• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Armchair GMs...check this out.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep. And they all were wrong...dead wrong.

giphy.gif

jdwills126

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mayhew immediately went to work to improve the personnel department with the hire of former Denver Broncos general manager Brian Xanders, who joins the front office as a senior personnel executive to assist with talent evaluation and set up an in-house scouting system.

Detroit Lions are hoping coaching changes add new perspective to team challenges

General Manager Martin Mayhew has provided a few more details about how Xanders will be doing that. Xanders has been tasked with creating a new, proprietary scouting database for the Lions to use in both college and pro scouting. It’s something Xanders has done for other teams in the past and is part of a larger league-wide transition to a more analytical, data-driven approach than in the past

Brian Xanders developing new scouting database for Lions | ProFootballTalk

Two articles on what Xanders has and is doing for the Lions. IMO he has stayed so far in the background that it is hard to say what his input actually is. I go on what I read and heard and that he was to help the UFA and later round picks. The one aspect of the last few years that has been successful has been the UFA. As much as I or any one else likes or dislikes the guy the people...namely the Fords...need to know who in the organization is actually doing good work.

If the Ford's are happy with Mayhew they pay his salary and it just doesn't matter what anyone else thinks. Look how long Millen stayed employed!

LPinSLC

Gang Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Show me how a team can afford 3 outrageous contracts, and still pay talent to surround them. The obvious solution on this board is part ways with 1 of the other 2. What about Suh makes you believe that he would've stayed anyways? PR statements? You have 2 players under contract and you're supposed to gamble a sure thing with a possibility? What would it cost to match the dolphins contract when you factor in no state taxes? People complain about paying Stafford his contract. His position is QB. Can anyone truly justify paying any DT more money than it's franchises best QB ever?

Leave your emotions at the door.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So what you're saying is...is that Xanders had something to do with the Ebron pick or is that somehow removed from the equation?

While everyone here knows my feelings on the Ebron pick, it is impossible to pass judgement on the 2014 draft class after one year. After one year -- does the pick look absolutely foolish? Absolutely, seeing as how the next 4 guys drafted would all fill a need and 3 of the 4 were in the pro bowl as rookies (OBJ, Martin, Aaron Donald). Would I rather have OBJ, Martin, Donald or Fuller? Without question. But we don't.

If we are going to value the 2014 draft after year 1 -- it was an utter failure. Ebron was terrible. Van Noy was injured. Travis Swanson was the best player and he was a backup. Nevin Lawson was injured. Webster is a project. TJ Jones was injured. Nate Freese was terrible.

It was only one year though. If we get the same production in year 2. Then we have real issues. I'm hoping we see major progression in our top 2 picks.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While I felt Mayhew has final call on picks due to the Ebron pick. I stated last year during
SS1 shit storm1 that if you give credit to Zanders, you also have to give props to Mayhew for hiring him.
Not sure I was Suhposta give credit to Mayhew, as now I surely love every move and I'm a Rusty lover.

LPinSLC

Gang Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While everyone here knows my feelings on the Ebron pick, it is impossible to pass judgement on the 2014 draft class after one year. After one year -- does the pick look absolutely foolish? Absolutely, seeing as how the next 4 guys drafted would all fill a need and 3 of the 4 were in the pro bowl as rookies (OBJ, Martin, Aaron Donald). Would I rather have OBJ, Martin, Donald or Fuller? Without question. But we don't.

If we are going to value the 2014 draft after year 1 -- it was an utter failure. Ebron was terrible. Van Noy was injured. Travis Swanson was the best player and he was a backup. Nevin Lawson was injured. Webster is a project. TJ Jones was injured. Nate Freese was terrible.

It was only one year though. If we get the same production in year 2. Then we have real issues. I'm hoping we see major progression in our top 2 picks.
Unless the player had previous injury concerns, then the worst it can be is unfortunate.

Hindsight is always 20/20.

