• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

baylor coach says Ohio st nearly didn't make playoff

Tin Man

Loquacious Constituent
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,025.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Briles has a bone to pick, it is with his own conference. Baylor should have been anointed the one true champion. Instead, they had to "share" the B12-2 championship with a team Baylor beat because conference whores were politickin' to put that other team in the first ever CFP pageant.

Sgt Brutus

Goober
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After watching the playoff games multiple times now, it was clear the Sugar Bowl vs. Alabama was the real NCC game. Not trying to take away anything from Oregon, at all. It's just clear how dominant we were against Oregon and Alabama was a much tighter game. Talent wise across the board too Bama>Oregon. Mariota was the best player in college football but the team around him, specifically the lines were not up to par.

Also you must take into account the coaching aspect where tOSU and Bama have the two best coaches in the game.

Both games tOSU wins by bigger margins if we didn't kick ourselves with bad turnovers.

Mistaken4193

REGISTERED GUMP!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 142.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After watching the playoff games multiple times now, it was clear the Sugar Bowl vs. Alabama was the real NCC game. Not trying to take away anything from Oregon, at all. It's just clear how dominant we were against Oregon and Alabama was a much tighter game. Talent wise across the board too Bama>Oregon. Mariota was the best player in college football but the team around him, specifically the lines were not up to par.

Also you must take into account the coaching aspect where tOSU and Bama have the two best coaches in the game.

Both games tOSU wins by bigger margins if we didn't kick ourselves with bad turnovers.

I disagree, I think the Sugar Bowl ended up with about the right score. Bama gave up 14 points on turnovers(The INT for a touchdown, and the INT with 1st and 10 from the tOSU 23) and tOSU gave up 14 on turnovers(The Elliot fumble and the INT). So I thought 42-35 was a pretty accurate score.

ElTexan

Board Chancellor Emeritus
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good Morning Huw, it's not at all an issue for me but my opinion is that Briles is becoming to sound kinda like 'used car salesman' slimy, trying to sell something that doesn't exist.

And in the article he flat out contradicts the playoff committee at the same time refusing to name his inaccurate source. At least Patterson at TCU let the play on the field do all his talking.

How did he contradict the committee?

axisoftime

Drinkslinger
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like Coach Briles. Not shy to speak his mind. Hilarious when angry. That view of him flustered and struggling to spit in the turf after Sparty scored the go ahead TD still makes me laugh :lol:

TheDayMan

Day Butt Ass the sadgaydayboy
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,190.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah sure they did. Forced 4 turnovers and at one point in second half the game was z21-20 and Oregon had all momentum

You are lost so far up your own ass it's ridiculous...

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like Coach Briles. Not shy to speak his mind. Hilarious when angry. That view of him flustered and struggling to spit in the turf after Sparty scored the go ahead TD still makes me laugh :lol:

I missed it. Can you post a picture?

TheRobotDevil

Immortal
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Carrington had played....

They don't drop two huge passes and have their momentum and tempo disrupted. Those drops by wide open recievers on the first few series were huge. Carrington was out due to his own stupidity though. Allen was out because of an injury from the FSU game. The hit at Wr was noticeable

TheRobotDevil

Immortal
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How close the vote was is irrelevant. The committee got it right the best 4 teams were in the playoffs.

Tin Man

Loquacious Constituent
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,025.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oregon sucked in the Championship game.

No, they played football. They may not have played it as well as their opponents, but that's what I saw them doing. Didn't see any sucking going on, but then, I don't observe sporting events with large audiences while having an eye out for "knob polishing." To each his own, I guess.

Norka!

High Dummies, Friends & Lovers!
Hoopla Cash
$ 764.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How did he contradict the committee?

Hi El Texan, Briles is claiming an unknown source told him the vote was 8-4 but Bill Hancock the Committee guy said something very different. I assume you read the article but if not here's what Hancock said:

"All votes are taken confidentially, and about three dozen votes were taken every meeting. Teams are considered in groups no smaller than three. An 8-4 vote would not be possible under the committee's protocol."

If that's not a contradiction then at the very least, Briles and Hancock are not on the same page.

tducey

Sports discussion
Hoopla Cash
$ 46,233.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I thought Baylor would have made it as well.

TexasExes98

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How close the vote was is irrelevant. The committee got it right the best 4 teams were in the playoffs.

I'm not sure FSU was one of the best 4 though and neither did the committee, IMO. They kept FSU in the top 4 b/c they were the defending champs and undefeated. But eye test alone told you FSU wasn't top 4. Oregon then went on to confirm that.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not sure FSU was one of the best 4 though and neither did the committee, IMO. They kept FSU in the top 4 b/c they were the defending champs and undefeated. But eye test alone told you FSU wasn't top 4. Oregon then went on to confirm that.

And Michigan State confirmed that Baylor shouldn't have been in the playoffs either. No amount of "but if "will change that.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Baylor was on par with Michigan State and Michigan State clearly was not good enough for the playoffs.

Norka!

High Dummies, Friends & Lovers!
Hoopla Cash
$ 764.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey Art, go schedule a team or two with a pulse OOC and Oh yea, cant wait to break it off in you again in 2015.

Yours Truly,

WVU

I agree Gold, Baylor might have an even tougher time next season for all the same reasons that hurt them last season.

And the idea that Briles is selling something that doesn't exist, he uses the same concept to run his offense, fresh legs and timing slant patterns, lull the opposing D to sleep with bubble screens then fake 'em out and go long for a score.

This type of offense relies on defensive breakdowns and confusion and finally exhaustion, it's legit but it's kind of a 'smoke and mirrors' situation. And finally defenses are figuring out how to better defend these type of offenses.

Baylor's offense gets a lot of attention but it's their own improvement on D that's making them so much more competitive over the last several years.

Selling things that don't exist, another big advantage Baylor and the Big XII created was the extra (third) bye week, setting up their last conference game the same weekend that the Conference Championships are played. The extra week of rest is huge but when Bowlsby tries to compare Baylor's last game of the regular season (a win over K-St.) with the Big Ten Championship game... the Committee wasn't buying it.

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,086.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Norka!!! Where have you been hiding???