• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

AR build suggestions

Team Mookie

You won't live forever
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thought it my be interesting to have a thread on this topic.

Over the last couple of months my friend has been (bugging me) trying to get me to build/buy an AR. Throughout this time I have been hesitant as I haven't felt like I would have a "continual" serious use for this rifle. After spending some time researching it and seeing its current evolution from the weapon system that I remember from my time in the Army, I was now interested and have multiply uses from predator and deer hunting to sport shooting.

With the decision of whether I should own an AR decided, I now had to make the choice of buying or building. Buying would be much easier and certainly less of a hassle, maybe cheaper too.. but it wasn't in my nature to do so as I'm a tinker and enjoy wasting time building things. It also helps that I have many tools and was a unit armorer while in the service.

So last week my buddy calls me up and says they have mil-spec lower's for $54.00 plus tax ($59.00 out the door). I thought this was a great deal so I went down and bought one.

At this point I'm looking for any suggestions on builds, parts kits and problems that I may run into while building the rifle.

For my build I would like to stick with a 16 in barrel.

image.php

Not mine but just like it.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Well-Known, and Feared, Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I built mine and it was tons of fun. In addition, as you mentioned, it leaves you with the tools necessary to tinker with the rifle later on down the road.

For the lower, most everything is relatively easy/cheap to put on, take off and replace. I just went with the standard lower parts kit, but for hunting you might want to install a lighter trigger system; plus, some of the drop in units are much easier to install. I put a mil-spec buffer tube assembly on, as it's only about $10 more than the commercial tubes.

The upper is where you have a little more to think about. The biggest question iMO is whether or not you want to stick with the standard .223/5.56 or if you want to go with something like a 6.8mm or 300blk -- these would be more ideal for hunting larger game, like deer. If you're just going with a varmint rifle or you're just using it mostly for sport, than the .223/5.56 would be better, and cheaper.

If it were me, and I were using it for some sort of hunting/varmint, than I'd build an 18'' barrel with a free float rail. Something similar to this in either 6.8 or .223:
Daniel Defense A11 v680 Carbine Midlength, 6.8mm SPC 18" S2W Barrel, 5 Round - Impact Guns
dandef_AF-00125.jpg

You could also buy multiple uppers for the 1 lower depending on the use. .223 16'' cheapo for fun at the range, 6.8mm 18'' mid-range upper for hunting.

Last edited by a moderator:

MAIZEandBLUE09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anyhow, I just went with a pre-built upper from PSA and I'm really happy with it.

Caynine29

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you're using it for hunting... why not .50 Beowulf? (Hunting trucks, that is ;) )

beowulfuppertosell30032.jpg

MAIZEandBLUE09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you're using it for hunting... why not .50 Beowulf? (Hunting trucks, that is ;) )

beowulfuppertosell30032.jpg

Well, for one thing, it's almost impossible to find that ammo/uppers anywhere. And if you did find a good hunting load, it would probably be around $50 for a box of 20. Not exactly a good choice for any semi-auto rifle.

Caynine29

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, for one thing, it's almost impossible to find that ammo/uppers anywhere. And if you did find a good hunting load, it would probably be around $50 for a box of 20. Not exactly a good choice for any semi-auto rifle.

Well, I was suggesting sort of tongue-in-cheek. Hence the "hunting trucks" comment. Lol. .50 Beowulf is a niche caliber, to be sure. I sure as hell want one, though. If not only for the sheer novelty of it. :)

Team Mookie

You won't live forever
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks for all the great information. I'm going to roll with a 223cal at this time and just stick to Predator hunting. Believe it will make a great coyote rig once I'm finished.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mangler

Dis-member
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Built one recently, a 300AAC Blackout, have a suppressor in the works at the ATF. I used a CMMG upper that cost a fortune, and took 5 months to arrive. When I put it on the receiver, and chambered a empty case, the case extracted with 2 deep gouges in the brass. There were burrs left in the chamber, I returned the upper, and they claimed they polished the chamber and feed ramps, but nothing was touched on the gun. I called them and the head service technician told me there was nothing wrong with the gun,i could return it again at my expense, but he would bill me for "wasting his time". I had a local gunsmith ( who has build a couple of guns for me) polish the chamber, he removed 2 burs and polished the feed ramps. I send CMMG the bill and have not heard from them.

DO NOT buy parts/ uppers from CMMG, they have high prices and very poor customer service

I was also informed that firing handloads in their product voids their warranty