• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

An Overlooked Side of the NBA: The C.J. Miles/Dwight Howard Trade

HurricaneDij39

The Middle of Everywhere: NWI
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
upload_2019-8-16_11-8-4.jpeg
It was a straight-up swap between the Wizards and Grizzlies agreed on the evening of July 5th, the night before the free agent moratorium was lifted, of two players on their last legs and on the final years of their respective contracts, and two of only six remaining NBA players that were drafted straight out of high school.

For Memphis, the deal saves them roughly $3 million in salary, while leaving them with two retread veterans on their roster that everyone is seemingly waiting to be bought out, in Howard and Andre Iguodala.

For Washington, well, lord only knows what the fuck they are doing. For one, they are too stubborn to offer their most valuable asset, Bradley Beal, in a trade. And their roster outside of Beal is fringy at best. This is probably the worst-run organization in the league at the moment, which is saying something given that Robert Sarver remains an NBA owner. Apparently they will look to make a reclamation project out of the 32-year-old Miles as compensation for letting Otto Porter go (to another questionably-operated franchise in Chicago no less) for two players they did not elect to re-sign in free agency, while also not retrieving any draft picks in the deal.

In 13 games for the Grizz after being acquired in the Marc Gasol trade, Miles averaged 9.3 points per game on 36.4 percent three-point shooting.

For Dwight Howard, it is very much a matter of how far the mighty have fallen. After appearing in only nine games last season due to what was essentially an injured butt, he just got traded straight up for another retread with even lesser credentials. There's still a solid possibly that Howard will not play in another NBA game.

Perhaps the bigger issue here, though, is high school players coming straight into the NBA. Very few of them had enjoyed lengthy careers well into their 30's, and those to have (Kobe, LeBron, and Garnett) are going to eventually be in the HOF. Those three are the exception and not the rule. Of all the others, Lou Williams looks as if he is going to eventually end with a successful and lengthy career, but the overall list is short. Those that say the NBA should lower its age limit don't know their asses from a hole in the ground, no matter how likely it may end up happening.

Reverting back on the topic of the Otto Porter trade - This could be a franchise altering move for the Bulls when you think about it, given how badly they had fleeced the Wiz in the trade. No doubt with Porter and Lauri Markkanen in the frontcourt for a full 82-game season, the Bulls could at least dream of a playoff spot in what will be a wide-open bottom of the east.

In fact, I am going to make a bold prediction right now in that Anthony Davis will sign as a free agent with his hometown Bulls in 2020. Frank Vogel will find some way to fuck up the situation with he and LeBron. If you can't take it from a Pacers fan who has endured six seasons of failure under Vogel, well, then who the fuck are you going take it from...:scratch:

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Struggled under Vogel? They improved every year with him until Paul George tore up his leg before the 14/15 season, and hegot them back to the playoffs the following season. They topped out at the conference finals two years in a row under Vogel; where have they gotten to since?

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For Dwight Howard, it is very much a matter of how far the mighty have fallen. After appearing in only nine games last season due to what was essentially an injured butt

So, is it safe to say he missed a lot of games because he was butthurt? :D

I'll see myself out.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
View attachment 213768
It was a straight-up swap between the Wizards and Grizzlies agreed on the evening of July 5th, the night before the free agent moratorium was lifted, of two players on their last legs and on the final years of their respective contracts, and two of only six remaining NBA players that were drafted straight out of high school.

For Memphis, the deal saves them roughly $3 million in salary, while leaving them with two retread veterans on their roster that everyone is seemingly waiting to be bought out, in Howard and Andre Iguodala.

For Washington, well, lord only knows what the fuck they are doing. For one, they are too stubborn to offer their most valuable asset, Bradley Beal, in a trade. And their roster outside of Beal is fringy at best. This is probably the worst-run organization in the league at the moment, which is saying something given that Robert Sarver remains an NBA owner. Apparently they will look to make a reclamation project out of the 32-year-old Miles as compensation for letting Otto Porter go (to another questionably-operated franchise in Chicago no less) for two players they did not elect to re-sign in free agency, while also not retrieving any draft picks in the deal.

