• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Anybody remember this game?

soxfan1468927

Hoopla Cash
$ 7,185.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

tducey

Sports discussion
Hoopla Cash
$ 46,233.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was always early it seemed like back then. Also back then there wasn't as many 2 weeks breaks between the League championships and the Super Bowl.

cowboys5xsbs

Surprise Motherfucker
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Droopdog51

Hoopla Cash
$ 1.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was always early it seemed like back then. Also back then there wasn't as many 2 weeks breaks between the League championships and the Super Bowl.
Yes they did have the two week break between the Conference Championships and the SB. That has been customary since SB I.
upload_2017-1-27_12-58-47.png

“The two-week break before the Super Bowl started with Super Bowl I,” Greg Aiello, an NFL spokesman, told the Guardian. “The concept was to give the promotion of the game time to build. The two-week break has been standard procedure since the first Super Bowl. There have been one-week breaks a handful of times when circumstances dictated it. Another benefit is that it gives the two teams more rest and recovery from injury.”

Be patient, Super Bowl fans: the two-week break is here to stay

PatsFan2003

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
KC went 13-3 that year before losing the rematch to Denver. That was also the year with Grbac and Gannon controversy and pretty much was a huge reason they lost to Denver that year.

Was that another Marty Schottenheimer team? Good coach. Playoff poison.

If I remember the Patriots game correctly, Bledsoe had a broken finger and Scott Zolak played QB.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Was that another Marty Schottenheimer team? Good coach. Playoff poison.
Not going to defend him but his record would've been a lot better in the playoffs if his FG kickers/special teams weren't garbage.

But thats the point. You can't rely on FG kickers and still be great. Unless you're Brady in the first half of his career.

You could also argue that he was just beaten by greatness sometimes. Elway wouldnt have half of the legacy if Schottenheimer was a great coach. The Jerry Sloan of the NFL.

PatsFan2003

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not going to defend him but his record would've been a lot better in the playoffs if his FG kickers/special teams weren't garbage.

But thats the point. You can't rely on FG kickers and still be great. Unless you're Brady in the first half of his career.

You could also argue that he was just beaten by greatness sometimes. Elway wouldnt have half of the legacy if Schottenheimer was a great coach. The Jerry Sloan of the NFL.

He really was a solid coach but just couldn't win playoff games.

MileHigh64

Broncos Fanatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,033.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Probably my all time favorite season as a Denver Broncos fan. Going on the road twice and winning led to our first Super Bowl victory. The Packers were heavy favorites in that game.

Broncos6482

Troll Boy Extraordinaire
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Denver Broncos at Pittsburgh Steelers - January 11th, 1998 | Pro-Football-Reference.com
What's weird about this is how early the AFC championship was. The second week of January doesn't seem right. Also how Denver was such a strong team that year but had to go on the road.
That was the third stop on the Revenge Tour. Jacksonville had knocked Denver out of the playoffs the season before in shocking fashion, and late in the 97 season both Kansas City and Pittsburgh beaten Denver to knock them down to a wild card.

Then the playoffs started. We led Jacksonville 21-0 before they even picked up a first down and went on to win 42-17. Then we went into Kansas City and knocked off the Chiefs 14-10. Finally, we scored two touchdowns late in the first half against Pittsburgh to go up 24-14, then held on for dear life and won 24-21.

Two weeks later, we knocked off the defending champs and won our first Super Bowl, which also ended the AFC's 13 game Super Bowl losing streak.

Broncos6482

Troll Boy Extraordinaire
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
KC went 13-3 that year before losing the rematch to Denver. That was also the year with Grbac and Gannon controversy and pretty much was a huge reason they lost to Denver that year.
KC fans are pretty universally certain that if Marty had stuck with Gannon they would have won that game. I'm not so sure. That Denver team was on a mission that year. I still think they would have found a way to get that win.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
KC fans are pretty universally certain that if Marty had stuck with Gannon they would have won that game. I'm not so sure. That Denver team was on a mission that year. I still think they would have found a way to get that win.
I think people just dont like Grbac and Gannon as a whole was clearly the better QB.

Big thing with Marty was his QBs. I think if you go throughout his entire awful career in the playoffs, he had the better QB of the two teams....like once? Twice? I might be too young for this conversation but Marty's special teams always let him down but a big part of the lore in the NFL is QB play in the playoffs and Marty just didnt have an Elway/Peyton/Brady. I guess he had Rivers but Im not sure that counts except for one game.

I guess he also had Montana post prime but those werent the sights of Marty's choke jobs. The Bills were just a better team.

Last edited:

USCDoom

Death On Black Wings
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The season that year started August 31. Season used to go from Labor Day to the weekend before Christmas and Labor Day was 9/1 that year.

The Greatest Opening Day in NFL History. Funny Story, Saturday August 23, 1997 was the day I shaved my head and started my Mohawk which has not been Cut since. Sunday August 24, 1997 was when I went on a my first cross country trip to Tampa to see the First Game with the New Uniforms and Last Opening Day Game in the Ole Sombrero.

The Utter Destruction of the Niners wing of the Hall Of Fame and the Construction of the Bucs wing in the Hall of Fame all in 3 Hours!!!

Ojb81

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Denver Broncos at Pittsburgh Steelers - January 11th, 1998 | Pro-Football-Reference.com
What's weird about this is how early the AFC championship was. The second week of January doesn't seem right. Also how Denver was such a strong team that year but had to go on the road.

I remember it, I was 16 yrs old, such a buzzkill; we killed Denver in the regular season, in early December, so I thought we'd have enough to at least get one more W at home against them. Either way, I was pumped when you guys beat Green Bay, couldn't stand those fuckin packers (and still can't)

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yep, Sloan and George Karl, victims of Michael.