• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Andrew Luck for Patrick Willis trade?

sayheykid1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
That's the key. If it's such a horrible trade for us to make, wouldn't Indy jump at it? If it's so laughably bad as so many have suggested here, why would Indy not make the trade?

I never said that it was such a horrible trade for the 49ers. I wouldn't do it because I think Willis is the heart and soul of the 49ers and I love the idea of seeing a HOF LB play out his prime in a 49er uniform.
The Colts need a young QB of the future because they don't have one on the roster and they have an aging QB who missed the whole season and may never play again.

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I never said that it was such a horrible trade for the 49ers. I wouldn't do it because I think Willis is the heart and soul of the 49ers and I love the idea of seeing a HOF LB play out his prime in a 49er uniform.
The Colts need a young QB of the future because they don't have one on the roster and they have an aging QB who missed the whole season and may never play again.

I wasn't meaning you had. I meant the general response in this thread.

bvanthielriceyoung

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

Take a poll of fans, or hell this message board.

I dont know how you can say they are not. Everyone I talk to has Baltimore in the conversation.

There are basically three teams that have a shot at the Superbowl from the AFC. Pittsburgh, New England, and Balitmore. Many have said that its pretty even between those three and any one of them could come out.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
save this thread for 4 years lol

bringing up leaf and russell when talking about luck is funny shit

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm guessing all the people who said no wouldn't trade Vernon Davis for Andrew Luck either, right?

SportsTIPS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
would be the dumbest move EVER! Willis is a soon to be hall of famer and Luck is just a college quarter back

bvanthielriceyoung

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Not really. Not really at all.

They miss at times, but it's so far from 50/50 as so many have suggested.

This response doesnt make sense. I agree with another poster that he said he finds it funny that people are absolute certain about college prospects and how that many highly rated prospects have failed in the past. He goes on to say how difficult it is to predict and how professionals have a hard time evaluating, let alone people on a message board.

And you say "Not really at all?"

Ah yeah, I do find it funny how people can be 100% sure about a college prospect when history has shown nothing is for sure. And I do find it true that its hard to predict how somone will do in the pros.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm guessing all the people who said no wouldn't trade Vernon Davis for Andrew Luck either, right?

PWillie is the heart and soul of the defense (the heart and soul of the team) and is generally considered one of the best defensive players in all of football.

Davis is a very good TE.

One plays a key position. One plays a nice position to have.

I would trade Davis for the #1 pick in a second. Equating the two is asinine.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Willis is a soon to be hall of famer and Luck is just a college quarter back

For the record, everybody, CaptainObvious changed his screen name to SportsTIPS.

Also for the record I think the Ravens are SB contenders, but I think the Packers & Saints are both a little better.

Also for the record... the all important record which we're all keeping of course... it would probably take Willis + 2 first round picks + a 2nd + 2 3rds & maybe more to get Luck. Willis for Luck straight up is a no brainer.

Also for the record Indy doens't need a MLB; Pat Angerer is doing just fine there, and he has one of the best last names in all of football. So there's that. If anything they'd be much more interested in Aldon Smith than Willis if Robert Mathis leaves (for the Niners???). :)

Also for the recoord Aldon Smith has far more trade value than Willis does because he's younger & his salary is miniscule compared to the VP's.

Last edited by a moderator:

bvanthielriceyoung

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Here are some in "the media" who think we are contenders:

~Hugh Douglas on Scott Van Pelt Show says he liked the 9ers in the Super Bowl

~steve young article
Steve Young: “Whoever doesn’t think these guys are for real is kidding themselves.” - Inside the 49ers

~from nfl.com - the best teams to knock off the superbowl favorites(packers)

Here are four teams with the personnel to follow the Chiefs' blueprint:

1. San Francisco 49ers: The NFL's No. 1 scoring defense has all the key components to implement the tactics used by the Chiefs in their win. They have a pair of pass rushers -- Justin Smith and Aldon Smith -- capable of winning their individual matchups without the assistance of blitzing. In fact, their chemistry and effectiveness on the T-E twist (defensive tackle and defensive end twist) is unrivaled in the NFL. With Carlos Rogers and Tarell Brown emerging as a formidable lockdown tandem, the 49ers' defense has all the ingredients to keep the score down in a battle of NFC contenders.

