- or, as our hilarious new Insider ads say, “Fan Up” -- to avoid the dreaded "sophomore slump," so to speak.

And it's an exciting time for baseball. It always is. And come Tuesday -- the show re-airs at 10 p.m. -- our very own hot stove comes to a boil once again. Can’t wait to show y’all what’s cookin’.

Last edited by a moderator:

Heathbar012

Senioritis Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks, cam. Please post a link to the Belt interview after it airs, if I can't find it first (just outside of CSN Bay Area's range).

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks for the heads up and the link Cam.