• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

B12 midterm grades

BoomerNTX

~Boomer FN Sooner~
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Midway into the B12 season, a few surprises. 1) TCU leading the pack; 2) ISU looking pretty damn good and in the top half; 3) BU at the bottom of the barrel. Most of the rest of the conf is doing about what I expected. OU and Okie lt at(or near)the top. UT, WV, TT in the middle. KSU a bit lower than I thought they'd be, and KU only bolstered by the Bears ugliness.

OU has survived a couple games. With TCU and Okie lt still on the schedule, may be difficult to run the table. I see TCU with the best shot of surviving the remainder of the B12 season unscathed. I think both OU and Okie lt lose at least 1 more each. ISU loses at least 1 and possibly 2 more.

We may have a situation where TCU has the best conf record, then loses the Championship as I don't know that they will beat OU or Okie lt twice.

As usual, ~I know Nothing!~

tnapucco

Fair as fuck
Hoopla Cash
$ 17,999.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yup.

It seems the competition level in the BXII has escalated a bit this year. Half of the conference will likely be in the top 25 tomorrow.

I wouldn't put money on any of the remaining games on any team at this point. The offensive talent levels, coaching and players, are through the roof at times....our ineptitude on defense at times is mind boggling.

At times I think Stanley Kubrick didn't die, he's actually directing all of our games....it's all fake.

...and next week is going to be another titty-wringer for all involved.

BoomerNTX

~Boomer FN Sooner~
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yesterday was interesting, to say the least.

ISU dominating TT (ISU no longer a gimmie)
Okie lt struggling to beat UT in OT (13-10)
WV squeaking by BU (38-36)
OU having to take it to the final seconds to beat KSU.

Not any real upsets in the top 25 for week 8. #11 USC lost to #13 ND, so they will drop a bit with 2 losses now.

You think ISU will make the top 25? They are 5-2 now with a win vs #3(at the time) OU on their resume.

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We took our foot off the gas and it just about cost us. 38-13 late in the game and the weakness of our special teams and defense raised its ugly head once again. I don't like to blame officials but they DID play a part in our game in the 4th quarter. Yea, you cant let the refs be part of the game but even the most level headed WVU fan was railing about the holding not being called when it was obvious.

I saw similar terrible officiating in the Texas/OSU game (the whistle call where the refs did...nothing OMG:pound:)

and the OU/KSU game I saw a few plays, one that sticks out is where the refs fell asleep and the OU player stretched a KSU guys jersey so far that his shoulder pad popped out on play side was just...:L

I didn't really care who won the other games I was objective and was just interested to see how they finished and imo The Big12 needs to address these officials and do something, I used to say that the PAC had the worst officials in CFB from what I watched but, I cant keep a strait face and say that any longer.

Hornsstampede2.0

Guy Who Never Responds
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't like to blame officials

Yesterday was comically bad.

Okie Junior got their very first penalty with 36 seconds left in the game.
And it was a tiny 5 yard mercy flag that got a standing ovation from the Austin faithful.

Texas kept getting killed by judgement penalties over and over, some of which were ticky-tack.
And some were probably earned. Texas was not flawless. Penalties happen. That is expected.

But, to see the other team never get flagged at all was bizarre.
That was hard to swallow.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

And it was a tiny 5 yard mercy flag that got a standing ovation from the Austin faithful.

Texas kept getting killed by judgement penalties over and over, some of which were ticky-tack.
And some were probably earned. Texas was not flawless. Penalties happen. That is expected.

Isn't it, though? Sucks being on the other side of it, huh?

Cowboyinexile

I have spoken
Hoopla Cash
$ 52,518.49
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

So are y'all going to be bitching about this one 2 years from now?

I missed most of the game so I can't truly comment on the officiating but it went to OT and from what I saw both teams had chances to end it. You take away a 90 yard play (where the refs missed your guy stepping out when he turned the corner btw) and you have less than 200 yards on offense against a defense that is usually pretty marginal. That hurt you more than the zebras.

BoomerNTX

~Boomer FN Sooner~
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, I think we can conclude that B12 refs suck ass and have either cost games, or made games much closer than they should've been?

HuskerinBig10

Dad, World Traveler, Investor, college football
Hoopla Cash
$ 436.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Texas fans complaining about officiating is rather comical.

Football Officiating All-Access

Big 12 Refs (@Big12Refs) | Twitter

Big 12 Hires Suspended Officiating Crew, Will Work Remaining Iowa State Games

Big 12 exonerates officiating crew | HookemPlus.com

Why it's hilarious Texas fans are mad about refs

Texas fans should know better.
After all, Texas fans should know better than anybody that sometimes, referees make bad calls that swing the tide of victory from one team to another. It happens to the Longhorns all the time, except they're the team that normally ends up winning.

Last edited:

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Baylor might be in the cellar, but at least the effort is there. I think we all expected a yuge drop from the Briles era, what with all the decommits and the changing of schemes. They're horribly out-manned.

If they can't beat Kansas, it's probably 0-12 but no one will be shocked

Tharvot

Crusader for Truthiness
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Midway into the B12 season, a few surprises. 1) TCU leading the pack; 2) ISU looking pretty damn good and in the top half; 3) BU at the bottom of the barrel. Most of the rest of the conf is doing about what I expected. OU and Okie lt at(or near)the top. UT, WV, TT in the middle. KSU a bit lower than I thought they'd be, and KU only bolstered by the Bears ugliness.

