• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Areas of Weakness 2019

iknowftbll

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
with the draft over we have a better idea of what the team leadership’s vision for 2019 looks like. Overall I like it. I think this has the potential to be a much improved team over last year.

Some issues still concern me.

Overall it’s a lot of new faces. That can go both ways: the team can get lucky early and then gel or get figured out and fall apart the way the 2009 Broncos did. Or they could be a complete dumpster fire like they were the last time they brought in a new coach.

But those are big picture things. On a smaller level I have one emerging concern for 2019: run defense. After letting Peko go and seemingly not doing anything to replace him but relying on Kerr and Harris to step into that role has me a little nervous. I think our defense overall will be better than last year’s but the run defense may be exploitable.

What are some smaller areas of concern you have?

femurov

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,138.34
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
with the draft over we have a better idea of what the team leadership’s vision for 2019 looks like. Overall I like it. I think this has the potential to be a much improved team over last year.

Some issues still concern me.

Overall it’s a lot of new faces. That can go both ways: the team can get lucky early and then gel or get figured out and fall apart the way the 2009 Broncos did. Or they could be a complete dumpster fire like they were the last time they brought in a new coach.

But those are big picture things. On a smaller level I have one emerging concern for 2019: run defense. After letting Peko go and seemingly not doing anything to replace him but relying on Kerr and Harris to step into that role has me a little nervous. I think our defense overall will be better than last year’s but the run defense may be exploitable.

What are some smaller areas of concern you have?
MLB and S. Maybe CB, if we don't get Harris restructured.

femurov

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,138.34
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But there is still time to make moves to plug these holes. Trades, post June 1 cuts, and if you want to procrastinate, the final cuts after preseason are a couple places we can look to find a low level starter or quality depth.

nflbronco

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
CB MLB WR (Depends on Sanders and Harris) situations

SpringStein

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
QB

Is there anything more important?

fightinredantz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You guys have hit on most of my areas but the one place that has not been mentioned is Oline. We are going to rely heavily on a rookie, and the right side of the line is brand new to the team from 2018. Leary is not any younger and injuries have really taken a toll.

If this team is going to be successful at all the Oline will have to gel and play well as a unit. The most important player on a football team is the QB, but the most important unit is the Oline IMHO. On paper the Oline looke pretty good, but they will have to take that potential and mold it into performance on the field.

iknowftbll

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Offensive line is definitely another area that can potentially derail the season. I am optimistic about this unit though. We have some solid pieces returning and even though this unit was well coached through an injury ridden season performed well in run blocking. The coaching is upgraded and Munch has a reputation for building great units. I won’t be surprised to see the Broncos offense rank top 5 in the run game.

And that brings me to the other weakness @SpringStein mentioned, QB. I wasn’t thrilled about the Flacco trade, just like I wasn’t thrilled when the signed Keemun last year. Keenum grew on me and Flacco has too. Call it a spirit of eternal optimism. But whereas Keenum was never in a position to succeed (play calling, etc) Flacco stands a pretty good chance do to better physical skills and hopefully an OC who calls plays that suit the players strengths. The team also drafted seemingly specifically to give him the tools he likes to work with by selecting Fant.

So while those are definitely areas of concern I’ve seen enough to believe there will be improvement. I just can’t say the same about the run defense.

nflbronco

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We aren't a SB contender this year, So its more about building new culture and installing new systems. Can't fix all weaknesses in 1 offseason. QB is a weakness but, at least all 3 QB's will be in the system now not 12 months from now. CHJ issue is only thing I'm most concerned about in 19.

CEH

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Flacco will guide us to 9-7, 10-6
He’s that type of QB
If we can get in who knows weird stuff happens past the WC round

Orange Crush77

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
MLBer and DT. The soul of our defense. I think we are ok at safety if Jackson stays there. Harris must be retained. Hopefully Fangio got a trick up his sleeve

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lets not forget Jamal Carter is back healthy at safety too. He was an impressive UDFA the year before.

MileHigh64

Broncos Fanatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,033.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Weakness?
  • All new coaching staff
  • New quarterback
  • Year two players that need to make the jump
  • Rookies needing to be starters and impact players now
  • Strength of schedule
  • Offensive line
  • Middle of the defense
  • Unstable ownership situation
  • A stadium with no name
  • Volatile and unpredictable weather
Having said all that, I think the Broncos will be better than last year. How much better is the question that none of us can answer yet.

Go Broncos!

SpiritOf77

Lucas707
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
By playoff time, we will be talking about how AJ Johnson deserves a pro bowl nod

Can a guy get Comeback Player of the year if he hasn;t played ?? ... Whatever the case, have no fear The Godfather is here ... AJ will surprise everyone

fightinredantz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
By playoff time, we will be talking about how AJ Johnson deserves a pro bowl nod

Can a guy get Comeback Player of the year if he hasn;t played ?? ... Whatever the case, have no fear The Godfather is here ... AJ will surprise everyone

I still have hope for him. He was away from football for a long time. I don't know that playing football is like riding a bike, especially when you take a long break between college and the NFL.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looking more and more like Fangio wants Kareem to play safety. He’s starting out OTA’s there but says it doesn’t mean he will stay there.

Duffman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,535.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looking more and more like Fangio wants Kareem to play safety. He’s starting out OTA’s there but says it doesn’t mean he will stay there.

So does he play SS or FS. If it’s SS does that mean Simmons can go back to his more traditional role?

Dr Cyanide 28

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So does he play SS or FS. If it’s SS does that mean Simmons can go back to his more traditional role?

I would say less splitting the FS vs SS roles in this scheme, given how many 2 deep Safety looks and less S in the box looks this year

listopencil

I've Seen Better Days
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The biggest weakness on the team, to me, is QB. Because I don't know how Flacco is going to turn out and the position is so important.

After that I would have said NT, but it looks like Fangio is going to run a 1-gap scheme that fits the only guy on the roster listed as a NT. And we now have other guys that look the part as well.

After that I'd say ILB but they've been having one of the rookies practice at OLB/ILB and reports are that he's looking good.

Finally the O-Line is my last concern. I'm pretty optimistic about it though. Munchak is supposed to be a guru and we added a potentially great player there through the draft as well as a stud at RT through free agency.

SpiritOf77

Lucas707
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess McMahon and the rest of the organization is sold on Wadman as the punter .. He had some promising moments, but Wadman also had some very uninspired games last season ..

We've seen it before -- the defense can being playing lights-out into the 3rd quarter but there are only so many times that the D can hold off teams that are starting drives on the wrong side of the 50 yard line ..

If Wadman cannot flip the field and keep the defense from constantly having to defend a short field, that could be demoralizing and it will have a snowball effect on this defense, which, as much as we've done in the offseason on the offensive side, I feel is the identity of this team w/ Vic as the HC ...

I'm surprised that so far, there's no competition for Wadman .. He's gotta take his game up a notch or it could reflect poorly on the D and the scoreboard ...

WalkerBoh

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess McMahon and the rest of the organization is sold on Wadman as the punter .. He had some promising moments, but Wadman also had some very uninspired games last season ..

We've seen it before -- the defense can being playing lights-out into the 3rd quarter but there are only so many times that the D can hold off teams that are starting drives on the wrong side of the 50 yard line ..

If Wadman cannot flip the field and keep the defense from constantly having to defend a short field, that could be demoralizing and it will have a snowball effect on this defense, which, as much as we've done in the offseason on the offensive side, I feel is the identity of this team w/ Vic as the HC ...

I'm surprised that so far, there's no competition for Wadman .. He's gotta take his game up a notch or it could reflect poorly on the D and the scoreboard ...
A strong running game that minimizes 3 and outs should help alleviate a majority of bad field position chances.