• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Barnett commits to Alabama

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess the academics played a big part in it :scratch:.

NDHoosier101

Reigning "Last to post" Champion
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,338.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Surprising considering he was looking at two offensive schemes where the QB is the focal point (ND & Oregon) but commits to an offense built around its running backs.

T'N'T

L-I-V-I-N
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Barnett has been working with a quarterback coach who specializes in the Pro-Style scheme for some months now. I anticipate Nick and Lane using Barnett's dual-threat skill to expand add a little more flexibility.

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree the academics had nothing to do with it but that was from the horses mouth, and is laughable.

Here's the thing. He's a football player. He's not Joe Normal college student picking a school for an MBA or medical school. If by chance he breaks his leg his junior year and never plays again and gets his degree from Alabama it will do him just as good as a degree from Notre dame. You think a football player from Alabama wouldn't have the same amount of connections to land a good job after he's done playing? Geographically he would probably have to stay in the south because I'm guessing thats where Bama grads tend to live but I'm sure there's some out cali way if he wants to live out here when he's done with football. Notre dame grads are more spread out and while you could probably find some out here the majority are probably in the mid west and east so if he went to ND he'd probably end up out that way when his playing days are over. If by chance he does well and makes the NFL his degree can be from Tulsa or Eastern Michigan and he will be fine. He chose the best place (in his and his parents opinion) to showcase his talents and grow as a QB.

bamabear82

I ♥ t-baggin
Hoopla Cash
$ 709.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Barnett has been working with a quarterback coach who specializes in the Pro-Style scheme for some months now. I anticipate Nick and Lane using Barnett's dual-threat skill to expand add a little more flexibility.

That's pretty much it. Saban has been recruiting more and more dual threat type guys to add another dimension to the offense. A dual threat QB doesn't have to run a spread/no huddle hurry up to successful like some people seem to think. If he can distribute the ball to other playmakers but has the ability to scramble or take off it can make for a pretty potent offense. Who knows though, this kid may not even turn out good enough to see the field. :noidea:

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey good pick for him. Bama is a top team. It wouldn't shock me if he switched schools again. He seems like one of those kids that cant make up their mind.

Irish7478

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've never had an issue with someone changing their mind, especially if it's 8 months before NSD. It is only an issue if it comes a week before or maybe a few days after NSD. Even then, if the kid doesn't want to be at ND, why would we want to force him to be here.

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's the thing. He's a football player. He's not Joe Normal college student picking a school for an MBA or medical school. If by chance he breaks his leg his junior year and never plays again and gets his degree from Alabama it will do him just as good as a degree from Notre dame. You think a football player from Alabama wouldn't have the same amount of connections to land a good job after he's done playing? Geographically he would probably have to stay in the south because I'm guessing thats where Bama grads tend to live but I'm sure there's some out cali way if he wants to live out here when he's done with football. Notre dame grads are more spread out and while you could probably find some out here the majority are probably in the mid west and east so if he went to ND he'd probably end up out that way when his playing days are over. If by chance he does well and makes the NFL his degree can be from Tulsa or Eastern Michigan and he will be fine. He chose the best place (in his and his parents opinion) to showcase his talents and grow as a QB.

If you actually believe Alabama really makes their football players be student athletes and got to classes that actually challenge them then you are kidding your self.

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you actually believe Alabama really makes their football players be student athletes and got to classes that actually challenge them then you are kidding your self.

You obviously didn't read what I wrote. If the player doesn't want to study he's better off at Alabama no doubt. But if the player wants to get a degree in sociology does it really matter if it's at Alabama or Notre dame if he actually does go to class? So if he's also a QB who thinks he's gonna get better at Alabama with Nick than with Kelly then whats wrong with him going to Bama? What about a player who picks Notre Dame over USC and gets a degree in Design? Would it make a difference? Is the design degree at USC with everything in so cal not worth as much? If you actually go to class and earn a degree the player from ND will have the ND alumni network to help him out and the Bama player will have their Alumni to help him out. This kid got accepted to ND so I'm guessing he's not a rock and will not just sit in class and do nothing. He's a highly skilled QB who could possibly make millions if he makes it to the NFL. Would you bet on Saban getting you there or Kelly .

Last edited by a moderator:

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You obviously didn't read what I wrote. If the player doesn't want to study he's better off at Alabama no doubt. But if the player wants to get a degree in sociology does it really matter if it's at Alabama or Notre dame if he actually does go to class? So if he's also a QB who thinks he's gonna get better at Alabama with Nick than with Kelly then whats wrong with him going to Bama? What about a player who picks Notre Dame over USC and gets a degree in Design? Would it make a difference? Is the design degree at USC with everything in so cal not worth as much? If you actually go to class and earn a degree the player from ND will have the ND alumni network to help him out and the Bama player will have their Alumni to help him out. This kid got accepted to ND so I'm guessing he's not a rock and will not just sit in class and do nothing. He's a highly skilled QB who could possibly make millions if he makes it to the NFL. Would you bet on Saban getting you there or Kelly .

I got what you were saying but to say the academics are better at Alabama shows that it really wasn't a priority which is fine, if the guy is looking to breeze through it Alabama is the place for him.

jjc2009

I Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I got what you were saying but to say the academics are better at Alabama shows that it really wasn't a priority which is fine, if the guy is looking to breeze through it Alabama is the place for him.

While I think you both have fair points on this, I'd just like to throw in my $.02. When the topic of football factories vs. schools that actually try to retain a commitment to the notion of "student-athletes" the Bama fans invariably chime in with the graduation rate of their players being better than what you'd expect (and it is when I heard the number). Of course the dirty little secret in all of that is what are the majors they are taking? What are the course requirements. "General Studies" isn't an option for a major at ND. Its a much easier path to get a 4 year degree at Alabama with the right course guidance to keep you eligible, than at ND. Louis Nix famously told one of his friends who was a player at an SEC school, "they take the academic s**t seriously here."

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Actually, Alabama football(as well as many other programs) have people who go around and make sure they are in their classes. It's pretty common these days.

As for class difficulty, that pretty much varies. But I'm sure you'll assume and stereotype it for any player when it suits your needs.

ChicagoIrish

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually, Alabama football(as well as many other programs) have people who go around and make sure they are in their classes. It's pretty common these days.

As for class difficulty, that pretty much varies. But I'm sure you'll assume and stereotype it for any player when it suits your needs.

Let's not compare the academics of Alabama to Notre Dame

bamabear82

I ♥ t-baggin
Hoopla Cash
$ 709.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For some kids, the chance to prepare and play under one of the best coaches in the game and have an actual shot at winning NC is pretty appealing. Neither of those were going to happen at ND.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let's not compare the academics of Alabama to Notre Dame

I'm not trying to compare them. But this idea that they are all just taking easy classes and whatever is bullshit.

ChicagoIrish

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For some kids, the chance to prepare and play under one of the best coaches in the game and have an actual shot at winning NC is pretty appealing. Neither of those were going to happen at ND.

Hmmm, could have swore we just had a shot at a National Championship not too long ago.

NDKane21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This is just plain ignorant.

Irish7478

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is just plain ignorant.

It certainly seems to contradict the post where 4down20 was talking about the quality of classes at Bama. Of course, maybe bamabear82 didn't go to Alabama.