• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Baalke

elw4corps

Go Green, Go White
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Me and one of my friends were discussing Trent Baalke and his tenure as GM. My personal belief is Baalke is an average GM that excels in free agent signing but is terrible when it comes to drafting talent. I am just wondering what everyone's opinion on Trent Baalke is and how much longer his tenure with the niners will last if they go back to 04-10 running of suckitude?

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Me and one of my friends were discussing Trent Baalke and his tenure as GM. My personal belief is Baalke is an average GM that excels in free agent signing but is terrible when it comes to drafting talent. I am just wondering what everyone's opinion on Trent Baalke is and how much longer his tenure with the niners will last if they go back to 04-10 running of suckitude?

Baalke had a really good 2011 draft. 2012 was a disaster. We can't fully judge 2013 and 2014 yet. We have a couple of good players out of the drafts but for the most part the players from 2013 and 2014 have had little or no playing up to this year. Harbaugh preferred to stick with vets. This year a lot of those players are going to see significant playing time and by the end of the year we will have a better idea of how the past two drafts panned out. I didn't care for how the 2014 panned out and question the strategy but ultimately reserve judgement until the season is over. It appears York is committed to Baalke. I think it would take the team to really tank for this year and next. At that point I think public pressure would force York to make a change at GM

Xponentialchaos

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not sure we can continue to say that the 2011 draft was as good as we originally felt.

1st round: Aldon Smith (looked good at first, but had numerous off-field problems and is no longer on the team. Note that JJ Watt went 4 picks later)

2nd round: Colin Kaepernick (looked good at first, but has not turned into what we expected to see)

3rd round: Chris Culliver (not a bad player, had off-field problems and is no longer on the team. Note that Richard Sherman went 2 rounds later)

4th round: Kendall Hunter (was decent as a backup for Gore, but never turned into anything more. No longer on the team)

5th round: Daniel Kilgore (good value in the 5th round)

6th round: Ronald Johnson (crap)

6th round: Colin Jones (crap)

7th round: Bruce Miller (good value in the 7th round)

7th round: Mike Person (crap)

7th round: Curtis Holcomb (crap)

I'm not impressed.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's looking like a very average GM right now. His best pick, Aldon Smith, is gone. There is also a lot of fan anger that he seems to love drafting guys who are in wheelchairs. I'm surprised he didn't pick Todd Gurley.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am not going to fault Baalke for Aldon. Aldon was an elite pass rusher. No one had him that good out of college. Hunter looked good also until he was injured. You can't control injuries which are random and you can't predict that every player is going to get into trouble. 2013 and 2014 we don't know. I agree with you about draft strategy. I was puzzled by the 2014 picks. I'll ultimately reserve judgement until these players had played more.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am not going to fault Baalke for Aldon. Aldon was an elite pass rusher. No one had him that good out of college. Hunter looked good also until he was injured. You can't control injuries which are random and you can't predict that every player is going to get into trouble. 2013 and 2014 we don't know. I agree with you about draft strategy. I was puzzled by the 2014 picks. I'll ultimately reserve judgement until these players had played more.

I think it was known that Aldon was a risky character. I guess Baalke had to take a chance on his talent.

Yes, you can't control injuries, but I'm not sure I like the strategy of drafting injured players and stashing them away with the hope that they'll be big time players later. It didn't work with Lattimore. Let's hope it works with Tank Carradine.

The biggest knock on Baalke is probably all the draft misses at the WR position.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it was known that Aldon was a risky character. I guess Baalke had to take a chance on his talent.

Yes, you can't control injuries, but I'm not sure I like the strategy of drafting injured players and stashing them away with the hope that they'll be big time players later. It didn't work with Lattimore. Let's hope it works with Tank Carradine.

The biggest knock on Baalke is probably all the draft misses at the WR position.

Did you know there were character issues coming out of college with Navarro Bowman? There were several incidents that happened in college. Should we not have drafted Bowman? I can't fault him for that.

Lattimore was a bust. Stashing some of the players at the time was not a bad idea as there wasn't enough room on the roster for all those picks. Carradine, Reaser, and Thomas are on the active roster. If they flame out stashing them wasn't the issue, it is that Baalke misjudged their NFL talent. He might have done that again with Smelter. Time will tell.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did you know there were character issues coming out of college with Navarro Bowman? There were several incidents that happened in college. Should we not have drafted Bowman? I can't fault him for that.

Lattimore was a bust. Stashing some of the players at the time was not a bad idea as there wasn't enough room on the roster for all those picks. Carradine, Reaser, and Thomas are on the active roster. If they flame out stashing them wasn't the issue, it is that Baalke misjudged their NFL talent. He might have done that again with Smelter. Time will tell.

I don't blame him for taking the chance on Aldon, but the credit that we gave him for moving up to pick Aldon is tempered now by the fact that Aldon wound up not playing very long for us.

Stashing might pay off. We'll see. It's more of a preference thing for me. I just don't like drafting injured players.

elw4corps

Go Green, Go White
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well that has also been one of my problems with baalke is the drafting of injured players to sit out a year especially when we have very obvious needs this season. Aldon and Reid are his two best picks because i doubt Kaep is here next season.

darken65

Warped Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,199.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The day that the 9ers can pick a decent WR in the draft is the time I would say Baalke knows something about drafting to help a team win. Won't happen so it is what it is. He's York's boy and he won't be going anywhere soon.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I put all blame on York. He killed this team. Baalke overall isn't bad. He does some good things. He usually drafts well and he is good at finding the bargain players. I just don't like that he doesn't go for it all sometimes. We were like 1 player away from winning superbowls(2 years) and he didn't get that player we needed. Most of us thought we needed a shut down CB(Revis) and he didn't do it. Look what the Pats did they got him and they won.

Next year this team will have around 40 mill to spend. He better add a lot to this team.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The day that the 9ers can pick a decent WR in the draft is the time I would say Baalke knows something about drafting to help a team win. Won't happen so it is what it is. He's York's boy and he won't be going anywhere soon.
Yes this is another thing. We to draft a top WR and Baalke has missed. He passed on a lot of good ones. Drafting WRs is one of his weak ness.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
He's looking like a very average GM right now. His best pick, Aldon Smith, is gone. There is also a lot of fan anger that he seems to love drafting guys who are in wheelchairs. I'm surprised he didn't pick Todd Gurley.

haaa, yep i no longer like his drafting of IR players. At first i didn't like it at all, but did adjust it for first four rounds only. I hope he stops using 'higher' picks on IR players, so far none of them panned out. Worse, it isn't even close.

Looney hardly played, Lattimore didn't play, Carradine doesn't get ANY pressure, and can't even get a push up field, Brandon Thomas is looking like another two year IR? He has some success with later rounds, so that late might be worth the gamble.