• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Austin Jackson to the M's...Franklin to the Rays

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Funny thing I read from fans on here is that they are so happy to get Jackson, but were not happy of possibly getting Price because he would be a rental. Jackson' contract expires at the same time as Price's with no guarantee to stay. :noidea:

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We definitely need him as a defensive player after watching Jones turn singles into triples. Again, these deals today are a good start, but become meaningless if we don't add to them before they leave. If we can keep them (not so much Morales), and add one legit RH, middle of the order bat before the start of next season, the we have something going offensively. We would still need a legit #3 SP so make us playoff worthy.

I agree with all of this.

I'd also agree with it if we had gotten Price instead of or in addition to Jackson.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Me too. So basically if we threw in say Elias, we could have had Price instead? I don't see much difference between Elias and Smyly. The minor leaguer wasn't much though now scouts are saying it was a good get. Nobody ever talked about him before the trade and we may never hear from him again.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm honestly stunned at the package that the Rays took for David Price. When I initially read about the deal on my phone at work, I thought they just hadn't released all the details yet. The Rays got a 2B/SS who is not good enough to even crack the Mariners lineup, Drew Smyly and a non-top 100 prospect for David Price. I would have honestly expected to get more than that from the Tigers. Honestly, the Mariners got more from the Tigers for Nick Franklin than the Rays got for David Price.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Funny thing I read from fans on here is that they are so happy to get Jackson, but were not happy of possibly getting Price because he would be a rental. Jackson' contract expires at the same time as Price's with no guarantee to stay. :noidea:

1. The Mariners need hitting a lot more than they need pitching.
2. Austin Jackson will cost a third of what David Price would cost, and Price said he wouldn't re-sign here. Even if Price did change his mind, he would still be a lot more expensive than Austin Jackson.

I'm thrilled with the move personally. Nick Franklin had no future with this team and in no universe is he worth remotely close to what Austin Jackson is worth, I have to assume the Tigers were simply happy to give up Jackson considering they gave up next to nothing for David Price. The Tigers sent more value to the Mariners than they did to the Rays IMO.

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd say on paper, the Mariners made out extremely well on their deals today.

Hope we get the results on the field.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd say on paper, the Mariners made out extremely well on their deals today.

Hope we get the results on the field.

Lineup before adding Morales:

1. RF: Endy Chavez
2. CF: James Jones
3. 2B: Robinson Cano
4. 3B: Kyle Seager
5. DH: Corey Hart
6. 1B: Logan Morrison
7. LF: Dustin Ackley
8. C: Mike Zunino
9. SS: Brad Miller

After Saunders comes back:

1. CF: Austin Jackson
2. LF: Dustin Ackley
5. DH: Kendrys Morales
6. RF: Michael Saunders
7. 1B: Logan Morrison

The Mariners upgraded at RF, CF and DH without giving up much of anything.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm honestly stunned at the package that the Rays took for David Price. When I initially read about the deal on my phone at work, I thought they just hadn't released all the details yet. The Rays got a 2B/SS who is not good enough to even crack the Mariners lineup, Drew Smyly and a non-top 100 prospect for David Price. I would have honestly expected to get more than that from the Tigers. Honestly, the Mariners got more from the Tigers for Nick Franklin than the Rays got for David Price.

Big picture. I doubt Rays were going to sign a new contract with Price, so the absolute longest they would have him would be another 162 games...July 31 of next year. If they actually waited that long, his trade value would be next to nothing, though. Every day they keep this guy they're not planning on signing beyond next year, his trade value decreases.

As much as we slam Franklin, he had a 95 OPS+ in his first 162 games, and has been given no chances since then, really. He would've been a no-brainer to bring up a lot this year if we didn't have Cano already. I'm betting he becomes an average or above average everyday 2B for the Rays within a year.

The Rays also got the guy the Tigers think is their #1 prospect (rated #3), and he's still only 18, and highly, highly, highly touted. Smyly is better than people give him credit for.

All under team control for a very long time.

I think it's a very good deal, but I can see the other side of the argument.

Last edited by a moderator:

Itsmytime

I love Beer.
Hoopla Cash
$ 6.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lineup before adding Morales:

1. RF: Endy Chavez
2. CF: James Jones
5. DH: Corey Hart
6. 1B: Logan Morrison
7. LF: Dustin Ackley

After Saunders comes back:

1. CF: Austin Jackson
2. LF: Dustin Ackley
5. DH: Kendrys Morales
6. RF: Michael Saunders
7. 1B: Logan Morrison

The Mariners upgraded at RF, CF and DH without giving up much of anything.

