• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Antwaan Randle El Regrets Playing Football

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It keeps getting worse until you're gone. Zip. Nothing. Nada.

I hope for yours and your families' sake that nobody ever goes through it. No matter the cause. Not fun. In my case, my relative wasn't making NFL millions, but was quite successful. Should be going on cruises and round the world trips, and enjoying her golden years after decades of killing herself to achieve that.

Instead she's locked in a ward with people 20-25 years her senior. The condition progresses unevenly, but she's losing more memory of herself all the time. You lose recent memories first, and older ones last.

She doesn't recognize my daughter anymore.

Eventually she won't recognize me. Eventually she'll even lose the ability to speak, and will sit like a vegetable.

It's incredibly hard on the families around the person too.

There's a LOT of study that needs to be done, to find out how it all works. But it's all linked. Whether it's brain injury through repetition, genetics, or diet, or a combination of all three, nobody knows yet.

Whatever the exact causes, it's horrible.

Cross your fingers it doesn't happen to you and yours.
I've seen it happen first hand, but luckily it was always an older person. Like I said it's horrible on everyone involved and heartbreaking for your family to have to witness. Sorry for you and your family for having to endure. I think your post above stresses how this situation is nothing like Randel El though. There is a big difference between memory loss and Demtia. Hopefully his issue never elevates to the above.

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've seen it happen first hand, but luckily it was always an older person. Like I said it's horrible on everyone involved and heartbreaking for your family to have to witness. Sorry for you and your family for having to endure. I think your post above stresses how this situation is nothing like Randel El though. There is a big difference between memory loss and Demtia. Hopefully his issue never elevates to the above.

IF (big if), they won't know until they open up his skull after death, he is suffering from CTE, then his and my relative's conditions will end up at the same point.

The brain degeneration is associated with memory loss, confusion, impaired judgment, impulse control problems, aggression, depression, and, eventually, progressive dementia.

What is CTE? » CTE Center | Boston University

I've done a lot of reading about this stuff since my relative was diagnosed, and talked to doctors and nurses.

Now I get why we as fans feel mighty uncomfortable with the comparisons. I'm a football fan too.

But if Randel El has CTE, he will end up like my Aunt.

Dude

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,999.86
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well yeah. When you're not wearing a helmet, I guess you're brain tells you that it isn't a good idea to lead with your head. Maybe helmets are the NFL's issue.
Four main reasons why rugby is different with respect to contact:
1) The guy with the ball needs to drop it when he's down, essentially fumble the ball, and protect it with his body for other team players to scoop it up. The guy that was tackled could get kicked in the head during this process, but that rarely happens since players are after the ball.
2) For the rugby tackle, you hit the guy on the hip with your shoulder, with the side of your head tucked behind his butt and wrap your arms around his legs/knees.
3) There is no blocking as such, so head shots and that stuff doesn't happen.
4) To move the ball, the pass must go backward in relation the plane, so their is none of this reaching forward to catch a ball; in football many of the hard hits are when a receiver reaches forward or is defenseless (i.e., doesn't see the other guy coming).

BeaReylo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow man I feel bad for Randle El. He was one if my favorite players when he was with The Skins.

Story's like this means the day will come when The NFL won't be the number one sport in The States. I've heard more and more people not allowing their kids to play football for this reason.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow man I feel bad for Randle El. He was one if my favorite players when he was with The Skins.

Story's like this means the day will come when The NFL won't be the number one sport in The States. I've heard more and more people not allowing their kids to play football for this reason.

I think it will continue to be the # 1 sport in the States because it is still a cash cow!