In 13 games for the Grizz after being acquired in the Marc Gasol trade, Miles averaged 9.3 points per game on 36.4 percent three-point shooting.

For Dwight Howard, it is very much a matter of how far the mighty have fallen. After appearing in only nine games last season due to what was essentially an injured butt, he just got traded straight up for another retread with even lesser credentials. There's still a solid possibly that Howard will not play in another NBA game.

Perhaps the bigger issue here, though, is high school players coming straight into the NBA. Very few of them had enjoyed lengthy careers well into their 30's, and those to have (Kobe, LeBron, and Garnett) are going to eventually be in the HOF. Those three are the exception and not the rule. Of all the others, Lou Williams looks as if he is going to eventually end with a successful and lengthy career, but the overall list is short. Those that say the NBA should lower its age limit don't know their asses from a hole in the ground, no matter how likely it may end up happening.

Reverting back on the topic of the Otto Porter trade - This could be a franchise altering move for the Bulls when you think about it, given how badly they had fleeced the Wiz in the trade. No doubt with Porter and Lauri Markkanen in the frontcourt for a full 82-game season, the Bulls could at least dream of a playoff spot in what will be a wide-open bottom of the east.

In fact, I am going to make a bold prediction right now in that Anthony Davis will sign as a free agent with his hometown Bulls in 2020. Frank Vogel will find some way to fuck up the situation with he and LeBron. If you can't take it from a Pacers fan who has endured six seasons of failure under Vogel, well, then who the fuck are you going take it from...:scratch:

Other good to great players straight outta high school: Tracy McGrady, Amar'e Stoudemire, Rashard Lewis, Dwight Howard, Kendrick Perkins, Andrew Bynum, Monta Ellis, Shaun Livingston, Darryl "Chocolate Thunder" Dawkins

It's not as simple as you say

HurricaneDij39

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Other good to great players straight outta high school: Tracy McGrady, Amar'e Stoudemire, Rashard Lewis, Dwight Howard, Kendrick Perkins, Andrew Bynum, Monta Ellis, Shaun Livingston, Darryl "Chocolate Thunder" Dawkins

And just about all of those guys in fact flamed out in their late 20's. Find me multiple high school draftees to have productive careers well into their 30's and we'll talk.

You could I suppose say Livingston and Rashard Lewis fall into that category, but you can't really argue against the fact the Lewis contract was, in fact, a complete albatross on Orlando by his late 20's.

HurricaneDij39

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Struggled under Vogel? They improved every year with him until Paul George tore up his leg before the 14/15 season, and hegot them back to the playoffs the following season. They topped out at the conference finals two years in a row under Vogel; where have they gotten to since?

When you finish with your conference's best record in a given season, you expect to reach the NBA Finals. We did not do that, so therefore our 2014 season was a big disappointment.

In six seasons under Vogel, our offense ranked over 20th in all of one time.

If you're expecting him to operate a functional offense with the league's biggest control freak on your roster, then frankly you're setting yourself up for a massive disappoinment.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And most of those guys in fact flamed out in their late 20's. Find me multiple high school draftees to have productive careers well into their 30's and we'll talk.

You could I suppose say Livingston and Rashard Lewis fall into that category, but you can't really argue against the fact the Lewis contract was, in fact, a complete albatross on Orlando by his late 20's.

:pound:

"Find me multiple high school draftees to have productive careers well into their 30's...and we'll talk" :L

LeBron James
Kobe Bryant
Kevin Garnett

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Just wanted to say Bart did right by you with the pic

HurricaneDij39

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:pound:

"Find me multiple high school draftees to have productive careers well into their 30's...and we'll talk" :L

LeBron James
Kobe Bryant
Kevin Garnett

Reading comprehension is not your strongest suit apparently. Not shocking though coming from this board's most notorious LeBron ball-washer.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Reading comprehension is not your strongest suit apparently. Not shocking though coming from this board's most notorious LeBron ball-washer.

You really are a clueless jackass. I'm not even a Cavs fan. Maybe someday you'll finally pay attention. How many more times do I have to tell you I'm a Celtics fan since the day of Larry Legend?