OU has survived a couple games. With TCU and Okie lt still on the schedule, may be difficult to run the table. I see TCU with the best shot of surviving the remainder of the B12 season unscathed. I think both OU and Okie lt lose at least 1 more each. ISU loses at least 1 and possibly 2 more.

We may have a situation where TCU has the best conf record, then loses the Championship as I don't know that they will beat OU or Okie lt twice.

As usual, ~I know Nothing!~

Baylor's disaster of a campaign should surprise no one considering all the turmoil they had in the offseason. Losses to Liberty and UTSA were definitely surprising, but after that, no loss from them would surprise me at all. Even Kansas.

TCU is the only team I'd give an "A" to at this point in the B12 season. OU has really struggled after their big win against Ohio State, and Okie State simply isn't that great against any team with a decent defense to slow them down.

I could see a situation like you described with TCU going unbeaten then losing in the championship game...and should that happen, it could well eliminate the B12 from the playoff. It would be incredibly ironic since securing a spot in the playoff is the only reason why they voted to have a CCG.

Lance Armstrong

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Iowa State is the big surprise, that's a really solid football team. IF they hadn't blown their lead vs Iowa, they might be ranked in the top 15.

TCU is the class of the conference, but will drop a game. Big 12 title game will be very interesting.

OU has struggled in Big 12 play, but that's because the conference is so deep. It's comical that they're ranked behind ohio state.

Texas will get over the hump, just gotta figure out how to close out games.

Okie light is solid, but should lose to OU.

tnapucco

Fair as fuck
Hoopla Cash
$ 17,999.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Iowa State is the big surprise, that's a really solid football team. IF they hadn't blown their lead vs Iowa, they might be ranked in the top 15.

TCU is the class of the conference, but will drop a game. Big 12 title game will be very interesting.

OU has struggled in Big 12 play, but that's because the conference is so deep. It's comical that they're ranked behind ohio state.

good god i feel dirty....

TexasExes98

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So are y'all going to be bitching about this one 2 years from now?

I missed most of the game so I can't truly comment on the officiating but it went to OT and from what I saw both teams had chances to end it. You take away a 90 yard play (where the refs missed your guy stepping out when he turned the corner btw) and you have less than 200 yards on offense against a defense that is usually pretty marginal. That hurt you more than the zebras.

Nope, not from me. i don't make excuses. We lost b/c we have the worst OC in the country. Gaining a total of 45 yds in the 2nd half and 8 3 and outs (yes, I said 8) is what did us in. You will hear the injury excuse from some of my fellow Orangebloods, but not from me. Tim Beck's play calling is the sole reason we lost that game and he is the reason this team will have its 4th losing season in a row. Herman was asked about Beck's play calling and he said Tim is "fine" and is more than qualified for the job. He should have learned from Strong what happens when you stay loyal to shitty assistant coaches. Running Ehlinger's slow AF ass to the left and right on 2nd and 20 does absolutely nothing and is getting old. Tim Beck should have been fired first thing Sunday morning and Herman should be taking over the play calling.

Tharvot

Crusader for Truthiness
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That's the way the AP rankings always go. It's all about what form are you in currently.

The CFP rankings could very well have OU ahead of Ohio State at this point. They do a better job of being all inclusive in their rankings.

NolePride

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Iowa State needs to be working on a raise and contract extension for the coach.

That guy is gonna be a hot demand.

Now, he may have a weakness depending on what the personal issue was. ISU lost
their starting QB, based on some personal problem/issue. I just assumed drug or booze
addiction.

The kid they put in there...a JUCO, walk-on, is twice the QB, that the other guy was. How
come he didn't spot that at the start? OR...was the personal issue the reason the original
starter, tanked. The last game he played he was in lala land out there.

BoomerNTX

~Boomer FN Sooner~
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Baylor's disaster of a campaign should surprise no one considering all the turmoil they had in the offseason. Losses to Liberty and UTSA were definitely surprising, but after that, no loss from them would surprise me at all. Even Kansas.

TCU is the only team I'd give an "A" to at this point in the B12 season. OU has really struggled after their big win against Ohio State, and Okie State simply isn't that great against any team with a decent defense to slow them down.

I could see a situation like you described with TCU going unbeaten then losing in the championship game...and should that happen, it could well eliminate the B12 from the playoff. It would be incredibly ironic since securing a spot in the playoff is the only reason why they voted to have a CCG.

Have to agree with your whole post

tnapucco

Fair as fuck
Hoopla Cash
$ 17,999.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Iowa State needs to be working on a raise and contract extension for the coach.

That guy is gonna be a hot demand.

Now, he may have a weakness depending on what the personal issue was. ISU lost
their starting QB, based on some personal problem/issue. I just assumed drug or booze
addiction.

The kid they put in there...a JUCO, walk-on, is twice the QB, that the other guy was. How
come he didn't spot that at the start? OR...was the personal issue the reason the original
starter, tanked. The last game he played he was in lala land out there.
Some kids' abilities just enhance with the application of adrenaline? IDK, but I hope to see the replacement QB again real soon.