• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Are new/good clubs really worth the expense?

Cobrabit

Resident Polymath
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,041.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I did pick up a putter a couple months back that feels so much better than the basic one that came with the set. It was less than $20 and rolled just as well as some of the $150+ ones there. I've already picked up a handful of strokes with only one three putt in my last half dozen rounds.

If I do look to upgrade, I will pay to get fitted properly since I doubt I could convince the wife I'd need another set for a couple more decades.

Jack_John_Mark

¿Cómo está usted?
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tonight for me was a good example for why having the right clubs makes a difference.

I have a Titleist 983K driver that is about 12 years old and I have just always hit it well. This year, however, my friend sold me an R11 Taylormade for $20. So I felt all summer I needed to hit it because it's newer and because I paid for it so why not. I hit it like shit all summer though.

Tonight I pulled out the old 983K again and drove 2 par 4's and came up 10 yards short on a 372 yarder. And because I was hitting it straight, shot a 33. Big difference. I will be selling the R11 now. I already have the perfect fit for me.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tonight for me was a good example for why having the right clubs makes a difference.

I have a Titleist 983K driver that is about 12 years old and I have just always hit it well. This year, however, my friend sold me an R11 Taylormade for $20. So I felt all summer I needed to hit it because it's newer and because I paid for it so why not. I hit it like shit all summer though.

Tonight I pulled out the old 983K again and drove 2 par 4's and came up 10 yards short on a 372 yarder. And because I was hitting it straight, shot a 33. Big difference. I will be selling the R11 now. I already have the perfect fit for me.

The correct driver/shaft fit makes maybe more difference on the scorecard than irons if it means keeping your tee ball in play.

I had the CLE Hibore (3rd gen I think)...engineered for a high ball...I hit it well, but too high and the draw bias head caused me to go left...I switched last year to the Titleist 913 and got them to do a shaft fitting.

The Titleist is a lot more consistent driver.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You re-grip yer own? I learned how to re-grip mine myself, and I enjoy the hell outta doing it.

I mostly play with a set of 61 Hogan irons, with the steel shafts. They had that old cushion grip with the leather covers, which i stripped off and put lambkins on. Probably ruined them as collector's items but I'm never going to sell them anyway. They seem to work well for me. My distances are about 20 yards lower than new clubs, partly because the lofts are different now and partly because I'm just not that good. No sweat, I just take more club than my playing partners.

When I first started playing, I used actual wooden woods: MacGregor 1, 3, 4 & 5, which I also re-gripped. I eventually upgraded to some newer drivers, but I still keep that MacGregor 4 in my bag. I just love that club...there's nothing like the feeling when you hit one on the actual screws, and it feels so good hitting off the deck.
Yes I do re-grip my clubs myself.

SJ76

I'll slap you with my member
Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Go get 2-3 year old AP2s by Titleist and make sure the sweet spot is
Still in Good shape.

No need to by brand new if u are a weekend golfer. These irons will be $300-400

Cobrabit

Resident Polymath
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,041.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Woohoo, just broke 80 for the first time in years (41 out and 38 in). Iron play and putted well. Still a little inconsistent with the driver (both left and right about a third of the time each), but by god, let me hit the 3W off the fairway and I'm crushing it 225+ dead straight to leave me a pitch on the par 5s.

Sadly, I'll be taking about 3 weeks off since I'll be running a two week 'camp' for my incoming students. Hoping it won't throw me off too much.

Cobrabit

Resident Polymath
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,041.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Wifey and I are elebrating our 5 year anniversary this weekend a few days early and we both decided what the hell, new clubs for me and a new ring for her. Ended up going to Dicks sporting goods and getting fitted for free if I purchased. Ordered a set of Rocketblades with stiff flex shafts, a SDLR driver (10 degree but will adjust lower to around 9) and 5 fairway wood. Will need to have the woods cut down a half inch when they arrive. Also picked up a new bag, a TM ATV 56* wedge and the wife got new a new shirt and wind/rain jacket.

All for at $1k.