The Ebron pick, will always be awful IMO because of need, roster, position, and draft position. Years down the road you can evaluate a position and determine whether draft position held value. What gets lost often times is the state of affairs that the team that drafted him was in. I hope he succeeds because it will hurt less but Xanders AND Mayhew screwed the pooch on that pick.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Ebron pick, will always be awful IMO because of need, roster, position, and draft position. Years down the road you can evaluate a position and determine whether draft position held value. What gets lost often times is the state of affairs that the team that drafted him was in. I hope he succeeds because it will hurt less but Xanders AND Mayhew screwed the pooch on that pick.

I don't want to get into the whole Ebron debate, as it has been beaten to death. I will just say -- I feel the exact same way as you. I will leave it at that.

LPinSLC

Gang Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't want to get into the whole Ebron debate, as it has been beaten to death. I will just say -- I feel the exact same way as you. I will leave it at that.
You and I(along with others) have held this same stance since draft day. The difference between us, I've said it a lot less.

Coach_Ed_LPW

Coach of the Year
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unless the player had previous injury concerns, then the worst it can be is unfortunate.

Hindsight is always 20/20.

What if...just what if this year he has say....80+ catches...1000 + yards and say...8-10 TD's?

LPinSLC

Gang Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What if...just what if this year he has say....80+ catches...1000 + yards and say...8-10 TD's?
I'm a Lions fan. I'd be ecstatic. I'll never hope for any Lion to fail. My view of the pick really couldn't change because of his position. I don't like a TE(with my view of team needs and then current roster) with #10. He didn't have great speed or great hands. At least if he had I could have entertained the idea.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'd say he traded numbers with Calvin for some reason.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm a Lions fan. I'd be ecstatic. I'll never hope for any Lion to fail. My view of the pick really couldn't change because of his position. I don't like a TE(with my view of team needs and then current roster) with #10. He didn't have great speed or great hands. At least if he had I could have entertained the idea.

Lions fans LOOOOOVE to use the mighty Patriots as the measuring stick whenever discussing how the Lions should do things.

"You don't see the Patriots spending 19 millions on a DT, bitch!" - Mayhew fans

Some of these same fans defend the Ebron pick, but never mention how the best TE in the NFL was drafted by New England....in the 2nd round.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Im the only person that doesn't, hasn't and might not hate the Ebron pick, aren't I.

You bunch of haters.....

Rollingthndr

FantasyFootball Pessimist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Millen also went on PFT to claim that he called the Raiders to warn them not to draft Jamarcus Russell.

Based on records before and after Millen I don't think you can blame Mayhew for those years. After he took over the team has gone from worst ever to 2 playoffs in 3 years. The problem is I think we are at Mayhew's ceiling, he is kinda like Schwartz was as a coach, good enough to get the ball rolling, but not good enough to get the team over the hump.

It is time for Mayhew to go, but I don't think you can discount the team improvement during his tenure. He is a middle of the road GM that brought the Lions to middle of the road.

Millen: Don't draft Jamarcus...
Al Davis: This guy doesn't want me to draft Jamarcus. Which means he really does want me to draft Jamarcus. Or maybe he doesn't but knew I would because he said not to but maybe he thinks that if I don't think he wants Jamarcus that I won't draft him.

Millen to Mayhew: If he passes on Jamarcus, I'm definitely taking him.

LPinSLC

Gang Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Millen: Don't draft Jamarcus...
Al Davis: This guy doesn't want me to draft Jamarcus. Which means he really does want me to draft Jamarcus. Or maybe he doesn't but knew I would because he said not to but maybe he thinks that if I don't think he wants Jamarcus that I won't draft him.

Millen to Mayhew: If he passes on Jamarcus, I'm definitely taking him.
Fantastic!

Rollingthndr

FantasyFootball Pessimist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Show me how a team can afford 3 outrageous contracts, and still pay talent to surround them. The obvious solution on this board is part ways with 1 of the other 2. What about Suh makes you believe that he would've stayed anyways? PR statements? You have 2 players under contract and you're supposed to gamble a sure thing with a possibility? What would it cost to match the dolphins contract when you factor in no state taxes? People complain about paying Stafford his contract. His position is QB. Can anyone truly justify paying any DT more money than it's franchises best QB ever?

Leave your emotions at the door.

Mayhew: Can't afford all 3. Let's let Suh walk and build around Stafford and Johnson.

Caldwell: Great idea. You do that while the coaching staff and I build an offense around the running game.