• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Another question for the fan base

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just checked though .... under 400,000 we save ...
OFC post June 1st ... and split it we coul save 4 million but that pushes even more dead money forward

I am 100% anti-moving money forward. I've never been a fan of robbing peter to pay paul. I'd rather get the 400k savings next year and use his roster spot to carry someone we need.

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am 100% anti-moving money forward. I've never been a fan of robbing peter to pay paul. I'd rather get the 400k savings next year and use his roster spot to carry someone we need.

I agree after watching Austin this season

tw1st3d

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The problem with that is you can only have 25 million in dead money.

we are going into next year right now with 12.8 million in dead money. A pure cut of Austin puts us as almost 21 million. ( leaving us with only 4 million space in dead money) and still having to find a way to get 25 million under the cap.

Which means restructuring anyway ... but at thins point you have to look towardscutting guys that actually save you money. Austin isn't one

tw1st3d

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
we could always ask him to take a pay cut like we did with Free though ........

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The problem with that is you can only have 25 million in dead money.

we are going into next year right now with 12.8 million in dead money. A pure cut of Austin puts us as almost 21 million. ( leaving us with only 4 million space in dead money) and still having to find a way to get 25 million under the cap.

Which means restructuring anyway ... but at thins point you have to look towardscutting guys that actually save you money. Austin isn't one

Didn't know about that 25M number, thanks for the info. I assume most of that 12.8 is Ratliff? Wonder if we will get any break from that since he made such a miraculous recovery for CHI.

tw1st3d

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Didn't know about that 25M number, thanks for the info. I assume most of that 12.8 is Ratliff? Wonder if we will get any break from that since he made such a miraculous recovery for CHI.

I know we are hoping to which is why Jerry has kept his mouth shut. He has stated he wouldn't comment because there are legal ramifications involved.
and yeah the NFL has an 87% rule. 87% of the salary cap has to be used on the active roster. Which leaves you with 25 million max you can have in dead cap space a year ( at the current cap)

They did that so you couldn't trade away the whole team and put a team of practice squad players on the field

Thats what the Skins were fined for .... They paid off Haynesworth in one year something like 40 million and were only allowed the 25 million

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Miles will be cut. He probaly shouldnt be playing right now if He was free. He may only save $400K in 2014 if cut pre June 1st, but the quicker you cut him the quicker you start saving in future years. So you save that full $9.6M in 2015 and that full $12.6M in 2016 if you bite the bullet next year. More likely we go the post 6/1 route and spread it out a little, but there is still a huge savings as compared to doing nothing. There is no reason for Miles to be on this team any longer.

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Miles will be cut. He probaly shouldnt be playing right now if He was free. He may only save $400K in 2014 if cut pre June 1st, but the quicker you cut him the quicker you start saving in future years. So you save that full $9.6M in 2015 and that full $12.6M in 2016 if you bite the bullet next year. More likely we go the post 6/1 route and spread it out a little, but there is still a huge savings as compared to doing nothing. There is no reason for Miles to be on this team any longer.

this is what I was thinking :agree:

One other thing though. I love the Lil chain mover, but he is where he is suppose to be. Under the radar. if we made him a #2 I think he would fail. Being a # 3/4 WR is where he needs to stay. So if we cut Miles we need to have his replacement. Not move Beasley up the food chain. JMO.
Sidenote though. If we cut Miles, no way we don't resign Dez. Even though they haven't played like it at times. There is no way we get rid of our #1 & #2 WRs at the same time.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I had never heard the maximum dead money rule. How does that work exactly? What if Romo retired or his career ended via injury tomorrow? We would have more than $25M in dead money. Would there be a penalty?

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
this is what I was thinking :agree:

One other thing though. I love the Lil chain mover, but he is where he is suppose to be. Under the radar. if we made him a #2 I think he would fail. Being a # 3/4 WR is where he needs to stay. So if we cut Miles we need to have his replacement. Not move Beasley up the food chain. JMO.
Sidenote though. If we cut Miles, no way we don't resign Dez. Even though they haven't played like it at times. There is no way we get rid of our #1 & #2 WRs at the same time.

