• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Atlanta, south Florida, and LA to host Super Bowls

Rockinkuwait

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It seems like a very isolated incident. Sure, a tropical storm hit Miami in February once (The groundhog day storm of 1952). Does that mean we should cross Miami off the list in case another 50 year typhoon hits? 70 mph winds for a SB isn't ideal haha... How would LA deal with an earthquake during the SB weekend? Weather is part of life, do your best to reduce those impacts, but Atlanta is a fine choice, especially since they have a retractable roof so it would have zero impact on the field.

I think an owner was just trying his hardest to get a SB in his city when he brought that up, and no problem with that. My brother lives in Atlanta and told me about an iced up drive home a few years back and how no one was ready for that (as they are so uncommon).. But I think if they had any chance of that happening SB week, they would be bringing in all the salt/sand trucks and scrapers from other places to make sure they would be ok.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's why the old timers go early for a round. I don't mind the heat if I have a cart but walking will definitely sap me in those conditions. We get a lot of humidity in Wisconsin too surprisingly.

I don't blame them...Jul-Aug...if I can't get out by 8, I don't bother to play here much...need to be finishing up by 1p at the latest before the extremes hit. There are a few tracks you can walk walk here, but many don't allow walkers. I'd like to do a little more of that, but on the few we can walk, my golf buddy whines too much...old fart.

I'm heading out to Colo in a couple of weeks and they have ideal summer golf weather...DEN area is surprising relatively flat...lot of walkers...90 deg temps feels like 80 here.

Didn't realize Wisc would have much humidity, but I haven't spent much time up there either....a friend says was have to play golf in MICH upstate...called it a golf mecca??

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It seems like a very isolated incident. Sure, a tropical storm hit Miami in February once (The groundhog day storm of 1952). Does that mean we should cross Miami off the list in case another 50 year typhoon hits? 70 mph winds for a SB isn't ideal haha... How would LA deal with an earthquake during the SB weekend? Weather is part of life, do your best to reduce those impacts, but Atlanta is a fine choice, especially since they have a retractable roof so it would have zero impact on the field.

I think an owner was just trying his hardest to get a SB in his city when he brought that up, and no problem with that. My brother lives in Atlanta and told me about an iced up drive home a few years back and how no one was ready for that (as they are so uncommon).. But I think if they had any chance of that happening SB week, they would be bringing in all the salt/sand trucks and scrapers from other places to make sure they would be ok.

Never going to compete with FL, AZ, CA for the normal SB rota imo...North GA does has a winter, but snow and ice are rare. This year I had 5 or 6 rounds of golf in already before March...30s at night, high 40s to low 50s during the day are pretty much the norm.

That was a freak situation, but since the really bad ice storm that shut the city down...they have invested in more snow/ice removal equipment...

Rockinkuwait

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm heading out to Colo in a couple of weeks and they have ideal summer golf weather...DEN area is surprising relatively flat...lot of walkers...90 deg temps feels like 80 here.

We do have an interesting mix of courses out here. Not a "good" golfer by any means, but I play a little and really enjoy it. You are right about the humidity really affecting how hot it feels. I grew up in Florida, so didn't really notice it as much then, but went back in August a couple years ago and really felt it.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We do have an interesting mix of courses out here. Not a "good" golfer by any means, but I play a little and really enjoy it. You are right about the humidity really affecting how hot it feels. I grew up in Florida, so didn't really notice it as much then, but went back in August a couple years ago and really felt it.

I'm sure you did!

It's a game for life really...picked it up in my mid 30s initially...stopped for a while when the kids were growing up since they didn't stick with it, picked it back up regularly about 3 yrs ago...now that the kids are grown...the wife may start playing, but I don't push it.

I have family in Brighton so I get out that way once a yr or so and I always enjoy the trip...this time we're heading out I70 to Grand Junction and will play in the mountains proper and play our way back towards DEN.

Rockinkuwait

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm sure you did!

It's a game for life really...picked it up in my mid 30s initially...stopped for a while when the kids were growing up since they didn't stick with it, picked it back up regularly about 3 yrs ago...now that the kids are grown...the wife may start playing, but I don't push it.

I have family in Brighton so I get out that way once a yr or so and I always enjoy the trip...this time we're heading out I70 to Grand Junction and will play in the mountains proper and play our way back towards DEN.

I started as a kid. My dad worked for a millionaire/billionaire golf club/home area where in summer employees could play free (got to meet Ralph Wilson who had a home there).

Anyways, didn't play again until a few years ago when I got a membership at the local course to me for something to do and played most every day for about 6 months. Now just play a few times a year.

And that drive is so beautiful along I-70. I go jeeping out in Moab every summer and drive through there. Plus the nice part about golf in the mountains is while it may be 90 on the front range, it is 70 on some of the higher elevation courses.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I started as a kid. My dad worked for a millionaire/billionaire golf club/home area where in summer employees could play free (got to meet Ralph Wilson who had a home there).

Anyways, didn't play again until a few years ago when I got a membership at the local course to me for something to do and played most every day for about 6 months. Now just play a few times a year.

And that drive is so beautiful along I-70. I go jeeping out in Moab every summer and drive through there. Plus the nice part about golf in the mountains is while it may be 90 on the front range, it is 70 on some of the higher elevation courses.

