• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Are/Should the Pistons Trying for #7?

logic

Hoopla Cash
$ 69,974.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Pistons currently sit in the #6 playoff spot in the east. There is no delusion they are winning it all, the east, or even the second round.

But they recently beat the Raptors for the 3 game season sweep. The Raptors currently sit in the #2 position and are likely to finish there. If the Pistons throw the right number of games they could let the Nets slide into #6 and finish above Miami at the #8 setting up a first round series with the Raptors.

This would be the ideal match up for the Pistons as at #6 they meet Philly in the first round where Embiid own Drummond at at #8 they would get the Bucks who they simply can not compete with.

They decided to "rest" Blake against the Cavaliers and lost last night which smells to me like throwing the game, which is absolutely what they should do if they are playing the playoff positioning game. So, do you think they are playing for position? Do you think they should?

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Trying to get 7th or 8th would require them to likely lose 8 of their final 12.

And doing that would put them in jeopardy of missing out on the playoffs

logic

Hoopla Cash
$ 69,974.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Looking at their schedule it is likely they could lose 8 out of 12 without trying to throw anything. But both the Nets and Heat schedules don't look any easier, but they play each other to close out the season.
I guess a lot also has to do with how much resting of players the teams they play are doing as well.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looking at their schedule it is likely they could lose 8 out of 12 without trying to throw anything. But both the Nets and Heat schedules don't look any easier, but they play each other to close out the season.
I guess a lot also has to do with how much resting of players the teams they play are doing as well.

Heat play better on the road against good teams as we saw last night.

There's too much of a risk.

8 losses would get them to 42 losses.

No guarantee the Nets, Orlando, and Miami all lose more than 42 games.

Too much at risk IMO

Sparhawk

SportsHoopla Ombudsman
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,357.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sound theory.
Depends on if the coach/team believe in karma and how they want to go into the playoffs.

A team should never openly admit they are dodging another team to play a specific team because that's instant message board material for that specific team. Sure, it's the playoffs and you shouldn't need message board material, but some of these guys are superstitious.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That's what I was thinking. Can't say I memorized the standings. I could see doing this if dropping to 7 was not that difficult and enough separation from 8 or out of the playoffs.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Nets schedule is absolutely brutal to end the season. Blazers, Sixers, Bucks twice, Celtics, Toronto and Miami. Of their remaining 10 games 7 of them are against certain playoff teams. Hard to see them winning 5 of their remaining 10.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They need to play the Pacers.

Which isn't looking likely.

So, they're an easy out in round one.

Darth Dawkins

kffl trev
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know the Pistons have been good against the Raps this season but be careful what you wish for. The team playing for Casey and the Raptors players still liking Casey are what likely happened. I don't think the Pistons have any shot against the Raps in a Playoff series. Casey has had his revenge. Who knows? Maybe I'm wrong but I could see the Raps winning a series against Detroit pretty easily. Toronto money would make that basically an all home court series.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sound theory.
Depends on if the coach/team believe in karma and how they want to go into the playoffs.

A team should never openly admit they are dodging another team to play a specific team because that's instant message board material for that specific team. Sure, it's the playoffs and you shouldn't need message board material, but some of these guys are superstitious.

Not a sound theory or a viable one.

They have to figure out how to beat Philly at some point anyway. Doesn't matter if it is the 1st round or the second. Last I checked, they don't award rings for winning a playoff series.

The Raps will await if they can get past Philly. If they can't do that, they never were actually relevant in the East anyway.

logic

Hoopla Cash
$ 69,974.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They need to play the Pacers.

Which isn't looking likely.

So, they're an easy out in round one.
Ain't no way they're matching up with the Pacers round one. They were better against the Raps this year than the Pacers.

Ping pong balls would be a fine option, but not likely to net anything better than a low playoff seed draft pick anyhow.

logic

Hoopla Cash
$ 69,974.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know the Pistons have been good against the Raps this season but be careful what you wish for. The team playing for Casey and the Raptors players still liking Casey are what likely happened. I don't think the Pistons have any shot against the Raps in a Playoff series. Casey has had his revenge. Who knows? Maybe I'm wrong but I could see the Raps winning a series against Detroit pretty easily. Toronto money would make that basically an all home court series.
Oh, I don't think they really have a chance: it is just their best chance of the bad options they have.

logic

Hoopla Cash
$ 69,974.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not a sound theory or a viable one.

They have to figure out how to beat Philly at some point anyway. Doesn't matter if it is the 1st round or the second. Last I checked, they don't award rings for winning a playoff series.

The Raps will await if they can get past Philly. If they can't do that, they never were actually relevant in the East anyway.
I believe I said in the original post they aren't really going anywhere. I have no delusions of a ring for Detroit. Just, of the possible options, Toronto would be the most favorable since they have zero hope against the Bucks or Sixers.

Doesn't it matter if it is the 1st or second round; aren't there different payouts and gate revenues?

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I believe I said in the original post they aren't really going anywhere. I have no delusions of a ring for Detroit. Just, of the possible options, Toronto would be the most favorable since they have zero hope against the Bucks or Sixers.

Doesn't it matter if it is the 1st or second round; aren't there different payouts and gate revenues?

Your logic makes sense. Of the possible teams the Pistons could face I would probably rate their best chances as being the following..

1. Pacers
2. Raptors
3. Celtics
4. Sixers
5. Bucks

The Pistons aren't likely to win a round against any of those teams but certainly their chances are better against the Pacers/Raptors than the Sixers/Bucks.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ain't no way they're matching up with the Pacers round one. They were better against the Raps this year than the Pacers.

Ping pong balls would be a fine option, but not likely to net anything better than a low playoff seed draft pick anyhow.
None of it really matters.

This current group will never contend in a real way.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I realize that.

But in the grand scheme it doesn't matter enough to tank for it. That will do more harm than good.

Stakesarehigh

One day it will all make sense
Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

:hellno::hellno:

The arrogance here is laughable. Remind me what Toronto has ever won?

Detroit backs a winner. Which is why they were routinely in the top 5 in attendance for years. The Tigers and Pistons can't put some bullshit out there and expect fans to pack it out.