• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Are the penguins a favorite to win the Stanley cup now?

DieHardForever397

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here we are in early December 2013, pens are trouncing the sharks 5-1 now and look like an elite Stanley cup contender playing without Geno, and they still look dangerous..what does this tell you that the pens have no weaknesses at all...and are not likely to go on a cold streak? It's funny when a star player goes down how does that team play like 10 times better in that game? Are the penguins the team to beat in the NHL or are their a couple teams ahead of them that might be better? Chicago, St. Louis, Anaheim? Any of those western conference teams has better goaltending than the penguins fluery/zackoff goalie combo?

Last edited by a moderator:

BlueWolfZero

Disruptive troll
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A favourtie yes. The favourite, I am not sure. With all those weapons, they have the guns to get it done again, but it all depends on Fleury and their defense not melting down

IPostedWhat

I'm So High Right Now
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know, I could see the Avs taking a kick at it this Season. I think they have what it takes to beat the competition. Their style of play could choke an opposing teams offense.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
*Sigh*

With the roster they have, they'll always be one of the favorites. Postseason performance will always be the question.

esls79

I am?
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The OP should probably order his replica ring just to be safe.

It's all about teh ringz

Winged_Wheel88

ND 14 UM 45
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With the victory-in-the-bank system in place this year, I don't see how the Penguin AREN'T the windshield to the NHL's bugs.

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is the same question that's asked every year and we see what happens to them come playoff time - just like the Sharks - I guess people haven't learned

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is the same question that's asked every year and we see what happens to them come playoff time - just like the Sharks - I guess people haven't learned

So are we just not counting '09 these days? I realize it's been awhile, but let's not disregard that a large amount of the team was on that roster. The core was at least. Sid, Geno, MAF, Letang, Kunitz, Dupuis, Orpik, Scuds (first time), Adams. That's a decent amount still. Four of the past five postseasons haven't been good in any way, but I still count '09 as a success...and a recent one. I'm certainly not out flaunting it, because well...there are expiration dates on that, but it DID happen.

juliansteed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

There are 30 teams in the league, only 1 can win the Stanley Cup. The Penguins won it relatively recently with most of the key players not only still on the team but closer to their prime. I don't think anyone expects them to win it every year but they are always contenders. Until last season, no team won the Cup more than once since the lockout. However the vast majority of the league hasn't won it at all in that time, and many have never won it. My point is that I wouldn't read too much into what teams have done in the playoffs in the past.

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So are we just not counting '09 these days? I realize it's been awhile, but let's not disregard that a large amount of the team was on that roster. The core was at least. Sid, Geno, MAF, Letang, Kunitz, Dupuis, Orpik, Scuds (first time), Adams. That's a decent amount still. Four of the past five postseasons haven't been good in any way, but I still count '09 as a success...and a recent one. I'm certainly not out flaunting it, because well...there are expiration dates on that, but it DID happen.

They've only won 3 out of their last 7 playoff series and are 20-21 in those 41 playoff games - in all four series that they've lost since winning the cup, they were upset(8th seed, 5th seed, 5th seed and 4th seed respectively from 2010 to 2013) and were eliminated twice in the first round in that time frame - the two series they won in last season's playoffs in the shortened season, they feasted on Islanders and Sens teams that were not even close to being on their level and then they got beat heavily by a team that is actually decent - this team has done nothing of substance since winning the cup - four seasons of failure the way they've lost since winning the Cup shouldn't make them the favorites until they prove something - there are teams that are more built for the playoffs than the Penguins and until they prove it in the playoffs, I'm not wasting my time proclaiming them the favorites, at any point in the season - no disrespect, just the way I feel about it

ChicagoIrish

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Chicago is the front runner, until proven otherwise.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They've only won 3 out of their last 7 playoff series and are 20-21 in those 41 playoff games - in all four series that they've lost since winning the cup, they were upset(8th seed, 5th seed, 5th seed and 4th seed respectively from 2010 to 2013) and were eliminated twice in the first round in that time frame - the two series they won in last season's playoffs in the shortened season, they feasted on Islanders and Sens teams that were not even close to being on their level and then they got beat heavily by a team that is actually decent - this team has done nothing of substance since winning the cup - four seasons of failure the way they've lost since winning the Cup shouldn't make them the favorites until they prove something - there are teams that are more built for the playoffs than the Penguins and until they prove it in the playoffs, I'm not wasting my time proclaiming them the favorites, at any point in the season - no disrespect, just the way I feel about it

