• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Arbitration

oxnardkingsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just looked the deadlines for filing up and found out that it's 2:00 pm Pacific Time tomorrow (5 July) for players and 2:00 pm Pacific Time for the teams. Anybody have any thoughts about whether King will ask for arbitration? Looks to me like he has a pretty good case. 15 goals should get him more than his MQO.

Ox

oxnardkingsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just found the complete list of Arbitration dates on tsn.ca. Looks like the process starts Monday with Sobotka of St Louis and Cody Franson of Toronto but I'm not sure Sobotka will bother showing up since he signed with the KHL recently. Dwight King is scheduled for August 1.

Ox

oxnardkingsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thought I'd resurrect this thread to ask who everyone thinks will be the 2nd arbitration case. So far only one arbitration hearing has been held. Sobatka and that was after he had signed to play in the KHL. Only have 3 players left who haven't signed new deals prior to their hearing. There's one on Thursday (Spaling with Pittsburgh) and then Subban and King left for Friday.

Ox

CaptHowdy00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just got the text that Kings has signed for 3 years.

pete6835

Buuuuuurp!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
$208,106 left to spend against our cap! ! ! !

oxnardkingsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks like there won't be any bit Trade Deadline acquisitions this year. They'll pretty much have to move salary if they want to do any kind of deal.

Ox

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks like there won't be any bit Trade Deadline acquisitions this year. They'll pretty much have to move salary if they want to do any kind of deal.

Ox

Not necessarily - the way the cap works is that the closer you get to the end of the season, the more space opens up (in certain ways).

You're not going to get some major amount but that is why teams tend to trade later during the season when Team A has paid/absorbed most of the player's salary and Team B picks up the rest. Now with the sharing back, this allows more player movement than in the past under the cap system.

Case in point is Gaborik, his cap hit for LA after he came over from Columbus was a whopping $770,000 or so because a) the BJs agreed to pay half his remaining $3.5 million and b) most of his $7.5 million had already been paid and absorbed by Columbus from October until March. The Kings will not have a ton of room to play with at the deadline because they are close to being capped out but this won't restrict them from making moves as necessary.

To land a big fish however, you are correct, they will need to move someone with salary if it's a significant acquisition.

pete6835

Buuuuuurp!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do we really need a "big fish" at this point???

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do we really need a "big fish" at this point???

I don''t think so but with Regehr/Stoll/Williams/Martinez coming off the books next summer as GIII UFAs (barring extensions) and Clifford/Nolan/Pearson/Toffoli/Muffin/Jones as RFAs there will be lots of evaluations going on this season and you never know what will happen/needs to happen.

Regehr is as good as gone IMO, so a veteran, T4 defender will most likely be sought after and those guys are bucks - $3-$4+ million per season. I haven't checked, but if there is one available next summer as a RFA or perhaps UFA, Dumbo may look to get him before he hits the market. If some premier player (like Ryan O'Reilly anyone?) is deemed available you need to position yourself to make that move if necessary.

Of the UFAs I think Regehr is gone, Martinez will probably sign an extension either before the season starts or after Jan 1 and Williams and Stoll will take smaller, cap friendly deals (this is all under the assumption they perform well, are still part of the plan and as players want to stay in LA). Of the RFAs, I think Nolan is gone via trade maybe at the deadline or draft and the remainder need to be signed.

Cap management is huge this season, especially with so many new contracts necessary for 2015-16 even if the cap goes up.

Deader2818

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If McNabb is ready we might not even need to replace Regehr.

oxnardkingsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well Subban and the Canadiens actually went into arbitration today. What's everybody's thoughts on who wins in this? I've got a hunch the arbitrator will award something between the $8.5M he's asking for and the $5.25M the team is offering. Most likely something near what Doughty is getting. He does have the Norris award going for him even if it was in the short season.

Ox

pete6835

Buuuuuurp!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"If some premier player (like Ryan O'Reilly anyone?) is deemed available you need to position yourself to make that move if necessary"

Didn't he just sign with the Av's for $6 mil a year? Waaaaay too much for him at his age and numbers.

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"If some premier player (like Ryan O'Reilly anyone?) is deemed available you need to position yourself to make that move if necessary"

Didn't he just sign with the Av's for $6 mil a year? Waaaaay too much for him at his age and numbers.

That was just an example, if there is a player of his magnitude available and the Kings have their eye on such player they need to manage the cap.

He's a solid two-way player, but I think closer to a $5 million/season player. The problem was he signed the Offer Sheet with Calgary, 2 years/$10 million but the first year was $3.5 million and the second year $6.5 million and he would be an RFA at the end of year two (now).

In the CBA, the MQO has to be the amount on the last year of the contract, so right off the bat O'Reilly's MQO was known to be $6.5 million to retain his rights at the end of this season when the Avalanche matched it. His new deal is 2 years/$12 million, $5.8 million and then $6.2 million.

The bigger issue is he will be a GIII UFA at the end of this deal at only age 25 so this saga is far from over and the two already have a contentious relationship.

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well Subban and the Canadiens actually went into arbitration today. What's everybody's thoughts on who wins in this? I've got a hunch the arbitrator will award something between the $8.5M he's asking for and the $5.25M the team is offering. Most likely something near what Doughty is getting. He does have the Norris award going for him even if it was in the short season.

Ox

I think he will be given about $7.25 million based on that Norris win and looking at comps around the league like Doughty, Weber and Pietrangelo - younger guys in his peer group.

Personally, I think he is talented but not a game changer like Doughty or Weber but he will get paid because he is a offensive defender more than a complete defender.

oxnardkingsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think he will be given about $7.25 million based on that Norris win and looking at comps around the league like Doughty, Weber and Pietrangelo - younger guys in his peer group.

Personally, I think he is talented but not a game changer like Doughty or Weber but he will get paid because he is a offensive defender more than a complete defender.

Personally I think he's overrated. Good for him if he gets close to what he wants but he isn't that good defensively and too much of a showboat for my liking.

Ox

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Personally I think he's overrated. Good for him if he gets close to what he wants but he isn't that good defensively and too much of a showboat for my liking.

Ox

That's exactly where I am at, he seems like a guy who doesn't respect the game or the position he has been put in. You can do spinoramas and score goals? Impressive.

Lead your team to some sort of success, which he has failed to do so far in his career.

pete6835

Buuuuuurp!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm guessing 6 mil for Subban, but that means just a 1 year contract. What happens next year. Someone feelings are going to be hurt.

CaptHowdy00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm guessing 6 mil for Subban, but that means just a 1 year contract. What happens next year. Someone feelings are going to be hurt.

I don't see him coming back to the Habs. During the hearing, the team rakes the player over the coals as a part of their case. They point out the flaws in his game. From everything that I read about him, he is a premadonna and is going to be butthurt about what is being said.