• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Barnett commits to Alabama

NDKane21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It certainly seems to contradict the post where 4down20 was talking about the quality of classes at Bama. Of course, maybe bamabear82 didn't go to Alabama.

Anyone who thinks/says...

A) ND isn't a QB away from being a perennial contender is either not paying attention or speaking from their ass.

and...

B) BK isn't one of the top 5 coaches in the country is simply ignorant...hate to call a person a dumbass on a message board.

'Bama picked up a great player...IMO the best QB prospect of the class. Shit happens, Irish will be fine.

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let's not compare the academics of Alabama to Notre Dame

Department of economics

UCLA, Univ of Minn, Boston Univ,Arizon State Univ,Princeton Univ, Duke. Maryland.

Univ of Pitt, Univ 0f Florida,Univ of texas.

These all are professors at ND or Alabama schools of economics and i didn't pick and choose I went down the list ( I could have done more but you get the point). They all earned their PHDs somewhere else so I doub't once youre in and you're actually trying to get an education you're going to know more from one than the other. The truth is you need higher GPA and scores to get into ND than Alabama but the reason the ND degree is worth more is not because you learned that much more if at all than the Alabama student. It's because you have a stronger network at ND. A large alumni that historically take care of their own. Just like a Yale grad can count on getting work in some big firm because the head guy is a Yale grad. But you don't actually know more being a PHD from ND than being a PHD from Alabama.

Last edited by a moderator:

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Department of economics

UCLA, Univ of Minn, Boston Univ,Arizon State Univ,Princeton Univ, Duke. Maryland.

These all are professors at ND or Alabama schools of economics and i didn't pick and choose I went down the list ( I could have done more but you get the point). They all earned their PHDs somewhere else so I doub't once youre in and you're actually trying to get an education you're going to know more from one than the other. The truth is you need higher GPA and scores to get into ND than Alabama but the reason the ND degree is worth more is not because you learned that much more if at all than the Alabama student. It's because you have a stronger network at ND. A large alumni that historically take care of their own. Just like a Yale grad can count on getting work in some big firm because the head guy is a Yale grad. But you don't actually know more being a PHD from ND than being a PHD from Alabama.

And obviously I'm talking in general. Some schools are known for a good Law school some engineering or medical school. When i was in the Marines the pilots were from schools all over the country and if one or another was was brighter it wasn't because of the college they went to .

NDKane21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Like Bama in the comparison of academics.

Bama's winning percentage in their last two games is .000%. Not trying to dig on the Tide because I highly respect them but still 0 - 2 over their last two.

ChicagoIrish

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Department of economics

This is assuming Alabama players go to class on a regular basis

jjc2009

I Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I said actual shot, ND had no chance. :noidea:

Against Alabama, I'd agree. However we very easily could have been playing against K-state or georgia that year too. Our chances would have been better against either of them.

Irish7478

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Department of economics

I believe the quality of the school is more a function of the students, not the professors. You could hire the smartest professors in the world, and give them a group of student who scored 900 on their SATs, and they won't be a high achieving group. You take a group of the best students in the country, give them a crappy teacher, or no teacher at all, and they will be a high performing group. In any event, they will learn more from each other than they will from the professor. It is on this level that I think Bama will not measure up to ND.

NDIrishGuy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I believe the quality of the school is more a function of the students, not the professors. You could hire the smartest professors in the world, and give them a group of student who scored 900 on their SATs, and they won't be a high achieving group. You take a group of the best students in the country, give them a crappy teacher, or no teacher at all, and they will be a high performing group. In any event, they will learn more from each other than they will from the professor. It is on this level that I think Bama will not measure up to ND.

^ This. I learned more in the computer lab from fellow students (and in the dorms) than I ever did from a professor. Not saying professors were worthless.

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually, Alabama football(as well as many other programs) have people who go around and make sure they are in their classes. It's pretty common these days.

As for class difficulty, that pretty much varies. But I'm sure you'll assume and stereotype it for any player when it suits your needs.

Of course not all players at SEC schools are the same I'm sure some do put their education to good use and don't take courses just to keep them eligible for football, that sort of thing isn't an option at Notre Dame.

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is assuming Alabama players go to class on a regular basis

Well if you have to force or push a guy to go to class then when he's away and gone from college he's probably not going to accomplish much. I went to a college prep Catholic High school. Academics were stressed ,parents where involved and you still saw students who were just not that into it even though they graduated. I had friends who couldn't afford private school and were high achievers at public school and were really bright kids. I agree the culture is probably better for academics at ND bit if someone wants to be a doctor or engineer and went to Alabama and studied they aren't going to be less of a Doctor or engineer. What ND is known for is the tightness of the alumni so the average ND grad has more options than the Bama grad except maybe in the south.

