• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Are you a BCS Conference Player snob?

jdwills126

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Every year when the draft rolls around we discuss players but are you bias to thinking a big time program prospect is a better player?

For example this year I was discussing Barr vs Mack with some guys from work and Barr was getting more love, and the most common cited reason was he played in a BCS Conference. Big time school playing big time competition. But most talking heads have Mack as the better prospect. And some believe CJ Mosley when talking about 4-3 teams.

I have to admit it's a pretty tough argument to counter. And I get it's ever a given but I tend to agree I like a guy that plays against the best competition week in and out. It has go to be easier to assess talent when they play Greg Robinson, Taylor Lewan, Cyrus Richardson and the likes every week.

Do you give the edge to a player based upon the guys they competed against?

themuzzer

Hoopla Cash
$ 400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I take it a step further and not say BCS schools.....Give me guys from the SEC best conference right now from the BCS......

I say that because people start throwing stats around, it's easy to rack up stats when playing slow white guys from Buffalo or Ball State etc., that's not racist just fact.... It's not a stereotype if it's true, think Daniel Tosh said that.

Give me SEC players with good character (hard to find) and you will better your football team.

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Usually I prefer a BCS school, but when a player sets NCAA records I take that as a good sign. Mack owns the NCAA record for Tackles for a loss and Forced Fumbles.

Against Ohio State he had 2.5 sacks and a pick 6. Of the 3 picks he had this year his shortest return was 35 yards, and that was because it was a TD. I think Mack is one of those smaller school players that will excel in the nfl.

Last edited by a moderator:

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think BCS conference players are more polished and ready to make a quicker impact, but overall I think the career potential isn't much influenced on where the prospect goes to school.

Generally speaking, though, the best players go to the best schools, so the BCS has a big numbers advantage,with big conferneces like the Big 10, PAC 10, ACC, and particularly the SEC kicking out the vast majority of NFL stars...

lionscanWIN

The Morenci Mauler
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
when it comes to my first and 2nd round prospects yeah i am definitely a BCS snob. 2nd round i am more forgiving but that first round pick basically has to be game ready by week 1 with a small honeymoon period before you need to start seeing your return on investment.

while there are plenty of prospects from outside the BCS that can play and develop fully. there is just a huge jump in competition levels from basically DII to the NFL that they end up relying too much on that athletic talent early and get burned because of it. In the end it is just a really tricky balancing act figuring out that years talent pool, their freakish athletic ability and their eventual development end. If you draft a nonBCS player early you need to know that that kid is going to be something special soon otherwise you will get hell for it.

TBBishop

The One And Only!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it's more about what we've seen than where they come from. By that I mean are you just looking at the stats or did you actually watch these kids play? I watched a game or 2 of UCLA's. I certainly saw several Bama games. If the Buffalo game was on my TV the guide was surely on over it. So everything I know about Mack is second hand. I'm likely to prefer the guy I've actually watched play and since the vast majority of what I watch are BCS (we need a new term/acronym, huh?) teams then I would tend to gravitate that way. But it's all about getting the right guy and if he's from a small school, whatever.

jdwills126

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it's more about what we've seen than where they come from. By that I mean are you just looking at the stats or did you actually watch these kids play? I watched a game or 2 of UCLA's. I certainly saw several Bama games. If the Buffalo game was on my TV the guide was surely on over it. So everything I know about Mack is second hand. I'm likely to prefer the guy I've actually watched play and since the vast majority of what I watch are BCS (we need a new term/acronym, huh?) teams then I would tend to gravitate that way. But it's all about getting the right guy and if he's from a small school, whatever.

And thats the thing we do not watch the tape. We only go by what we perceive and the he played in the SEC so he had to play against X and yet we really have no idea how he did against X just he played them.

I thought Taylor Lewan was awful this year….the experts disagree. So much for my GM skills!

Thruthefog

Can'tre Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm a saltine cracker snob. It's Zesta or nothing.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Those are the best crackers. Conference doesn't necessarily matter. But it affects how I judge offensive stats. I'll hold a players school against him. Run n Gun offensive programs that don't care if they just out score opponents aren't where I want to see defensive draft picks come from. Cliff Avril still SUCKS!

themuzzer

Hoopla Cash
$ 400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not as bad as Ryan Raburn!

Naughtymax

Internet MMA God
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm a....hmmm....tequila snob. It's great when it's the good stuff, and horrible when it's the bargain-basement crap.

Oh, and Coke is the only cola worth drinking.

LPinSLC

Gang Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bit of a beer snob. Prefer full flavored.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm a weed snob... Top shelf or nothing at all, thank you very much!