• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Another Gonzaga Discussion

mr.hockey4242

Hoopla Cash
$ 26,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't want to beat the dead horse regarding this but since they could be #1 until tourney time I thought I'd bring up an idea I have.

I do truly think this Zags team is better then past because they actually play a lot of defense and I do definitely think they are better then my own team. That said, if they played Marquette exact BE schedule to date...do you see anyway they are better then 5-3 in those 8? Zags are the top team in hoops but more similar to Xavier in capabilities.

Here is what I think they should do. They won't play a real team in about 3 months(I'm not counting St Mary's and Byu who play the same trash) but there is no chance they ever get let in the BE. But why not schedule the BE?

Gonzaga should set up 2 games vs the BE every year. One home, 1 away while getting at least one of those games later in the season. Or at the very least snag one of those catholic schools for an annual home and home.

Think it's smart? Possible? Any other idea for how they could maneuver a schedule without realligning?

jontaejones

Hoopla Cash
$ 149.32
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't want to beat the dead horse regarding this but since they could be #1 until tourney time I thought I'd bring up an idea I have.

I do truly think this Zags team is better then past because they actually play a lot of defense and I do definitely think they are better then my own team. That said, if they played Marquette exact BE schedule to date...do you see anyway they are better then 5-3 in those 8? Zags are the top team in hoops but more similar to Xavier in capabilities.

Here is what I think they should do. They won't play a real team in about 3 months(I'm not counting St Mary's and Byu who play the same trash) but there is no chance they ever get let in the BE. But why not schedule the BE?

Gonzaga should set up 2 games vs the BE every year. One home, 1 away while getting at least one of those games later in the season. Or at the very least snag one of those catholic schools for an annual home and home.

Think it's smart? Possible? Any other idea for how they could maneuver a schedule without realligning?

I don't know if those school would want to travel that far for a home and home especially in the middle of the year. Probably better to set something up with the Pac-12 and it would work the same way. Good idea tho.

Funny enough, if Gonzaga were anywhere east of Colorado, they'd probably be in the Big East. They fit the profile perfectly.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

IMO if you gave Gonzaga Marquette's schedule I think they'd have 2 losses at this point. @ Nova and @ Butler. I do think they would have beaten Pitt and Michigan on a neutral and won against Wisconsin at home, along with winning @ Creighton without Mo Watson.

Also, I know in the past they've stepped OOC during like February to play against a good team. For whatever reason they didn't do that this year.

2016: @SMU
2015: vs. Memphis
2014: @ Memphis
2013: @ Buter
2011: Memphis
2010: @ Memphis

But I do like the idea of them playing a couple OOC games in the middle of the conference play.

douggie

Iron Duke
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,692.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is why P5 conferences get multiple teams and conferences like the West Coast get only one or two. If Gonzaga played in the ACC they would have at least 2-4 losses by now. Gonzaga will be the overall #1 come Tournament time. I'm just hoping that Duke wins enough games to get selected into their region.

jonvi

La Familia Ohana
Hoopla Cash
$ 29,463.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think travel times impact on the body will nix this. I don't know why they don't have an agreement with the p12 though.

jonvi

La Familia Ohana
Hoopla Cash
$ 29,463.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is why P5 conferences get multiple teams and conferences like the West Coast get only one or two. If Gonzaga played in the ACC they would have at least 2-4 losses by now. Gonzaga will be the overall #1 come Tournament time. I'm just hoping that Duke wins enough games to get selected into their region.

lol...I've said that a time or two.

jonvi

La Familia Ohana
Hoopla Cash
$ 29,463.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know if those school would want to travel that far for a home and home especially in the middle of the year. Probably better to set something up with the Pac-12 and it would work the same way. Good idea tho.

Funny enough, if Gonzaga were anywhere east of Colorado, they'd probably be in the Big East. They fit the profile perfectly.

I should have read this first. :-)

mr.hockey4242

Hoopla Cash
$ 26,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IMO if you gave Gonzaga Marquette's schedule I think they'd have 2 losses at this point. @ Nova and @ Butler. I do think they would have beaten Pitt and Michigan on a neutral and won against Wisconsin at home, along with winning @ Creighton without Mo Watson.

Also, I know in the past they've stepped OOC during like February to play against a good team. For whatever reason they didn't do that this year.