Doesn't look disgusting... :noidea:

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1. The Mariners need hitting a lot more than they need pitching.
2. Austin Jackson will cost a third of what David Price would cost, and Price said he wouldn't re-sign here. Even if Price did change his mind, he would still be a lot more expensive than Austin Jackson.

I'm thrilled with the move personally. Nick Franklin had no future with this team and in no universe is he worth remotely close to what Austin Jackson is worth, I have to assume the Tigers were simply happy to give up Jackson considering they gave up next to nothing for David Price. The Tigers sent more value to the Mariners than they did to the Rays IMO.

So the M's ownership has convinced you that trades should be evaluated by the price tag of the players in question? In what universe is Austin Jackson a better get than David Price?

I hate this bs about needing hitting over pitching when talking about a 'c' hitter vs an 'a' pitcher. If that is the case, then we need to trade Felix for Stubbs, Cuddyer, and Morneau. I am not sure what the difference is between that and what people keep balking at regarding value pitchers trade vs replacement level hitting.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Rays also got the guy the Tigers think is their #1 prospect, and he's still only 18, and highly, highly, highly touted. Smyly is better than people give him credit for.

As of January 2014, he wasn't even listed in BA's Top 10 or mentioned in their list for anything.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As of January 2014, he wasn't even listed in BA's Top 10 or mentioned in their list for anything.

Okay, he's terrible.

Later. Good night.

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At least you can be proud your team made some moves at the deadline. Best of luck to you in your WC race

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At least you can be proud your team made some moves at the deadline. Best of luck to you in your WC race

Yeah, thanks. Tough, tough year for you all.

ida one

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Something had to be done so the M's can get better. They do have a shot at a wild card spt this year. Lets hope this trade is the one to get us there

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Okay, he's terrible.

Later. Good night.

He is 18. He is nothing put somebodies wet dream at this point. Remember how beloved around baseball Triunfel was at 17?

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, thanks. Tough, tough year for you all.

Hope we get back on track next year but it seems the AL West is becoming the best division in baseball. Gonna take a lot for us to contend the next few years

Last edited by a moderator:

dude82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Forget whether Price would have re-signed here after next season or not. It's not really relevant at this point. The bottom line is that the Mariners are ridiculously good when they score 4+ runs in a game this. When they don't, well... you've seen what happens. If you trade for Price and it's the only significant trade you make, you may have upgraded your pitching staff from a talent standpoint, but it's not going to help if the offense is still scoring less than 3 runs a game, as this offense has been doing for a while now. Jackson and Denorfia aren't Trout and Cabrera, over even close to that level as hitters, but compared to what we've been throwing out there at their respective positions on offense this year, they are upgrades (particularly against left-handed pitching). Jackson alone could be a huge upgrade in the leadoff spot.

So as great as it would have been to have Price, even if only for, realistically, about a year, getting him would not have solved the Mariners problems on offense. The Mariners have tried in the past to go all in where they were already strong while not doing enough to upgrade where they were weak. In doing so, they thought that if they built up the pitching staff enough, it'd compensate for a poor offense. Reinforcing the starting staff would have done nothing to improve the offense and improving the offense was and is the only way that the M's will be able to take the next step to the playoffs.

Mariners_44

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Forget whether Price would have re-signed here after next season or not. It's not really relevant at this point. The bottom line is that the Mariners are ridiculously good when they score 4+ runs in a game this. When they don't, well... you've seen what happens. If you trade for Price and it's the only significant trade you make, you may have upgraded your pitching staff from a talent standpoint, but it's not going to help if the offense is still scoring less than 3 runs a game, as this offense has been doing for a while now. Jackson and Denorfia aren't Trout and Cabrera, over even close to that level as hitters, but compared to what we've been throwing out there at their respective positions on offense this year, they are upgrades (particularly against left-handed pitching). Jackson alone could be a huge upgrade in the leadoff spot.

So as great as it would have been to have Price, even if only for, realistically, about a year, getting him would not have solved the Mariners problems on offense. The Mariners have tried in the past to go all in where they were already strong while not doing enough to upgrade where they were weak. In doing so, they thought that if they built up the pitching staff enough, it'd compensate for a poor offense. Reinforcing the starting staff would have done nothing to improve the offense and improving the offense was and is the only way that the M's will be able to take the next step to the playoffs.
:agree:

We ended the first half of the season owning the second wildcard spot while putting out brutal lineups across the board. We may have started a little slow out of the break, but when you consider who we have added along with the eruption of Ackley it's hard not to imagine fighting until the bitter end. I like our chances in a one game playoff against LAA with the lineup that we can put out there now, and when Saunders returns it'll get even better. We may be a couple of games back right now, but we made the most progress of any team hovering for that last WC spot. I like our chances right now, and really like what Z made happen. Kudos to him!