• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Armchair GMs...check this out.

Microwahevo

Green St. Elite
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,481.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If this were true he'd be an NFL HC right now.

NFL owners and GM's "Fuck Suh. Austin makes that D go! Plug Fluellen in there!"

Yet he's back w the Lions?

C'mon now fellas.
Not being a dick here, surprising I know, but can you show me a first time D-coordinator that got a head coaching gig after one year without ever being a coordinator before? I can't think of any of the top of my head. My guess as to why he didn't get a head coaching job. If he has another good year(doesn't need a great one imo) teams will come knocking again, and probably get an offer.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not being a dick here, surprising I know, but can you show me a first time D-coordinator that got a head coaching gig after one year without ever being a coordinator before? I can't think of any of the top of my head. My guess as to why he didn't get a head coaching job. If he has another good year(doesn't need a great one imo) teams will come knocking again, and probably get an offer.

This argument goes away the second credit the D is solely credited to Austin and his scheme. Can't have it both ways. If he really isn't going to miss a beat without Suh as you say, he'd a be HC right now.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rod Marinelli got a HC job without ever being a DC, Micro. Must a been a dumb ass assistant GM on that team giving advice, eh?

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Detroit will have cap space to sign multiple players -- just not in 2015. They added 8.5 million with Ngata and already have 9 million on the books from Suh's last contract.

If Detroit was able to get Suh to re-sign in Detroit -- they would have had to restructure contracts and possible lose a few starters to fit everything in under the cap for the upcoming year.

Now if Detroit does nothing next year in FA -- I would be asking questions why they aren't. The Suh money is off the books, which will free up 9 million right off the bat.

Ngata doesn't really do it for me. 31, coming off a an Adderall suspension, 1 year deal, not willing to take a pay cut etc..etc..

Re-signing Orlovsky, Moore and Sims really doesn't inspire me.

Microwahevo

Green St. Elite
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,481.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rod Marinelli got a HC job without ever being a DC, Micro. Must a been a dumb ass assistant GM on that team giving advice, eh?
There you go. Easy answer. Look what that hiring got that franchise. I'll assume this isn't the norm. Austin has more to prove imo. I still have faith, unlike some.

Microwahevo

Green St. Elite
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,481.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This argument goes away the second credit the D is solely credited to Austin and his scheme. Can't have it both ways. If he really isn't going to miss a beat without Suh as you say, he'd a be HC right now.
Not having it both ways. But Austin doesn't need another year like last to get a head coaching job. Imo, he could still have a top 10 D and land a gig.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not having it both ways. But Austin doesn't need another year like last to get a head coaching job. Imo, he could still have a top 10 D and land a gig.

Probably, but I don't expect a top 10 D from him. To lose Suh and still finish in the top 10 would incredible, and if other teams really believe that he can lose Suh and still do that, he would have gotten snatched up imo.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There you go. Easy answer. Look what that hiring got that franchise. I'll assume this isn't the norm. Austin has more to prove imo. I still have faith, unlike some.

Yep. Not everyone in the world agrees on stuff. Crazy.

TwoCents22

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rob I do think you overvalue Suh. That's coming from someone who felt Suh was the biggest reason our defense was top 3. Austin did do a tremendous job, and I still like our D to finish close to, if not in, the top 10.

That being said, our best case scenario is our defense being good and carrying us again and we lose Austin. Hopefully, under those circumstances, either our offense sucks or makes the jump to elite. Because if our offense is mediocre I'm afraid Caldwell and Lombardi will still keep their jobs while we lose Austin. At least if our offense sucks there's a chance we'll promote Austin to HC.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Probably, but I don't expect a top 10 D from him. To lose Suh and still finish in the top 10 would incredible, and if other teams really believe that he can lose Suh and still do that, he would have gotten snatched up imo.

Did GMs know Austin was going to lose Suh? I guess Mayhew told them the truth but lied to you.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rob I do think you overvalue Suh.

It's cool. I think some overvalue the rest of this team, and undervalue Suh. It's my belief that he carried this team the entire time he was here, and without them, they lose a lot of games they have won in the with him.

We'll see.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think two guys, collectively, can be better or as good as one Suh. Whoever the tandem will be could potentially be better than what we had.

Rollingthndr

FantasyFootball Pessimist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is hindsight, Blue. I could've easily made an argument for Evans or OBJ before the draft. I actually did for Evans

I think everyone kind of knew Evans was going to be a beast. His drop rate in college was like less than 4% or something insane.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You are assuming a GM said lets interview this guy, but we will only hire him if we feel he can run a defense without Suh.

Kinda. But I still don't get your reply.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Suh has absolutely nothing to do in the thought process IMO for a GM. Only in Swarmville it does. As a GM I look and say this guy took a defense that added Digs, lost Fairley and Tulloch for many games replaced by two rotational guys and maintained a top ranked defense that was middle of road at best for years. I llike his scheme. let's hire him. The entire NFL is not based around Suh.

Austin showed he took the same players and elevated them. Did Suh help hell yeah... Was he the only reason? We will see after week 16. Nobody in this debate is right or wrong yet. They got to play the games before you can say 5-11, right? After all 5-11 last year from you actually finished 11-5.
A GM would question can he do that with our personnel? As with any new hire. Not can he do it without Suh?

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rob I do think you overvalue Suh. That's coming from someone who felt Suh was the biggest reason our defense was top 3. Austin did do a tremendous job, and I still like our D to finish close to, if not in, the top 10.

That being said, our best case scenario is our defense being good and carrying us again and we lose Austin. Hopefully, under those circumstances, either our offense sucks or makes the jump to elite. Because if our offense is mediocre I'm afraid Caldwell and Lombardi will still keep their jobs while we lose Austin. At least if our offense sucks there's a chance we'll promote Austin to HC.

My fear as well.

Would like to see the offense take a big step forward and the defense maybe half a step back. This would mean winning and still making the playoffs but not impressive enough that we lose anyone especially Austin. The following year we have an additional 20 mil a year to spend on bringing in the final pieces to give this team a chance at the big show.

Rollingthndr

FantasyFootball Pessimist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Suh has absolutely nothing to do in the thought process IMO for a GM. Only in Swarmville it does. As a GM I look and say this guy took a defense that added Digs, lost Fairley and Tulloch for many games replaced by two rotational guys and maintained a top ranked defense that was middle of road at best for years. I llike his scheme. let's hire him. The entire NFL is not based around Suh.

Austin showed he took the same players and elevated them. Did Suh help hell yeah... Was he the only reason? We will see after week 16. Nobody in this debate is right or wrong yet. They got to play the games before you can say 5-11, right? After all 5-11 last year from you actually finished 11-5.
A GM would question can he do that with our personnel? As with any new hire. Not can he do it without Suh?

I think the play of Mathis and Slay is being long forgotten on this board.

Most of the Kudos are going to Austin or Suh.

TBBishop

The One And Only!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I won't go through this entire thread to read everyone comments but I bet a few of you had head explosions with the idea that he is mediocre.