My beef was you comparing them to a team who has had essentially no playoff successes. I don't blame anyone for not calling them favorites...I'm not dumb, so I don't label them as such right now either. Frankly I don't like calling favorites at this point in the year regardless. Trust me I recall their failures (I don't count 2011 though), but the only team who can claim more success than the Pens in the past five years is Chicago.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There are 30 teams in the league, only 1 can win the Stanley Cup. The Penguins won it relatively recently with most of the key players not only still on the team but closer to their prime. I don't think anyone expects them to win it every year but they are always contenders. Until last season, no team won the Cup more than once since the lockout. However the vast majority of the league hasn't won it at all in that time, and many have never won it. My point is that I wouldn't read too much into what teams have done in the playoffs in the past.

One of my least favorite things in the world of stats is when they bring up someones stats versus a particular team, or one teams history versus another. From year to year there's just too many factors. The playoffs in most sports are unpredictable, but I'd say the NHLs are the most ridiculous. This year was the first year the "obvious" team won in a little while. Meanwhile, the "obvious" team has won in the NBA pretty much every year ever, the parity in the MLB is lacking/albeit growing, etc. etc.

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My beef was you comparing them to a team who has had essentially no playoff successes. I don't blame anyone for not calling them favorites...I'm not dumb, so I don't label them as such right now either. Frankly I don't like calling favorites at this point in the year regardless. Trust me I recall their failures (I don't count 2011 though), but the only team who can claim more success than the Pens in the past five years is Chicago.

Okay I'm fine with that beef, but you get my point that people have been proclaiming the Sharks as true contenders for the last 3-5 years and they get bounced every year

And I would argue that Boston has had more success than Pittsburgh, since winning the cup - heck, even the Flyers have had more success than the Penguins since that 09 cup(Flyers got to a cup Finals and were the only team in the entire NHL from the 2010 playoffs to the 2012 playoffs to have reached the 2nd round of the playoffs all three years) - also, the Kings have have really been making a strong case too as they've made the playoffs each of the last four seasons and had that great cup run and then a strong playoff showing again this past playoffs

In terms of success the last four seasons(09-10 to 12-13), I would rate as the following:
1) Blackhawks(Two cups in last four seasons)
2) Bruins(One cup win, two cup appearances in last four seasons)
3) Kings(One cup win, 25 playoff wins in last two seasons[most in NHL], four consecutive playoff appearances)
4) Flyers(One cup appearance, reached the second round three consecutive playoffs from 2010-2012[only team to do so in NHL])
5) Penguins(reached ECF in 2013, home ice advantage in every series they've played the last four playoffs)

Very few other teams have had really good four year stretches than those five teams

juliansteed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Okay I'm fine with that beef, but you get my point that people have been proclaiming the Sharks as true contenders for the last 3-5 years and they get bounced every year

And I would argue that Boston has had more success than Pittsburgh, since winning the cup - heck, even the Flyers have had more success than the Penguins since that 09 cup(Flyers got to a cup Finals and were the only team in the entire NHL from the 2010 playoffs to the 2012 playoffs to have reached the 2nd round of the playoffs all three years) - also, the Kings have have really been making a strong case too as they've made the playoffs each of the last four seasons and had that great cup run and then a strong playoff showing again this past playoffs

In terms of success the last four seasons(09-10 to 12-13), I would rate as the following:
1) Blackhawks(Two cups in last four seasons)
2) Bruins(One cup win, two cup appearances in last four seasons)
3) Kings(One cup win, 25 playoff wins in last two seasons[most in NHL], four consecutive playoff appearances)
4) Flyers(One cup appearance, reached the second round three consecutive playoffs from 2010-2012[only team to do so in NHL])
5) Penguins(reached ECF in 2013, home ice advantage in every series they've played the last four playoffs)

Very few other teams have had really good four year stretches than those five teams

Last 5 years would include 2009 when Pittsburgh won a Cup so I wouldn't put the Flyers above them. I can buy the Bruins for sure and the Kings as well.

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With the victory-in-the-bank system in place this year, I don't see how the Penguin AREN'T the windshield to the NHL's bugs.

Did the Penguins use that last year or do they have two VITBs to use this year?

Also I heard something abouit Penalty In The Pocket (PITP) but I don't know all the rules for that. I'm not a cbaologist.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They 'll always be the Doobster's favorite,

Tik tik boom :suds: