• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Article on the Sox from the 538 nerds

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not a bad piece

It's just hard to say we haven't "lived up" to some sort of expectation - when half our damn lineup has been out most of the season and we're nearly 20 games over .500 while we are 9 up in the division. When Eloy/Robert get settled in (Grandal is back somewhat soon too) and we're still sort of just on cruise control in a weak Central? Sure, I'll buy that we haven't become the force that we looked like. That being said - it's just unfair right now to say we've let people down. The lineup that created those expectations has only been half there the ENTIRE year.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's just hard to say we haven't "lived up" to some sort of expectation - when half our damn lineup has been out most of the season and we're nearly 20 games over .500 while we are 9 up in the division. When Eloy/Robert get settled in (Grandal is back somewhat soon too) and we're still sort of just on cruise control in a weak Central? Sure, I'll buy that we haven't become the force that we looked like. That being said - it's just unfair right now to say we've let people down. The lineup that created those expectations has only been half there the ENTIRE year.
Being up in this division is nothing to brag about, there's no other good teams there. But sure, fully healthy they might be great, which the article does say.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Being up in this division is nothing to brag about, there's no other good teams there. But sure, fully healthy they might be great, which the article does say.
Yeah, that was why I said "on cruise control in a weak central". That's what we've been. Sort of just cruising along doing just enough to keep a weak division at a distance.

I was not implying leading the division is something to brag on.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, that was why I said "on cruise control in a weak central". That's what we've been. Sort of just cruising along doing just enough to keep a weak division at a distance.

I was not implying leading the division is something to brag on.
OK understood

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's a good article, but I'm in complete agreement with richi in that it's hard for us to show just how good we are or can be when up to half of our starting positional players (and at one point 5 of them) have been on some form of IL. I'm definitely not gonna say that if we were completely healthy all year, we'd have the best record, because there are other variables involved, mainly the often-disappointing performances in our pen. So yes there is room for improvement. But I think having been hamstrung with so many injuries this season, it's hard to feel that we're at the top of our game.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's a good article, but I'm in complete agreement with richi in that it's hard for us to show just how good we are or can be when up to half of our starting positional players (and at one point 5 of them) have been on some form of IL. I'm definitely not gonna say that if we were completely healthy all year, we'd have the best record, because there are other variables involved, mainly the often-disappointing performances in our pen. So yes there is room for improvement. But I think having been hamstrung with so many injuries this season, it's hard to feel that we're at the top of our game.
But doesn't every team deal with injuries? Giants, Dodgers, Mets, Yankees, etc everyone has em.

But yeah obviously they have potential to be great when all healthy and ready, the article never denies that

If anything the Sox are really good because of their depth, they had productive fillins all year for their injured guys

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But doesn't every team deal with injuries? Giants, Dodgers, Mets, Yankees, etc everyone has em.

But yeah obviously they have potential to be great when all healthy and ready, the article never denies that

If anything the Sox are really good because of their depth, they had productive fillins all year for their injured guys
Yes, every team has to deal with injuries, could not agree more. I've often said this myself so as not to make excuses for poor play. But there's little doubt our club has experienced a disproportionate amount of key injuries.

Jiddy

I wear my Meatball Badge with honor.
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For the record, I'm not let down at all outside of a few individual performances. As a team? We lost two of our best players and are cruising in the division. Yeah, perfect storm with Twins/Indians becoming sh*t on a stick...but whatever...I'd take our current record in a heartbeat if you told me we had multiple big injuries and both Giolito AND Keuchel were performing below their expectation.