• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Austin gets 4 year 42 million dollar deal

SJ76

I'll slap you with my member
Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know V-Mike, you keep bringing up the term "playmaker" here, I just don't see it. Not trying to be a Negative Nancy, but just take a second and look at TA's production the last 3 years. Its actually below average. He completely disappears at times! His production has always been low, and he doesn't require double teaming! He's easily jammed at the LOS. Sure he had opportunity's called back, but he has also had missed opportunities as well. You cannot tell me that he hasn't dropped passes in 3rd and long situations. He's a great punt returner no doubt. If I remember correctly he has scored a few times on punt/kick off returns and had them called back due to holding or some penalty. I agree that we should have waited until the end of the season to consider a new contract.

Tavon is a playmaker.. He's just not a #1 WR. He's a #2 or slot guy that feeds off a solid #1 taking attention away from him. Tavon has great speed and really good moves, we just need a good QB and a #1 WR.

How long have we needed a #1 WR? :L

:L

SJ76

Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1275389857_naked-gun-facepalm.gif

SJ76

Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess the reason why I don't have a big problem with it is because it is not an out of the ball park type of deal and we need to do all we can to keep talent on the offensive side of the ball.

They need to keep whatever offensive playmakers they have here in LA!

That he too brings great value to special teams is a big factor for me reconciling his new contract.

Really when you think about it, the Rams have a young offensive line with talent and upside, they have a decent group of running backs led by No. 30, a decent blocking TE in Kendricks and the rookie Higbee looks pretty good too. They have the new offensive coordinator in Boras coupled with WR coach and Passing Coordinator Mike Groh who did a pretty good job coaching up Alshon Jeffery in Chicago. They traded up for Goff, whether you agree or not they had a plan to improve that roster spot but even then, this is the best trio of QB's I can ever remember the Rams having.

So with this we see the WR corp is the weak link. They had to consider if the Coaching, OL, QB's, RB's, & TE's finally all get it going this year, that it would be critical, moving forward, to keep their most talented WR and ST player on the roster.

He didn't have to coach up Alshon btw. He was a beast as a soph at SC and had a shitty junior year. Dude had loads of game.

You coach up players in pee wee league through college.. Once they turn pro the good ones only need to work hard at what they've been doing for 10 years and perfect their craft. Shouldn't even be thinking of getting "projects" at the Pro level. It's a joke. Hell i bet you Alshon learned more from Brandon Marshall than he did from any of those Bear coaches.

Last edited:

SJ76

Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He didn't learn to stay healthy unfortunately.

Not sure how you learn how to stay healthy. As far as being a #1 WR, Alshon is definitely a good one.

SJ76

Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ask yourself this.. Since we've already committed to pay Tavon #1 WR type money, is there any possibility of actually paying to get an actual #1 WR now?

No.. We will have to HOPE that one of these young guys can be a steal because we sure as hell don't have the picks to get a top tiered WR the next 2 years.

Let's do the ole Jeff Fisher kool-aid dance... :hope:

SO not only could we be stuck with no real #1 WR down the road but ALSO an over-hyped QB (bust) as well.

well done Rams well done :clap:

zeke2829

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ask yourself this.. Since we've already committed to pay Tavon #1 WR type money, is there any possibility of actually paying to get an actual #1 WR now?

No.. We will have to HOPE that one of these young guys can be a steal because we sure as hell don't have the picks to get a top tiered WR the next 2 years.

SO not only could we be stuck with no real #1 WR down the road but ALSO an over-hyped QB (bust) as well.

That's my whole point!... or gripe for that matter! We just signed this guy to a big contract for a speedy #3, 5'8' at best wr! ......WTF??? :trash:

UVA_Guy81

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's my whole point!... or gripe for that matter! We just signed this guy to a big contract for a speedy #3, 5'8' at best wr! ......WTF??? :trash:
I think even if he signed an extension that was half of the money that it ended up being, that would've been more than fair for his production value.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Nelson Bruce and McRoberts will eventually make this deal and Tavon look like a joke.

Smed55

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"maybe" overpaid, I still think he can be really good, we don't know how to use him?... I bet he would flourish in NE in the Welker/Amendola role??? Hands aren't as good, but quicker and faster!

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure how you learn how to stay healthy. As far as being a #1 WR, Alshon is definitely a good one.

Better training I guess? Hamstring flexibility/strength? Don't know if that's even something that can be prevented.

What's the cliche? The best ability is availability?

SJ76

Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And think about this.. While Goff sits and watches our game manager hand the ball off to Gurley, we could have had Josh Doctson as a weapon at WR opposite Tavon and whoever else they want to line up at WR.

This kid Doctson is going to be a player

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like Doctson as a prospect too, but again he's an injured player just coming off of the PUP list (achilles). How much of an impact is he going to make fighting for targets behind Jackson, Garcon, Reed and Crowder? Not every rookie WR is a year one stud; the NFL has been spoiled a bit lately.

Vitamike

#H9Csuck!
Hoopla Cash
$ 141,051.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not every rookie WR is a year one stud; the NFL has been spoiled a bit lately.
I totally agree, usually we see these guys make their biggest strides in their 3rd season.

This is why I believe Mike Groh deserves some credit for 'coaching up' Alshon.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I totally agree, usually we see these guys make their biggest strides in their 3rd season.

This is why I believe Mike Groh deserves some credit for 'coaching up' Alshon.

I agree, Jeffrey's a stud. After drafting him once or twice in fantasy, just wish he could stay healthy! It will be interesting to see what Kevin White brings to the table this year; he still looks a little behind so far.

SJ76

Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree, Jeffrey's a stud. After drafting him once or twice in fantasy, just wish he could stay healthy! It will be interesting to see what Kevin White brings to the table this year; he still looks a little behind so far.

He was a stud at South Carolina.

ANGELAKERAMS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
this signing is proving to be money well spent:pound:

zeke2829

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yah....On Monday night I saw Tavon drop 3 easy passes and I saw him get slaughtered/destroyed at least 4 times!