• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Battle for the silver boot continues in Houston 05/11-05/13

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good read. Still owe $49 Mil to Odor makes a sick man want to puke. How in heck did FO ever think of giving such an extension on his contract. Talk about lessons learned.

Out of all the things which have happened under JD's watch, this one made me - both then and now - just scratch my head.......Makes no sense to have done this so early on. We had such a long period of time to keep evaluating him before making this commitment, it's just mind boggling to what the thought process, and JD's pitch to the wallets, must have been......What, "we've got to sign him now or else next year it's gonna double?"

Nightcrawler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Bautista incident endeared him to the fans and the team.

The rest is history.

There’s no baseball reasons to explain why Odor got that contract.

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thinking we have to add Matuella this offseason so yeah would really like to see him ramp it up.

Also yes the CF depth in the minors is quite encouraging. Going to be interesting how this roster pans out in a couple of years. Strong outfield defense is underrated. With Gallo, DDJ and Maz something will have to give at some point
I am wondering if at some point it might be wise to make a Teixeira-like trade to enhance our final product from rebuilding. Not that we have a player of his caliber yor anything. I mean trading away a good young player when he still has 2-3 years of control left so we can get more for him. That way when our guys down at the lower levels are ready the prospects we get in the Teixeira-like trade are ready too. We have some good young players who could very well leave for free agency about the time we are ready to compete again. It might be wise to see what we could get for one of them when we are looking to shop Hamels and Beltre and possibly Choo.

Kelleyman

Rebuild done....It all starts with pitching
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am wondering if at some point it might be wise to make a Teixeira-like trade to enhance our final product from rebuilding. Not that we have a player of his caliber yor anything. I mean trading away a good young player when he still has 2-3 years of control left so we can get more for him. That way when our guys down at the lower levels are ready the prospects we get in the Teixeira-like trade are ready too. We have some good young players who could very well leave for free agency about the time we are ready to compete again. It might be wise to see what we could get for one of them when we are looking to shop Hamels and Beltre and possibly Choo.

Good thought. I thought of moving someone too The player that came to mind was believe it or not was Gallo although there are a few flaws. 1 a good PR guy 2 should be developing more so more value next year 3. Sentimentally want to keep some of the Old Hickory crew together. Have to think who would be good choice. Hate to move Mazara.

Agree we need to pick up some pitching but really need some pitchers in minors to make a jump

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Someone getting called up?

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2018 Rangers MLB Draft preview: Cole Winn scouting report

Cole Winn is a 6’2”, 195 lb. righthanded pitcher from Lutheran High School in Orange, California. Prior to his senior season, Winn had been living and playing Colorado, where he was named the state High School Pitcher of the Year, but transferred to Lutheran for his senior year, and has moved up the draft boards with a strong spring. Winn features a mid-90s fastball and a solid breaking

Baseball America has Winn ranked #10 on their current top 500 draft list. MLB Pipeline has Winn at #15 on their draft board, praising his slider, which they call a “power breaker” (although BA likes his curve more than his slider). Keith Law has Winn at #11 on his rankings, and thinks he could have three plus pitches along with a repeatable delivery, which is very promising.

MLB Pipeline’s mock draft from the end of April has Winn going to the Rangers at #15, while Keith Law’s latest mock has Winn going to the Yankees at #23. Baseball America, on the other hand, has Winn going off the board prior to the Rangers, with the Orioles taking him at #11.

Winn isn’t as big as the prep righthanded pitchers you often see go in the first part of the first round, but if you think he’s going to have a solid three pitch mix, he seems to be a safe bet. BA has Winn going to the Orioles in part because they are risk-averse in regards to injury possibilities, and they see Winn as a fairly safe bet health-wise, at least as far as high school pitchers go. Winn probably doesn’t have the big ceiling some other prep pitchers do, but he gets praise for his polish and clean mechanics. One has to think there’s a strong chance he is off the board when Texas drafts, but if he’s there, he’s someone you would think the Rangers would have significant interest in.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good thought. I thought of moving someone too The player that came to mind was believe it or not was Gallo although there are a few flaws. 1 a good PR guy 2 should be developing more so more value next year 3. Sentimentally want to keep some of the Old Hickory crew together. Have to think who would be good choice. Hate to move Mazara.

Agree we need to pick up some pitching but really need some pitchers in minors to make a jump
There would be some options. I guess it would come down to what we can get for who, do we have a replacement for them on the way up, and what are our chances of signing them long term. If everything is equal on the signability front and replacement availability front then I would keep the best and trade the least. Least meaning a comparative term and not a derogatory term.

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

IKF hitting the bench

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2018 Rangers MLB Draft preview: Cole Winn scouting report

Cole Winn is a 6’2”, 195 lb. righthanded pitcher from Lutheran High School in Orange, California. Prior to his senior season, Winn had been living and playing Colorado, where he was named the state High School Pitcher of the Year, but transferred to Lutheran for his senior year, and has moved up the draft boards with a strong spring. Winn features a mid-90s fastball and a solid breaking

Baseball America has Winn ranked #10 on their current top 500 draft list. MLB Pipeline has Winn at #15 on their draft board, praising his slider, which they call a “power breaker” (although BA likes his curve more than his slider). Keith Law has Winn at #11 on his rankings, and thinks he could have three plus pitches along with a repeatable delivery, which is very promising.

MLB Pipeline’s mock draft from the end of April has Winn going to the Rangers at #15, while Keith Law’s latest mock has Winn going to the Yankees at #23. Baseball America, on the other hand, has Winn going off the board prior to the Rangers, with the Orioles taking him at #11.

Winn isn’t as big as the prep righthanded pitchers you often see go in the first part of the first round, but if you think he’s going to have a solid three pitch mix, he seems to be a safe bet. BA has Winn going to the Orioles in part because they are risk-averse in regards to injury possibilities, and they see Winn as a fairly safe bet health-wise, at least as far as high school pitchers go. Winn probably doesn’t have the big ceiling some other prep pitchers do, but he gets praise for his polish and clean mechanics. One has to think there’s a strong chance he is off the board when Texas drafts, but if he’s there, he’s someone you would think the Rangers would have significant interest in.

Seems like a low ceiling/high floor guy. Not sure I love that.

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let's hope Cole can keep it in the yard first inning against Springer. If so he seems to settle in And how about some runs to start off.

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let's hope Cole can keep it in the yard first inning against Springer. If so he seems to settle in And how about some runs to start off.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seems like a low ceiling/high floor guy. Not sure I love that.
From what I read there is one guy everyone thinks is going first and then a lot of other players are well below him and there is no concensus about how to rank them. Sounds like a poor draft.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Reddick earned his pay. Nice catch