• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Alvarez to Coach Bowl Game

wiskyisgood12

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Barry Alvarez to coach Wisconsin in Outback Bowl vs. Auburn - Bucky's 5th Quarter

I'm probably reading too much into this, but I think it pretty much means that Dave Aranda isn't a candidate for the job.

I hope everyone will finally believe this. But, admission standards are a big time challenge at UW. Gary Andersen lost a ton of recruits because while they were NCAA eligible they just were not going to get admitted to Wisconsin. Whoever the next coach is will have to be accepting of those standards, yes, it can be frustrating. Standards or not, you can win and win big here.

I do think the standards coupled with the fact that I'm not sure Gary Andersen ever felt comfortable in the midwest. Andersen's a west coast guy. That's okay. It's time to find someone who loves UW, and wants to be here.

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:alvarez:

963BUSC

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Barry Alvarez to coach Wisconsin in Outback Bowl vs. Auburn - Bucky's 5th Quarter

I'm probably reading too much into this, but I think it pretty much means that Dave Aranda isn't a candidate for the job.

I hope everyone will finally believe this. But, admission standards are a big time challenge at UW. Gary Andersen lost a ton of recruits because while they were NCAA eligible they just were not going to get admitted to Wisconsin. Whoever the next coach is will have to be accepting of those standards, yes, it can be frustrating. Standards or not, you can win and win big here.

I do think the standards coupled with the fact that I'm not sure Gary Andersen ever felt comfortable in the midwest. Andersen's a west coast guy. That's okay. It's time to find someone who loves UW, and wants to be here.

Didn't Barry Alvarez also have a vote on the 4 playoff teams.

wiskyisgood12

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, he has a vote. I'm not sure how much energy he'll have to be a true "head coach" in the sense of getting the team pumped to play, I think that will be more player driven.

Erie Warrior

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,827.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It will probably go as well as the Rose Bowl did a couple of years ago.

HuskerinBig10

Dad, World Traveler, Investor, college football
Hoopla Cash
$ 436.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The University of Wisconsin Madison is one of the country's top public universities, and the admissions standards are higher than the majority of large public institutions. About a third of applicants are rejected. In the graph above, accepted students are represented by the green and blue dots. You can see that the majority of students who got into Wisconsin had a high school average of B+ or higher, an ACT composite score above 23, and a combined SAT score (CR+M+W) of above about 1700. The chances for admission increase as those grades and test scores go up.

Percent of Applicants Admitted: 68%
UW-Madison GPA and Test Score Graph
Test Scores -- 25th / 75th Percentile
SAT Critical Reading: 530 / 650
SAT Math: 630 / 750
SAT Writing: 580 / 670

ACT Composite: 26 / 30
ACT English: 26 / 32
ACT Math: 26 / 31
ACT Writing: 8 / 9

Wild Turkey

Sarcasm: Just one of my many services.
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea he is and will pay himself an extra 300k for doing it like last time. Merry Christmas Barry.

HighTide

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He won't be able to stop the Gus Bus.

Mondio

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I doubt it will go that well. I'm expecting us to get our asses kicked. In that Rose Bowl, a few lucky bounces that went the other way, were the difference in a well played game by both sides. I actually thought a WI team was facing a better team in Stanford and played pretty well.

Jim Rome is Flaming

Check that, Chris Everett
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You mean the time he took a 7-5 unranked team that had just lost its head coach, and lost to the #7 team in the country by 6 points? Yeah that game was totally on Barry.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Way too many of your fans are drinking the kool-aid that the media dept is feeding you.

I'm not sure anyone outside of wisky buys that the main or only reason Anderson left is the tough recruiting standards at the school. How does that make ANY sense? :noidea:

It might have been a factor, but surely not the main reason. Far more likely it was Alvarez not letting him run his offense and having far more input than a typical AD does.

Which seems more like something you would be willing to leave a bigger program for a smaller one for? Think about it guys.

He is going to have far more freedom to coach HIS way at Oregon State. He will be able to run HIS scheme. That's big for a head coach.

Sgt Brutus

Goober
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's obvious Alvarez is pulling the strings behind the sceens. How else do you explain him coaching the bowl and not one of the coordinators or assistant coaches?

He is still very much running the football program from his AD office (aka Vlad Putin of CFB)

OregonDucks

Oregon Is Faster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Alvarez likes this firing then coaching in bowl games stuff. Little nostalgia for him.

Erie Warrior

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,827.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not crying, just pointing out the stupidity of your post.

So, you think Barry will lead them to victory?

Its not a great situation for him. His HC bailed on him right before the bowl game. I just don't see them doing well. BTW, I wasn't bashing him, I just don't think they'll win, just like last time.

Y

Yapp14

So, you think Barry will lead them to victory?

Its not a great situation for him. His HC bailed on him right before the bowl game. I just don't see them doing well. BTW, I wasn't bashing him, I just don't think they'll win, just like last time.
Barry was overrated when he was the HC. This is a simple case of someone with a tremendous ego believing he can swoop in and prop up his image.

Here is a question Wisky fans should be asking their AD?

How is the coaching search going? So why you were spending the next 3-4 weeks preparing for one game, who is going to be running the athletic department that actually serves other sports besides football?

Why do the head coaches leave this program Barry?

Lots of questions