Dez #1; Willliams #2; Beasley #3; Harris #4.

tw1st3d

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
it's not a max dead money rule

The rule is ..... man this has to be the 4th time I have explained it

87% of the salary cap has to be spent on the current active roster.

at the current cap ..... that leaves you with 25 million you can have in dead money..... cap goes up ... so does the 87% and so does the dead money .... it's not set at 25 million ... It is set at you having to spend 87% of the cap on the active roster.

And yes it is a rule .....

unlike baseball .... you cannot walk a 25 million dolloar team on the field to play a 250 million dollar team ...

and for the also 4th or 5th time ... it is why the Redskin got their penalty .... not like they went and bought a team ....

All they did was pay off Haynesworth

Ive posted the link to the NFL contract .... I cant make anyone read it ....

tw1st3d

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you ever wonder why teams just dont throw their hands up and cut and trade everyone and start from scratch ..... that is why .... They can't

The CBA contrat has strict rules to ensure every team atleast tries to put a winning team on the field.

Ekspozed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you ever wonder why teams just dont throw their hands up and cut and trade everyone and start from scratch ..... that is why .... They can't

The CBA contrat has strict rules to ensure every team atleast tries to put a winning team on the field.

Tell that to BJJ.

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
so what would happen if say AP gets a nice new contract with lots of guaranteed money & in his 1st year has a career ending injury? Not that the Vikes were planning on the injury, but would make them fail at the 87% active roster model. Do they still get penalized or is there a way to work that scenario out?

tw1st3d

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
so what would happen if say AP gets a nice new contract with lots of guaranteed money & in his 1st year has a career ending injury? Not that the Vikes were planning on the injury, but would make them fail at the 87% active roster model. Do they still get penalized or is there a way to work that scenario out?

Not exactly sure how it would work ... Im sure wouldnt be a penalty .... but they wouldn't get out of paying him the guaranteed money. So it would effect the cap in a very bad way.
Same if say Romo was done for his career now .....

In other words ... we would be fucked and so would they

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
it's not a max dead money rule

The rule is ..... man this has to be the 4th time I have explained it

87% of the salary cap has to be spent on the current active roster.

at the current cap ..... that leaves you with 25 million you can have in dead money..... cap goes up ... so does the 87% and so does the dead money .... it's not set at 25 million ... It is set at you having to spend 87% of the cap on the active roster.

And yes it is a rule .....

unlike baseball .... you cannot walk a 25 million dolloar team on the field to play a 250 million dollar team ...

and for the also 4th or 5th time ... it is why the Redskin got their penalty .... not like they went and bought a team ....

All they did was pay off Haynesworth

Ive posted the link to the NFL contract .... I cant make anyone read it ....

Same difference if it still works out to $25M this year, doesn't matter how they come up with the number. Has to be more to it or explain to me what happens in my scenario if Romo retires with a bad back. We'd have more than $25M in dead money. Do we forfeit all of our games? Has to be more to it than that.

tw1st3d

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Same difference if it still works out to $25M this year, doesn't matter how they come up with the number. Has to be more to it or explain to me what happens in my scenario if Romo retires with a bad back. We'd have more than $25M in dead money. Do we forfeit all of our games? Has to be more to it than that.

Honestly I dont know .......
No player has ever signed a contract that big and had to retire the next year .....

Wouldnt be a penalty .... but would cripple your cap ... how bad is a question I cant answer for you

tw1st3d

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
normal contract though .....

Player x is due 20 million
retires like Sensy did .... split into 2 years of dead money ...

no clue what would happen if a 100 million player did .... Hell I dont even know if the NFL does

tw1st3d

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
only thing retiring does is default the incentives ... promised money is gonna be paid