• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

An explanation of the calls by the refs in the Packer/Lion's game

ArlingtonCowboys100

Goodell is a polesmoker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

molsaniceman

I aint drunk Im just drinking
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,327.46
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
teelers president Dan Rooney said NFL owners "weren't that enthusiastic" about implementing the new pass interference review system, but they agreed to a one-year trial because of the competition committee's recommendation.
The owners' instincts were correct, but they don't deserve any credit because they still implemented the broken system. This year, teams have tried to challenge pass interference calls, but the referees have upheld the ruling on the field almost every single time. Simply put, the new system is wasting everybody's time. Rooney also said the increase in penalties is an NFL "concern" and most fans would agree. There will likely be a lot of rule change discussions at next year's NFL meetings.

Dude

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,999.86
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Amazing some GB fans are grasping for straws, when everybody saw them get the crap get kicked out of them by the Lions, last night. Keep on pretending those dubious calls did not dictate the outcome.

pumpkinhead33793

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Amazing some GB fans are grasping for straws, when everybody saw them get the crap get kicked out of them by the Lions, last night. Keep on pretending those dubious calls did not dictate the outcome.
As a Bears fan who sees Rodgers twice a year, I can say that most Bears fans do not fear Rodgers the way we used to. Now, we just fear Trubisky.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The first one was also bogus. The non call on PI was also a crock. The refs sucked last night plain and simple. They suck most of the time,but last night was epic

The Detroit defender going for the interception with he and Allison banging heads and he gets a 15 yarder... That should've have been called either... He was definitely not trying to make a tackler there... He was putting himself in position to pick it off...

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As a Bears fan who sees Rodgers twice a year, I can say that most Bears fans do not fear Rodgers the way we used to. Now, we just fear Trubisky.
Sorry, but even a over the hill Rodgers can still make stick daggers through your heart.

LambeauLegs

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,938.22
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I am having a hard time understanding the Packers getting the crap kicked out of them when the Lions rushed for 56 yards and passed for 265 yards. The Lions had a good first quarter with like 200 total yards then the last 3 quarters had about 100 yards total.

They were able to get 3 turnovers and were only able to turn those into one touchdown early in the game which should have been challenged but was a gift by the refs and 5 field goals. It was a 3 point game at half time and a 9 point game in the 4th quarter so am not understanding this getting the crap kicked out of the Packers. In comparison the Packers had 170 yards rushing and 283 through the air for over 450 yards compared to about 300 total for the Lions. The 3 Packer turn overs kept the Lions in the game they just failed to take advantage of them only getting field goals

The Lions had the opportunity to kick the carp out of the Packers but they failed in doing so. Because of those failed opportunities in the game to kick the crap out of the Packers it is easier to use bad calls by the refs to blame for the loss.

Here is a view from the Detroit media who actually watched the whole game

Detroit Lions made more mistakes than the refs. That's why they lost to Green Bay

SU Nittany Tide

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,096.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just have every play as challengeable.
So long as you have a timeout, you can make a challenge.
Win the challenge and you get your timeout back.

One potential drawback is if a defense tries to challenge something in order to get their players rest as they try to protect a lead.

Wouldn't mind having an eye in the sky that constantly updates refs on where the ball should be spotted, etc. In my mind, ball spots near the first down marker should be reviewed automatically. If they have to bring the chains out to measure, might as well used that time to review the play to ensure the ball was spotted correctly.
Couldn't they just use a timeout if that was their goal? It'd seemingly be a use of a timeout in this scenario.

Dude

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,999.86
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am having a hard time understanding the Packers getting the crap kicked out of them when the Lions rushed for 56 yards and passed for 265 yards. The Lions had a good first quarter with like 200 total yards then the last 3 quarters had about 100 yards total.

They were able to get 3 turnovers and were only able to turn those into one touchdown early in the game which should have been challenged but was a gift by the refs and 5 field goals. It was a 3 point game at half time and a 9 point game in the 4th quarter so am not understanding this getting the crap kicked out of the Packers. In comparison the Packers had 170 yards rushing and 283 through the air for over 450 yards compared to about 300 total for the Lions. The 3 Packer turn overs kept the Lions in the game they just failed to take advantage of them only getting field goals

The Lions had the opportunity to kick the carp out of the Packers but they failed in doing so. Because of those failed opportunities in the game to kick the crap out of the Packers it is easier to use bad calls by the refs to blame for the loss.

Here is a view from the Detroit media who actually watched the whole game

Detroit Lions made more mistakes than the refs. That's why they lost to Green Bay
Thanks. Your narrative is clear. Until the Refs started screwing with the game, yes, you may have a point. Look, I never take the POV of penalties being decisive in a game. You can spin it any way you want. But, yesterday was bad, they gave the Packers packets of oxygen to survive. Bad calls that favored your team. It happens with the Pats too, and most of us will admit as much.

Judge Fudge

One Pretty Kinky Bastard
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,151.20
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks. Your narrative is clear. Until the Refs started screwing with the game, yes, you may have a point. Look, I never take the POV of penalties being decisive in a game. You can spin it any way you want. But, yesterday was bad, they gave the Packers packets of oxygen to survive. Bad calls that favored your team. It happens with the Pats too, and most of us will admit as much.

We get some too.

But again. Lions had chances and they didn't capitalize.

That is the reason.

Pure and simple.

Dude

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,999.86
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We get some too.

But again. Lions had chances and they didn't capitalize.

That is the reason.

Pure and simple.
Agreed. And that seems to be the consensus. We all learn, week to week in the NFL.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I said this in another, perhaps the wrong thread but honestly WTF people. The hands were to the face, the head was rocked back it's a penalty plain and simple. And taking the "You don't make that call in that situation" approach is asinine. If it's a penalty you make the call.
There is a note in that rule that states it had to be egreious. Niether of those were.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually, even the thigh is too low on QBs now. I've seen more than a few called when tge defenders helmet was in the QBs stomach which means the shoulder pads are on the hip but because the QB goes down awkward and the defender ends up on top of the legs, it gets called. I'm all for protecting the assets (i.e. star QBs) but it has become ridiculous at times.
I don't even like it when it benefits my guy like it has the last couple weeks. I don't try to defend it either. It is what the league has become.
Yep have seen plenty of calls a defender hits a QB in the thighs by the time the QB goes down the defender has fallen below the knees.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed. And that seems to be the consensus. We all learn, week to week in the NFL.
Just like the onfield and booth officials apparently.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd like to see it called only if it matters....if it was behind the play, for instance, and played no role, let it go.

Agree.

With all the rule changes every year the NFL should add an inadvertant flag. A dumbass official that throws a flag for holding that occurred 30 yards away from the play NEEDS to be picked up.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
but the problem with today's instant replay is most likely they say the play stands that was called on the field.
Even instant replay is pathetic right now.
This won't change until they have an unbiased/uninterested party making those calls. The replay guys are all old buddies of the onfield officials. They are not going to consistently throw their fellow refs under the bus making them and the NFL look bad.

Dude

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,999.86
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just like the onfield and booth officials apparently.
Not much to argue. Both sides have stated valid points. Who cares really?