Wish I had started young...at some point the game will call you back as a regular. Lived near Tampa in the mid 80s and met the wife there...her sis is still there so we visit a bit...some great golf there.

Never done the I70 trip west so I'm looking forward to it....we have played golf on the front range, and went of the estes park and encountered light snow the same day...that was cool.

night

Undocumented PhD
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't blame them...Jul-Aug...if I can't get out by 8, I don't bother to play here much...need to be finishing up by 1p at the latest before the extremes hit. There are a few tracks you can walk walk here, but many don't allow walkers. I'd like to do a little more of that, but on the few we can walk, my golf buddy whines too much...old fart.

Didn't realize Wisc would have much humidity, but I haven't spent much time up there either....a friend says was have to play golf in MICH upstate...called it a golf mecca??
To be honest the only place I've been to in Michigan is the Detroit airport. I will have to have a weekend golf getaway up there sometime soon. Yeah, in Wisconsin it's pretty normal for it to hit 70-80% humidity.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To be honest the only place I've been to in Michigan is the Detroit airport. I will have to have a weekend golf getaway up there sometime soon. Yeah, in Wisconsin it's pretty normal for it to hit 70-80% humidity.

For a while we had a crew of 6 to 9 guys that traveled around playing golf and we used the Golf Digest Top 100 You Can Play as the unofficial guide and there were a few in MICH on the list so I did know something about it, but just never realized it was a mecca if you will...the afternoon drive sportstalk guys here were broadcasting from up there a few days on a promotional trip to northern MICH promoting golf, so I assume there is more to than I thought.

Erin Hills in Wis is highly regarded as well and the USO is heading there soon I think, maybe '17 or '18...if it's not already through the roof to play...it will be after that.

Side note...if you didn't see my thread in the Falcons folder, per Quinn's most recent interview at OTAs, it turns out Vic Beasley moving to LB is true, but he's still going to be an edge pass rusher...that had a few people here alarmed a little.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Too bad Seattle never gets considered. This place would rock a SB.

tducey

Sports discussion
Hoopla Cash
$ 46,233.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree, Seattle would be a great Super Bowl location, seems like 1 of the better cities in the US.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Too bad Seattle never gets considered. This place would rock a SB.

The only worry I would have with that is the traffic concern. I know most big cities have traffic concerns but he down town area with just normal traffic in Seattle is terrible. I can't imagine it with the Super Bowl how that would go down by the stadium. Beyond that though yeah I agree Seattle would be an incredible place to have it. I miss living there. If I had the opportunity to move back I would in a heartbeat.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only worry I would have with that is the traffic concern. I know most big cities have traffic concerns but he down town area with just normal traffic in Seattle is terrible. I can't imagine it with the Super Bowl how that would go down by the stadium. Beyond that though yeah I agree Seattle would be an incredible place to have it. I miss living there. If I had the opportunity to move back I would in a heartbeat.
Yep, traffic would be insane. No doubt. Public mass transit is also not robust enough to accommodate the huge spike in tourism that a SB would bring.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep, traffic would be insane. No doubt. Public mass transit is also not robust enough to accommodate the huge spike in tourism that a SB would bring.

Some changes would definitely have to be considered if they were to host a Super Bowl but I do think the city could get something figured out. Like I said it is a great city with a lot of opportunities to make it an incredible week for fans. Downtown though might just have to agree to shut down for the week to maybe accommodate for the fans coming in. My wife worked down town and we didn't live all that far away but I remember it taking at least a half hour to get her to work and that was with hoping no wrecks happened which seemed to happen every day at the worst place possible where it goes down to 2-lanes on I-5.

Rockinkuwait

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wish I had started young...at some point the game will call you back as a regular. Lived near Tampa in the mid 80s and met the wife there...her sis is still there so we visit a bit...some great golf there.

Never done the I70 trip west so I'm looking forward to it....we have played golf on the front range, and went of the estes park and encountered light snow the same day...that was cool.

That is funny... my dad lives in Brandon now... So glad I don't have that humidity.

And you are right about the Colorado weather. A couple weeks ago I had to get up early to mow my lawn before the snow fell... Had been having all these 70 degree days with rain, then snow on the next one. Of course in the mountains you can start a day at 80 degrees and after an hour or two of driving be playing in snow.

RobToxin

Roid Raging
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.08
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh God!

:doh:

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is funny... my dad lives in Brandon now... So glad I don't have that humidity.

And you are right about the Colorado weather. A couple weeks ago I had to get up early to mow my lawn before the snow fell... Had been having all these 70 degree days with rain, then snow on the next one. Of course in the mountains you can start a day at 80 degrees and after an hour or two of driving be playing in snow.

Plant City/Brandon was pretty much a cow town when we left, but you could tell growth was headed that way...FL has a few spots I wouldn't mind retiring to...Bonita Springs on the gulf and that pocket...Jensen Beach down to Jupiter on the Atlantic.

Colo...I fly out next Fri morning early and we should be on the road to Grand Jct...by 8a Denver time...hoping for some decent weather, but I'm bringing a little bit a everything clothes wise...lol