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anyone who thinks/says...

A) ND isn't a QB away from being a perennial contender is either not paying attention or speaking from their ass.

and...

B) BK isn't one of the top 5 coaches in the country is simply ignorant...hate to call a person a dumbass on a message board.

'Bama picked up a great player...IMO the best QB prospect of the class. Shit happens, Irish will be fine.

This is a big year for BK in my opinion. He's further away from that NCG season and another 8-5 9-4 season will tell people that it ( NCG) was an aberration and 8-9 win will be norm. I'm interested to see if the offensive philosophy changes. To me BK abandons the run rather quickly and makes his offense too predictable. But he's got everything he needs on offense so we shall see.

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well if you have to force or push a guy to go to class then when he's away and gone from college he's probably not going to accomplish much. I went to a college prep Catholic High school. Academics were stressed ,parents where involved and you still saw students who were just not that into it even though they graduated. I had friends who couldn't afford private school and were high achievers at public school and were really bright kids. I agree the culture is probably better for academics at ND bit if someone wants to be a doctor or engineer and went to Alabama and studied they aren't going to be less of a Doctor or engineer. What ND is known for is the tightness of the alumni so the average ND grad has more options than the Bama grad except maybe in the south.

I agree that someone that goes to Alabama and studied isn't any less a doctor or engineer, my point is that athletes at SEC and other conferences can take an easier way out to just keep them eligible to play football, that isn't an option at Notre Dame.

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree that someone that goes to Alabama and studied isn't any less a doctor or engineer, my point is that athletes at SEC and other conferences can take an easier way out to just keep them eligible to play football, that isn't an option at Notre Dame.

I don't think you're far off but in general they take a different type of student . I'd say the average ND football player comes from a middle class to upper middle class household. The average SEC player probably (just what I think is most likley) comes from a lower economic background. I've seen ND accept and offer players who are no where near the typical ND student when it comes to athletics. No matter what some ND fans believe there are plenty of football players at ND who would never sniff admission to ND as a regular student. I'd even go as far as saying the overall majority of them . So you have higher gpa football players but if they were regular kids trying to get in to ND they wouldn't. So disparage other schools whos players aren't up to par to the regular student body at their school isn't cool. Now do i think they should take and attend classes? Yes of course. They should . Should they take sham courses? Nope they shouldn't. But just because a class or course or major isn't offered at ND you shouldn't disparage the player maybe thats his best. Not everyone is Rhodes scholar and I don;t think there's anything wrong with giving a player with a not so good background or lower GPAs a chance. You did with Tony Rice , the rocket, Manti and others.

Last edited by a moderator:

NDKane21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is a big year for BK in my opinion. He's further away from that NCG season and another 8-5 9-4 season will tell people that it ( NCG) was an aberration and 8-9 win will be norm. I'm interested to see if the offensive philosophy changes. To me BK abandons the run rather quickly and makes his offense too predictable. But he's got everything he needs on offense so we shall see.

I agree with everything you say. Nice post.

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think you're far off but in general they take a different type of student . I'd say the average ND football player comes from a middle class to upper middle class household. The average SEC player probably (just what I think is most likley) comes from a lower economic background. I've seen ND accept and offer players who are no where near the typical ND student when it comes to athletics. No matter what some ND fans believe there are plenty of football players at ND who would never sniff admission to ND as a regular student. I'd even go as far as saying the overall majority of them . So you have higher gpa football players but if they were regular kids trying to get in to ND they wouldn't. So disparage other schools whos players aren't up to par to the regular student body at their school isn't cool. Now do i think they should take and attend classes? Yes of course. They should . Should they take sham courses? Nope they shouldn't. But just because a class or course or major isn't offered at ND you shouldn't disparage the player maybe thats his best. Not everyone is Rhodes scholar and I don;t think there's anything wrong with giving a player with a not so good background or lower GPAs a chance. You did with Tony Rice , the rocket, Manti and others.

I agree that they allow students in that they probably wouldn't the general populous but they still make be a student like the rest of the student body.

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree that they allow students in that they probably wouldn't the general populous but they still make be a student like the rest of the student body.

You're right, in general Notre Dame will push and help the football player to do his best academically and at most SEC football schools (maybe not Vanderbilt) the need to win breeds an atmosphere of just keeping a kid eligible. But I just hate when every player is branded with this broad brush. Not every kid who picks Bama is a thug or doesn't care about academics and not every player who picks ND is a scholar. I don;t know what this kid Barnett wants to study but if he's a good student he can get a good education there if he wants. He might not be pushed or watched like at ND I agree on that but like in real life there comes a time where you want it or you don't and you will fail or succeed because of the drive you have. And it helps to have the ND alumni to get you in the door. lol