And you're the one that said name some players that were productive into their 30's that got to the league straight outta HS. Comment # 5. I gave you three. Not surprised you have an issue with the players I mentioned though.

HurricaneDij39

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You really are a clueless jackass. I'm not even a Cavs fan. Maybe someday you'll finally pay attention. How many more times do I have to tell you I'm a Celtics fan since the day of Larry Legend?

And you're the one that said name some players that were productive into their 30's that got to the league straight outta HS. Comment # 5. I gave you three. Not surprised you have an issue with the players I mentioned though.

It don't get more cut and dry than this - From post #1 in this very thread:

Very few of them had enjoyed lengthy careers well into their 30's, and those to have (Kobe, LeBron, and Garnett) are going to eventually be in the HOF. Those three are the exception and not the rule. Of all the others, Lou Williams looks as if he is going to eventually end with a successful and lengthy career, but the overall list is short.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I didn't bother reading any of that comment. That's not what I responded to orignally. Even though you mentioned them you're still an idiot.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It all depends on what your required level of success is:

Darryl Dawkins
Jermaine O'Neal
Tracy McGrady (HOF)
Tyson Chandler
Amare Stoudemire
Dwight Howard
Andrew Bynum

Other than Dawkins, the rest above have all made all-star and all-NBA teams. Of course, Lou Williams has made a nice career for himself as a 6th man. Shawn Livingston had a successful career, especially considering the awful injury that nearly ended his career. Others like Al Harrington, Kendrick Perkins, Al Jefferson, Josh Smith, JR Smith, and Montae Ellis were consistent starters that flashed at times.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When you finish with your conference's best record in a given season, you expect to reach the NBA Finals. We did not do that, so therefore our 2014 season was a big disappointment.

In six seasons under Vogel, our offense ranked over 20th in all of one time.

If you're expecting him to operate a functional offense with the league's biggest control freak on your roster, then frankly you're setting yourself up for a massive disappoinment.

The Lakers offense will be better than functional. Of course when it is, you'll deflect that to the control freak instead of crediting the coach, but I don't care who gets credit.

HurricaneDij39

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Lakers offense will be better than functional. Of course when it is, you'll deflect that to the control freak instead of crediting the coach, but I don't care who gets credit.

LeBron is going to break down like the old man that he is if indeed he is the point guard. This "get the ball to LeBron and let him control the show" approach may have worked for the 2012 and 2013 Miami Heat. It won't work in 2020 though, and that is precisely what an uncreative Vogel team is going to look like.

lebron23james

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LeBron is going to break down like the old man that he is if indeed he is the point guard. This "get the ball to LeBron and let him control the show" approach may have worked for the 2012 and 2013 Miami Heat. It won't work in 2020 though, and that is precisely what an uncreative Vogel team is going to look like.

You think he is going to turn AD into a jump shooter....Kevin Love 2.0 lol

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Depends, imo.

If he has to do everything like he pretty much had to in Cleveland (especially his last season), then you're likely right.

But, if he's playing pg to where he is mainly setting guys up and picking and choosing his spots to take over/look to score more, then it shouldn't be a problem. Especially if they can stay healthy enough to sit him for some games for "load management".

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You think he is going to turn AD into a jump shooter....Kevin Love 2.0 lol

I don't see that happening because AD is a better overall player than Love. But Love is a much better outside shooter than AD, so the Cavs didn't lose as much of his game by making him mainly a perimeter player.

In short, if AD is being used as a perimeter player as much as Love was, the Lakers will be in trouble.

lebron23james

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Depends, imo.

If he has to do everything like he pretty much had to in Cleveland (especially his last season), then you're likely right.

But, if he's playing pg to where he is mainly setting guys up and picking and choosing his spots to take over/look to score more, then it shouldn't be a problem. Especially if they can stay healthy enough to sit him for some games for "load management".

That is the problem tho. He isn't a great pg. He will dribble dribble dribble than throw the ball to a player, likely AD with a few seconds left, hence why i said he will turn him into a jump shooter.

He turns everyone into jump shooters, which is fine and can win as long as you have good outside shooters/3 point. The best team Lebron beat in the finals he didn't play PG, Irving did...