• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

ATP should have a live ranking system

Hs0022

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What I mean is that instead of assigning arbitrary points like 1000 for MS and 2000 for GS there should be merit points added to winners that beat high seeded/ranked players. Also the strength of tournaments (strength of players in the lineup of an event) should have influence overhow many points are awarded to the eventual winner.

This whole garbage of accumulated points over one or two years to give someone a high ranking or seeding should stop and instead the seeding should be decided on current form and showing in recent preceding events.

I can't believe that the grass warmups are only worth 250 points. They are not even a 500 series! Crazy!

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tennis tournaments go on 48 weeks of the 52 week year.

It makes exactly no sense to base ranking OR tournament seedings off of any less than a 52-week sampling of the field. It would be punitive to lower ranked players (the majority of the ATP) more than anybody else.

The ATP used to do something similar to what HS is advocating, and it was a giant, unfair mess.

Fortunately, the ATP is never going to push for what HS advocates, so no worries.

Last edited by a moderator:

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
FYI, hs hates Nadal a lot, and it bothers him that Nadal is about to rack up a bunch of points during an extended clay season that will help his ranking for at least the next 52 weeks.

Just always look at what hs says about the ATP through the lense of hating Nadal.

On the other end of the spectrum, Nadal actually wants earned ranking points to stay on LONGER than they do now, which I disagree with completely as well.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thank god the ATP will not do tis

Hs0022

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
FYI, hs hates Nadal a lot, and it bothers him that Nadal is about to rack up a bunch of points during an extended clay season that will help his ranking for at least the next 52 weeks.

Just always look at what hs says about the ATP through the lense of hating Nadal.

On the other end of the spectrum, Nadal actually wants earned ranking points to stay on LONGER than they do now, which I disagree with completely as well.

Nadal wants ranking based on two years worth of points if I remember correctly. The case in point is Wimbledon, there are only two warmup events, so there is no way to know if a guy ranked in top 5 that is good on clay but sucks on grass will stay for the second week. Hence players like Nadal keep getting bounced out in the first couple rounds to low ranked dudes.

There should be more grass events, in fact thegrass swing should be stretched wider over a couple more months and there definitely should be one Master series on grass.

And tennis should mimic chess which has live ratings and gives merit and adds rating points to a low rated player if he beats a higher rated opponent. Basically to earn a high seeding in an event you need to show that your current form is good enough to warrant it. Otherwise players will get lazy and can skip events or pull other kind of crap (like Nadal skipping three slams).