2016: @SMU
2015: vs. Memphis
2014: @ Memphis
2013: @ Buter
2011: Memphis
2010: @ Memphis

But I do like the idea of them playing a couple OOC games in the middle of the conference play.

They definitely woulda beat Pitt and Michigan(we choke Pitt hard). My question was would they be better 5-3 in the BE just to kinda show the difference in the conference they play in.

And in that case not sure they would. I see them losing forsure the 2 you said. @creighton is still not a cake walk...then you have Nova at home and @SHU.

They survived vs ISU and Florida. I think they could lose at least 1 of those 3.

But yeah the key for them is to just add in a few non con games in some form

Lions=TeHsUcKs

Basketball School
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think the Zags team in 2015 was their most talented, but this one is probably better coached.

The Future Modal

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've been waiting since I've been here for a decent Gonzaga thread ....... and I'm still waiting.

I've read the OP three times, yet I still don't know what he's getting at.

mr.hockey4242

Hoopla Cash
$ 26,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've been waiting since I've been here for a decent Gonzaga thread ....... and I'm still waiting.

That sounds like a personal problem

ralphiewvu

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,751.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Schedule better ooc games later in the year and challenge yourself. (Even if that requires traveling most of the time)

No reason this team can't convince UW or wazzou to meet up in Febuary.

The Future Modal

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Schedule better ooc games later in the year and challenge yourself. (Even if that requires traveling most of the time)

UW or Wazzu? Can't they do better than that?

Gonzaga basketball is a lot like Boise State football - good enough to play with the best, but can't get enough blue bloods to travel to the home crib.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gonzaga doesn't have an agreement with the Pac 12 the same reason the Pac 12 didn't expand to 16 teams years ago because Baylor involved. Even though their athletic department isn't Jesuit doesn't mean the school isn't and that doesn't mesh with what the conference as a whole agrees with..but we still play them because we are a tolerant school.

The Derski

No Fat Chicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 418.10
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gonzaga doesn't even have a football team.

Cave_Johnson

R.I.P. Bob Saget
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Brought this up before but Gonzaga refuses to play WSU now. Same with the two other local schools EWU and Idaho. Granted they would destroy all 3 but they haven't replaced those three teams with anybody decent.

DHoey

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,893.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
4 page centerfold in the sports page about their beat down with a big time conference opponent today.......Pepperdine :L

tducey

Sports discussion
Hoopla Cash
$ 46,233.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Going to be interesting to see if this is the year they finally get it all together and win the NCAA tournament. They've had good regular seasons before and then nothing in the tourney, wonder if this year will be different.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seems to be a lot of Gonzaga hate in this thread for some reason. I think their schedule has been fine, they can't control who they play in their mid major conference.

Non Conf. SoS = 56 - They were in a tournament with Florida, Iowa State, Seton Hall, Stanford, Miami, Indiana State and Quinnipiac. Unfortunately for them they faced Quinnipiac first. What if they would have gotten a team like Miami or Seton Hall, then Florida and Iowa State like they did in the Semi's and Finals. That SoS would look even that much better. They also scheduled San Diego State and UW, who are having their worst seasons respectively, in quite some time. They essentially scheduled 4 gimme games. MVSU, South Dakota, Bryant and Utah Valley. My guess is every other team in the country has scheduled at least 4 of those if not more. So because of that, I'm fine w/their schedule. Out of their 4 best wins OOC NONE were at home.

Their metrics work well in their favor as well:

#1 in KenPom
#1 in Massey
#2 in Sagarin
#4 in SoR

Even in their mid major conference, their results have been overwhelmingly dominant. They won @ San Francisco by 15. You say, well what's the big deal about that? Well San Francisco has a win on a neutral court over the team currently tied for 3rd place in the Pac 12(Utah) and over a team undefeated and in 1st place in the Missouri Valley(Illinois State). They destroyed St. Mary's by 20+.

They are a very good team, are they #1 because of a by product of their schedule? Probably, but my guess is if you gave them a schedule like Baylor's the record would be similar, maybe 1 additional loss. And at that point we're splitting hairs. They do deserve a #1 seed, and if they go undefeated, they would unquestionably deserve a #1 seed, if not #1 overall seed. It's not like this is a team void of talent. They have two McDonald's AA's, two projected 1st rounders, another projected 2nd rounder(all 2018 mocks), and have top 100 type of guys throughout the roster.