She also got an anniversary ring for 35%more. You win some and you lose some, oh well :)

Jack_John_Mark

¿Cómo está usted?
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Wifey and I are elebrating our 5 year anniversary this weekend a few days early and we both decided what the hell, new clubs for me and a new ring for her. Ended up going to Dicks sporting goods and getting fitted for free if I purchased. Ordered a set of Rocketblades with stiff flex shafts, a SDLR driver (10 degree but will adjust lower to around 9) and 5 fairway wood. Will need to have the woods cut down a half inch when they arrive. Also picked up a new bag, a TM ATV 56* wedge and the wife got new a new shirt and wind/rain jacket.

All for at $1k.

She also got an anniversary ring for 35%more. You win some and you lose some, oh well :)

Nice! Those are some good irons. I will bet you almost anything you're going to love the hell out of them.

I envy you for being able to afford going and getting a brand new set. I got my last set while in College and I knew I wanted the thinnest clubs I could get, but didn't have money. Got lucky and found a guy selling his Mizuno Blades on eBay for $250 because he hated them.

I've got a load of student loan debt, but when we knock it out I'm doing like you and getting fitted. Can't wait for it. Enjoy those clubs.

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At a 13+ if you plan to play a couple times a week, go for it. But if you're only going to play a couple of times a month it's a waste of money, imo, and Broncos idea of swapping out the long/mid irons for some hybrids would be a good idea. Disagree with JJM about GI clubs stunting potential improvement unless your goal is to really work on your game and play a lot.

edit - just noticed you already pulled the trigger on the new sticks. Enjoy.

Cobrabit

Resident Polymath
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,041.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I went ahead and pulled the trigger to get some playing time before the end of the year. I figure I should be able to get out 3-4 times a month at least and maybe 2-3 a week taking an afternoon off with the course actually on my way home. I don't foresee myself getting another set for 10-15 years which would put me close to 50 and at that point I may need to go back down from stiff to regular flex shafts anyway.

With the simulator at the fitting, it was showing a 260+ yard carry with the demo drivers which was already outdistancing my current driver by 20 yards. I know I'm going to need to practice quite a bit the next few months to get a handle on the new set and adjusting my distances, especially with the adjustability of the SLDR driver and 5W. If I can get my drives more consistent, I know I can drop several bogeys down to pars.

Jack_John_Mark

¿Cómo está usted?
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At a 13+ if you plan to play a couple times a week, go for it. But if you're only going to play a couple of times a month it's a waste of money, imo, and Broncos idea of swapping out the long/mid irons for some hybrids would be a good idea. Disagree with JJM about GI clubs stunting potential improvement unless your goal is to really work on your game and play a lot.

edit - just noticed you already pulled the trigger on the new sticks. Enjoy.

Who in the hell doesn't play golf every day?

:dance:

Cobrabit

Resident Polymath
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,041.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wish I could play daily, but with the 2.5 and 0.5 year olds at home, I feel bad leaving them with the wife to go play. So I really only get a chance by taking an afternoon off during the week while they're at daycare or on the weekends if she takes them to the in laws without me.

However, she also mentioned that I could play during our Disney World vacation the week prior to Christmas, so I'm definitely checking out the courses tonight. If you've played a course near WDW and recommend one, let me know. Granted, she won't be alone with them while I'm playing since we're also inviting her sister to come with us for the week since it wasn't that much more to add her. Plus it doesn't hurt that she did the Disney college internship and knows of some cool things to do.

As for the new clubs, I'm really excited to get them in and play a round. While there may be some placebo effect going on, I'll at least know that its my swing that is the cause of missed shots once I get used to the change. I'll also need to erase my tracked distances for my current clubs from my swing by swing app and start again once they come in. May even look to a laser range finder to get a little more accuracy versus the app (the wife's ring was several hundred mor than my clubs, so I have room to make up the difference, haha).

I do plan to donate my current set to the local high school golf team if they'd want them. Either to give to a student that can't afford their own set and would like to try out, or to use as a practice set for those that may have forgotten their clubs that day.

gohusk

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just got the TaylorMade tour preferred's and I'm not switching until I'm an old geezer that needs graphite shafts for everything. Got a 52 and 58 wedge as well (400 bucks total for those two clubs) and they're money. All I have to do is think about where I want to land them on short shots and they're usually 6 inches to a foot on my pitch and chip shots. But if you're clubs feel right then why bother switching?

