• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Dynasty Strat-O-Matic League

Driaz

People are crazy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I joined a 16 team dynasty strat league and I'm so excited. The league started the last time the shitty Dodgers won a world series! LOL (I better say that as often as possible since it's unfortunately not likely to continue too much longer... :(

I don't know why the previous owner quit? This team is stacked, and my farm system (which I automatically control rights to all players unless they are traded before making the majors) is Atlanta.

upload_2018-3-2_12-15-50.png

That is my roster. (All stats are based off the prior year, so all those guys that had career years last year will be based off of those stats) Players with 1 year left and an option (which it seams every contract given in this league has an option) I can extend the contract, but at 125% for the first year, a 15% raise the second year, and 10% the third year. That is based on the higher of the 17 salary and the 18 calculated salary.

I'm currently only really contemplating extending two players. Tanaka and Hahn. I'm not really high on either of them, but I don't have a lot of pitching at the moment. If I extend any of the stars that's going to really push my salary up, and I personally don't believe JD Martinez, Blackmon, and Stanton are ever going to repeat what they did last year. Plus, I have Acuna, Robles, and Brinson waiting.

The two players listed as v1 are Manaea and Weaver. They are first year veterans and I can sign them at their 2018 calculated rates for up to 3 years with or without an option. The option only costs extra if you cut a player before their contract is over, but it's only 250 points extra so that is why everyone always gives an option year. I plan on giving them both 3 year contracts.

The players listed as c are players that were cut that I still owe. If you cut a player, you are responsible for their entire salary. If someone else claims them, you only pay the current year, and the team that claims them is responsible for the remainder.

The players listed as f are restricted free agents. They all have option years so if I exercise their options, I pay 110% of the higher of their 2017 salary or 2018 calculated. If I don't pick up the option, I have the opportunity to match the highest contract offered by anyone else and retain the player. If I don't match the highest offer, I will be given a compensation draft pick based on the value of the contract the player receives. The higher the contract, the higher the compensation pick.

Rendon is a definite in picking up the option. That would put his salary at around 3600 and then I would shift Jose Ramirez over to second base. Freeman would cost me almost 5600 for the option. Oh, if I pick up the option year, next year they become unrestricted free agents and no compensation or option to match the high offer is given.

The total budget is 75000 points but there are bonus points awarded for various things and fines as well for player over-usage and other shenanigans. I have about 81000 to work with.

My team is a little underwhelming on the pitching. I have Mad Bum, but he only pitched 17 games last year, so the max I can use him during the regular season is for 19 starts. If I make the playoffs, player usage resets and I would be able to use him for 2 starts per series.

But, if I pick up the option on both Rendon and Freeman, holy shit look at that lineup:
CF Blackmon
3B Rendon
RF Stanton
1B Freeman
DH JD Martinez
2B Ramirez
LF Reddick
SS
C Ramos

The top 6 spots in the lineup all have OPS over .900!!! And Reddick was .847

I would only be left with about 14,500 points. Because of the usage factors, I would need to find approximately 60 more starts, and pick up around 4 relievers. Should I pick up the option on Giles as well? With that lineup, I should be able to draft 60 starts of 4.50 era talent pretty cheap. I also need a shortstop, another catcher, and someone to play about 25 games or so at first so I don't overuse Freeman.

This team tied for the most wins last year with 103 so my draft spot is 15th. No snake, I draft 15th each round.

Oh, I forgot about insurance. I am going to claim insurance on Ventura and Eaton so I only have to cover 25% of their salaries, but any player covered under insurance has to remain on your 40 man roster, but not available to use during games.

Driaz

People are crazy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe the previous owner quit because he couldn't stomach that he gave Wilson Ramos a 3 year/15,000 point contract! LOL

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
not very familiar with strat-o-matic... I am trying to read your post, and it is giving me a headache... I will continue trying until I MAY understand what is going on....

Driaz

People are crazy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
not very familiar with strat-o-matic... I am trying to read your post, and it is giving me a headache... I will continue trying until I MAY understand what is going on....

LOL....

Yeah, it's a lot to take in. I've been trying to understand it all for a week and a half now! I thought by trying to explain it all, it would help me think through it!

Strat-o-matic is a computer baseball game based on stats. It originally was a dice based game and each player has a card (like a baseball card if you will) that has outcomes based on rolling 3 six sided dice.

So this is a league that all games are played. You have to have all positions filled (and defense is part of the game).

I will play 81 games on my computer with the opposing manager providing me a manager file where they set the lineups, pitching rotation, relief pitchers roles, etc. My opponent will play the other 81 games with a manager file I provide. In the playoffs, they prefer network play where both players are managing their teams. This league started in 1988 and they used to snail mail all this stuff to each other.

I just thought it was really cool how they have the contracts and everything setup. It almost mimics professional baseball to a tee. (sorry, bad pun there! LOL)

Driaz

People are crazy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's not a computer game like modern computer games. It's all about managing. There is no benefit for having physical video gaming skills! (Thankfully for me! LOL)

obxyankeefan

Hoopla Cash
$ 63,137.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still play APBA om occasion which was Strat-O-Matic's competition. We always drafted teams and never concerned ourselves with contracts, so that part I can't help you much.