• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

AP: There are Too Many White Guys in the NHL

chappee11

Esteemed Colleague
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is a good one:

The report released Tuesday found that 83.6% of the NHL’s workforce is white and that men make up nearly 62% of the total, based on the 4,200 people who participated in a voluntary and anonymous survey (about 67% of all employees).

That nearly mirrors the situation on the ice, where more than 90% of players and nearly all coaches and officials are white.

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm just throwing this out there, dont judge until you think about it.

For teams that have goalie issues; why dont they just throw a big fat guy, I mean a big fat white guy in goalie gear and send him out. Think of how much of the goal the guy would white out.

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm just throwing this out there, dont judge until you think about it.

For teams that have goalie issues; why dont they just throw a big fat guy, I mean a big fat white guy in goalie gear and send him out. Think of how much of the goal the guy would white out.

I am available

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The NHL is mostly white? Well this is a big bombshell.

What's the next big news to be announced, that nascar is all white?
FIFY....with Bubba Wallace suspended. :D

Debbie Does

Question Authority
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I’m 75 years old and have watched and played hockey since i was a teenager, street hockey, college hockey, industrial league hockey and just good old Tuesday Night Hockey with a bunch of guys. In my experience, almost all in New England, everyone i played with was almost all white guys. Being mostly a local social hockey player, I’ve played more with women than blacks or Asians,

With an almost exclusively white male group of players to pick from, where are hockey teams supposed to find non-white players for the NHL?

rjshull

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I’m 75 years old and have watched and played hockey since i was a teenager, street hockey, college hockey, industrial league hockey and just good old Tuesday Night Hockey with a bunch of guys. In my experience, almost all in New England, everyone i played with was almost all white guys. Being mostly a local social hockey player, I’ve played more with women than blacks or Asians,

With an almost exclusively white male group of players to pick from, where are hockey teams supposed to find non-white players for the NHL?
And take that same question to the next step, without POC playing the game as a youth, how exactly do you think you are going to get refs, coaches, office staff, etc. that are qualified for those positions? This is not an issue of race, this is an economic issue. Unless you are well off you are not letting your kids play hockey at thousands of dollars a season, when football/basketball/baseball is relatively free. Just look at the cost of skates alone, my daughter is a figure skater, and we spend $3000-$4000 a year on skates. Now add in coaches, ice time, extreme amount of travel and ice sports are extremely expensive. Hockey is the exact same issue

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The survey was about workforce. That means office staff, scouts, etc. Getting more minority players playing hockey at a grassroots level is a completely different subject than what this study is put together for.

Not that I think the number even considering that is abysmally low or anything - it could always be better but considering how many teams, especially in Canada, are in places that are largely majority white there’s only going to be so much you can do - but this is no different than what most major corporations are doing these days in trying to diversify.

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The NHL is mostly white? Well this is a big bombshell.

What's the next big news to be announced, that nascar is mostly white?

Wait until they study what color most of the ice is….

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Imagine wasting money to even have a position like Kim Davis’s even exist

You could donate to a “get more kids playing hockey” charity and get more far more value out of that money

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's gonna cause real problems.

I look forward to this dumbass coming out and sayin that both the ice and puck should be black....

esls79

I am?
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Zebras are black with white stripes - the study totally neglected to include them I’d imagine.

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
Zebras are black with white stripes - the study totally neglected to include them I’d imagine.

Look to the cookie
jerry seinfeld coffee GIF

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1

Similar out here on BC, but a lot of youth interest from asian and south asian (which is representative of the population).
And south asian fans are among the most hardcore that I know.
you go to Canuck games, and there are a lot of brown folk, most likely to be wearing jerseys.
So it will take a generation for that to filter through from youth, assuming some stick with the sport.
We don't have a ton of black representation out here right now.

funny thing is, when I got back into playing hockey in my early 20's, I was the token white guy on the team (all asian)

case in point - Scott Road (in North Delta, a very brown suburb) has basically taken over as Canucks central on the rare occasion the team does anything good

1666208507223.png