2. New Orleans Saints: Ignore the Saints' defensive ranking, because gutsy coordinator Gregg Williams is the reason for their inclusion on this list. He is unafraid to throw the kitchen sink at the opposing quarterback, and his talented lineup gives him the flexibility to attack the Packers with pressure or coverage. Roman Harper is the X-factor as the designated rusher from his strong safety spot, but Will Smith is also capable of providing pressure off the edges. Although Patrick Robinson, Jabari Greer and Tracy Porter have had their issues in coverage, they certainly have the athleticism to shadow the Packers' receivers in space.

Kyle Orton
3. Baltimore Ravens: The Ravens are the ideal nemesis for the Packers with their rugged front seven and rangy secondary. Terrell Suggs and Haloti Ngata are problematic for opponents with their power and explosiveness, and the Packers' ailing offensive line could have problems handling the duo. Jimmy Smith and Lardarius Webb have the length and athleticism to challenge Greg Jennings and Co. on the outside, with Ed Reed floating in the back end to snag errant throws over the middle. If Ray Lewis is able to provide a spark as the defensive centerpiece, the Ravens could pose a serious challenge for the Packers.

4. Pittsburgh Steelers: Don't let Rodgers' remarkable performance in Super Bowl XLV cloud your opinion on the Steelers' defense: It is a deeper and more talented unit in 2011. The infusion of young talent along the front seven -- Cam Heyward, Ziggy Hood and Jason Worilds -- has bolstered one of the league's most feared defenses. Troy Polamalu provides a possible solution to Finley, while Ike Taylor has blossomed into the kind of No. 1 corner capable of handling a prime assignment against Jennings.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000...who-else-can-do-it?module=HP11_content_stream

Last edited by a moderator:

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, here's my question. . .

It's the 1998 draft. Baltimore has the opportunity to trade Ray Lewis for the first overall pick and draft Peyton Manning. They also get to keep their own first round pick because all they have to give up is Lewis.

How does this change Baltimore's history? How many MLB could they have drafted that would have been able to give them similar results to Lewis? How have they done at QB at getting Peyton Manning results?

Is Ray Lewis more important to the Ravens success than Peyton Manning is to Indianapolis'? Please someone make this case.

W/O Ray Lewis, the Ravens may have not won the Super Bowl. Ray Lewis is a culture changer, he impacts both on and off the field for that team, specifically the defense.

Ray Lewis' leadership made that defense into one of the top units ever. Peyton did the same for the Colts via offense but took awhile for him to reach the super bowl. Both are excellent leaders and players, but I'm not if they would move Ray Lewis, pending on the direction of the franchise.

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You don't think they would have traded Lewis for Manning in 1998? Are you kidding?

Baltimore trade a first round pick and a second round pick for the right to draft Kyle Boller.

Baltimore traded a 1st, 3rd and 6th to get Joe Flacco.

You think there's no chance they would trade a great player for Peyton Manning?

Well didn't they made those trades after establishing a top tier defense?

They weren't offering Ray, just picks.

Back then,1998 for example, the ravens weren't world beaters on defense.

h0ckeysk83r

Haters gonna hate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry i can just never trade an already proven elite LB who could possibly go down as one of the best for an unproven player who has yet to take a snap in the NFL.

Mozart'sGhost

"Floating In My Tin Can, High Above The World...."
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Simple - Your argument imply's that Luck WILL be as good as Manning; therefore you are changing the parameters of the original question from:

Would you trade Willis as he is today for an unknown commodity?

To

Would you trade Willis as he is today for an elite QB?

Those are two completely different circumstances

Spot on MW; spot on.

Mozart'sGhost

"Floating In My Tin Can, High Above The World...."
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Did I say I was a Stanford fan? You're simply doing what everyone seems to do every year with the great QBs who get two years of hype: Overanalyzing.

And yes, you're wrong about the pick sixes.

How many WRs did Luck have this year that will play in the NFL?[/QUOTE]

That is the key point right there.