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just got the TaylorMade tour preferred's and I'm not switching until I'm an old geezer that needs graphite shafts for everything. Got a 52 and 58 wedge as well (400 bucks total for those two clubs) and they're money. All I have to do is think about where I want to land them on short shots and they're usually 6 inches to a foot on my pitch and chip shots. But if you're clubs feel right then why bother switching?

Sweet clubs...I carry 4 wedges...pw, gap (52) from the TM Bladz Tour set...56,60 are forged CLE...the wedges from the set are more consistent distance wise from shot to shot...the forged feel great on solid shots, but they tell you when you mishit it.

gohusk

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sweet clubs...I carry 4 wedges...pw, gap (52) from the TM Bladz Tour set...56,60 are forged CLE...the wedges from the set are more consistent distance wise from shot to shot...the forged feel great on solid shots, but they tell you when you mishit it.

I had a cleveland and I liked it but I was playing the Calaway's and the shafts just didn't feel the same. Nothing wrong with the club, they were just different. Then I went with the tour preferred for my irons and kept a couple of my calaway wedges (which were great, don't get me wrong) but got both of the wedges swiped. I went into the shop and didn't want to spend more than 100 buck a wedge. So I tried the lower end one and it was all right. Then I tried one of these

TaylorMade R Series EF Wedge - Discount Golf Wedges - Hurricane Golf

and the flippin thing just felt perfect. It was way above my budget but there wasn't any point of buying a different one because that was the one I obviously needed (I didn't get the 56, I got a 52 and then bought a 58). And it isn't so much the head but the shaft that's key for me. Just felt perfect. I'm not a guy who thinks that you're going to buy yourself a golf game, but you do need to spend if you want quality. I'm a much better skier than I am a golfer and I learned that principle a long time ago. But I'm hooked on TaylorMade now. I used to be a Callaway guy (and they do make great equipment) but TM just fits my game right now.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I had a cleveland and I liked it but I was playing the Calaway's and the shafts just didn't feel the same. Nothing wrong with the club, they were just different. Then I went with the tour preferred for my irons and kept a couple of my calaway wedges (which were great, don't get me wrong) but got both of the wedges swiped. I went into the shop and didn't want to spend more than 100 buck a wedge. So I tried the lower end one and it was all right. Then I tried one of these

TaylorMade R Series EF Wedge - Discount Golf Wedges - Hurricane Golf

and the flippin thing just felt perfect. It was way above my budget but there wasn't any point of buying a different one because that was the one I obviously needed (I didn't get the 56, I got a 52 and then bought a 58). And it isn't so much the head but the shaft that's key for me. Just felt perfect. I'm not a guy who thinks that you're going to buy yourself a golf game, but you do need to spend if you want quality. I'm a much better skier than I am a golfer and I learned that principle a long time ago. But I'm hooked on TaylorMade now. I used to be a Callaway guy (and they do make great equipment) but TM just fits my game right now.

That wedge looks very nice...no, you can't buy a game with clubs...solid technique and practice. If you have a decent repeatable swing...a newer, fitted club will help a little, but nothing can help a flawed swing.

I demoed about 6 iron sets...Callaway, TM, and CLE made the final cut and to be honest...price was the deciding factor...The Callaway iron was slightly longer, higher, TM was better on mishits, a little easier to move left to right...plus TM was transitioning to the '14 iron and the current one dropped from $800 to a little over $500.

The 2 hybrid is the one club in the bag I'm not sure I want to keep it's an old Ken Wishon...the 4h I love, the 2h not as much...I want a Titleist 915 3H, but have not made any gestures towards buying it.

gohusk

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That wedge looks very nice...no, you can't buy a game with clubs...solid technique and practice. If you have a decent repeatable swing...a newer, fitted club will help a little, but nothing can help a flawed swing.

I demoed about 6 iron sets...Callaway, TM, and CLE made the final cut and to be honest...price was the deciding factor...The Callaway iron was slightly longer, higher, TM was better on mishits, a little easier to move left to right...plus TM was transitioning to the '14 iron and the current one dropped from $800 to a little over $500.

The 2 hybrid is the one club in the bag I'm not sure I want to keep it's an old Ken Wishon...the 4h I love, the 2h not as much...I want a Titleist 915 3H, but have not made any gestures towards buying it.

I play the Callaway X2's for my woods and those things are awesome. I had the fairway wood dialed in to where I didn't even need to take a practice swing anymore. I'd just get on the ball, wind up and smack the living shit out of it which is around 230-240 when I'm feeling loose (I go about 100-105 on my swing when I got it dialed in). But everything's gone to shit right now and I'm heeling everything. I did this stupid lag drill I got off the internet and it worked for my irons fine but completely fucked up that swing to the point where I just can't fix it myself.Just casting it and at this point and either the ball's way right on square contact or heeling the living crap out of it when it does go straight. I almost walked off the course a couple of days ago because it was so bad. And I'm having that Tiger Woods ass problem on top of it (I could really relate to what he said because that's what happens to me when my game goes south). I'm taking a couple of weeks off and then go to the local pro I work with to get things straightened out. The game was fine but I made the stupid mistake of looking at something on the computer and trying it without having someone that really knows what they're talking about watching me at the same time.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I play the Callaway X2's for my woods and those things are awesome. I had the fairway wood dialed in to where I didn't even need to take a practice swing anymore. I'd just get on the ball, wind up and smack the living shit out of it which is around 230-240 when I'm feeling loose (I go about 100-105 on my swing when I got it dialed in). But everything's gone to shit right now and I'm heeling everything. I did this stupid lag drill I got off the internet and it worked for my irons fine but completely fucked up that swing to the point where I just can't fix it myself.Just casting it and at this point and either the ball's way right on square contact or heeling the living crap out of it when it does go straight. I almost walked off the course a couple of days ago because it was so bad. And I'm having that Tiger Woods ass problem on top of it (I could really relate to what he said because that's what happens to me when my game goes south). I'm taking a couple of weeks off and then go to the local pro I work with to get things straightened out. The game was fine but I made the stupid mistake of looking at something on the computer and trying it without having someone that really knows what they're talking about watching me at the same time.

Swing...been there...right now I'm in this phase of seeing mostly curving shots...trying to work the ball too much chasing birdies, and I'm not that good. With shorter clubs I used to take dead aim....I need to get back to my stock iron flight and aim at the middle of the green.

I've been playing in some stupid money games the last 4 weeks...16 man skins game, and all birdies pay...I say stupid b/c that kind of throws your game off because unless you have a stroke game going too. Par means very little...takes a birdie to win a skin with these guys. I got lucky a few weeks ago and won 5 skins on a slow skin day...each skin was worth like $38 and 3 birdies won those skins and birdies were paying $20.

Since I've been chasing birdies, I've had a 9, an 8...too many blow up holes. Doesn't hurt you in their game, but the scorecard takes some dings.

Cobrabit

Resident Polymath
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,041.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First round with the clubs today and shot another sub 80 at 77. It's going to take a little while to get adjusted to the driver, but when I hit it clean and tracked via my gps app, I average 286 which is a significant increase. Hell, the 5W I was hitting off the deck averaged 253. Granted, I've always been able to crush a fairway wood and these were all straight. Reached 2 of the par 5s in 2, but couldnt manage an eagle. The 5W is an extra stiff flex with the driver being stiff. I'll head to the range one day to see if I can dial it in, but may consider the XS if I keep hitting the fairway the way I was.

Came away with 7 GIRs which is 2-3 more than average, do my iron game was working well. Again, will need to dial in the distances and picked up about 15 yards a club.

I like the ATV 56* wedge, but same story with it and the PW and AW as the irons. Need to dial in distances and practice.

Overall, I'm extremely pleased with the round and look forward to working on my game the next couple months. Maybe another round at my home course and then start playing the others in the area to see how I do there. There are a few clubs that didn't make it out of the bag today.