• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Altered Carbon

Godstree

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There seemed to be so much and at the end it left me ...... meh!

Ortega had a hellified body. The torture scenes were off the chart which led to some other frightening moments down the road. But it seemed like .... meh!

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Heh. I get not thinking it's Westworld caliber. But 'meh?'

Good lord we're jaded.

Cave_Johnson

R.I.P. Bob Saget
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ha, getting an ad for this show while viewing the thread.

Finished it like a week ago. Didn't blow me away but it was pretty damn good overall. No Fuller House, but not everything can be.

Godstree

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Heh. I get not thinking it's Westworld caliber. But 'meh?'

Good lord we're jaded.

I thought the writing got lazy and at times the acting as well.

Some great shit in there but it fell flat at the end.

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought the writing got lazy and at times the acting as well.

Some great shit in there but it fell flat at the end.

Why 'lazy?' Given that the showrunner fought for over a decade to get AC on the air, dunno why anything about it would be termed 'lazy.'

Or is 'lazy' just = to 'I didn't love it?'

Godstree

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why 'lazy?' Given that the showrunner fought for over a decade to get AC on the air, dunno why anything about it would be termed 'lazy.'

Or is 'lazy' just = to 'I didn't love it?'

Not sure but the dialog at some points was fred flinston like. And the Sis being behind it all was was a twist and all but it didn't bring it together the way it should have.

Now I will say I watched almost all episodes after I came home from work and it was late and I was tired so that could have factored in as well.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pretty cool show. Definitely a ton of sci-fi plot info to digest over the course of 10 episodes so it got a little confusing at times. Pretty easy to comprehend the basics and make assumptions. For some of the deeper stuff I'll probably have to go back and watch it all over again. Still very entertaining! Sad that AI Poe died. He was a badass.

Wonder if they come up with a 2nd season where he goes after Quell? Not to mention his unfinished business with the CTAC & Jaeger. Also feels like Lizzie's character is only at the tip of the iceberg sotospeak. Come to think of it... Its based off of books right?

@chf - How many books were there?

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pretty cool show. Definitely a ton of sci-fi plot info to digest over the course of 10 episodes so it got a little confusing at times. Pretty easy to comprehend the basics and make assumptions. For some of the deeper stuff I'll probably have to go back and watch it all over again. Still very entertaining! Sad that AI Poe died. He was a badass.

Wonder if they come up with a 2nd season where he goes after Quell? Not to mention his unfinished business with the CTAC & Jaeger. Also feels like Lizzie's character is only at the tip of the iceberg sotospeak. Come to think of it... Its based off of books right?

@chf - How many books were there?

Three. Kovacks is the main character in all three, but the setting changes.

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure but the dialog at some points was fred flinston like. And the Sis being behind it all was was a twist and all but it didn't bring it together the way it should have.

Now I will say I watched almost all episodes after I came home from work and it was late and I was tired so that could have factored in as well.

The sister angle was something they changed from the books, and i get why they did it, but wasn't my favorite part of the show either.

Not sure exactly where you're going with the 'Fred Flintstone' deal, but Morgan does shade to the Elmore Leonard school of spare dialogue. In my mind that's a good thing, not a bad one. YRMV. Although i admire some of the stuff Aaron Sorkin writes forinstance, it's as unreal as it gets if you factor how people actually speak in real life.

Kovack, especially being a 'noir' character, isn't exactly a bubbling well of garrulousness.

Godstree

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The sister angle was something they changed from the books, and i get why they did it, but wasn't my favorite part of the show either.

Not sure exactly where you're going with the 'Fred Flintstone' deal, but Morgan does shade to the Elmore Leonard school of spare dialogue. In my mind that's a good thing, not a bad one. YRMV. Although i admire some of the stuff Aaron Sorkin writes forinstance, it's as unreal as it gets if you factor how people actually speak in real life.

Kovack, especially being a 'noir' character, isn't exactly a bubbling well of garrulousness.

It was almost as if he was the terminator or something at times with the speech. Just bland.

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was almost as if he was the terminator or something at times with the speech. Just bland.

Right, he's a soldier. <shrug>

Godstree

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Right, he's a soldier. <shrug>

And yet at other times his dialog was very well spoken. That is what I mean about the lazy writing. It was flowing fantastically and then a big drop off at times.

I would watch a season 2 because I did like the concept and the futuristic BS the show had.

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And yet at other times his dialog was very well spoken. That is what I mean about the lazy writing. It was flowing fantastically and then a big drop off at times.

I would watch a season 2 because I did like the concept and the futuristic BS the show had.

Can you give me an example of one of these Shakespearean speeches from the earlier episodes? Cause I'm coming up empty.

Speaking of lazy writing. :)

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now having said that, I WOULD agree on this front...

Once they added in the sister character, TK lost a shit ton of screen time. Sis became kind of a 1A character, at least in terms of time on screen.

Could one say that they think it was a mistake to deviate that way from the source material? Sure. But I'm not sure what's 'lazy' about doing that?

'Lazy' has kinda become a 'lazy' criticism.

They would actually have to work HARDER to re-write a bunch of stuff to add her character.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now having said that, I WOULD agree on this front...

Once they added in the sister character, TK lost a shit ton of screen time. Sis became kind of a 1A character, at least in terms of time on screen.

Could one say that they think it was a mistake to deviate that way from the source material? Sure. But I'm not sure what's 'lazy' about doing that?

'Lazy' has kinda become a 'lazy' criticism.

They would actually have to work HARDER to re-write a bunch of stuff to add her character.

that wasn't source material?? thought it was as it hit every single scifi cliché... I liked the show, but thought the story played second fiddle to its scenery and concept...

was any of the other AIs based on famous literary figures( Real or fictional) besides Edgar Allen Poe??

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
that wasn't source material?? thought it was as it hit every single scifi cliché... I liked the show, but thought the story played second fiddle to its scenery and concept...

was any of the other AIs based on famous literary figures( Real or fictional) besides Edgar Allen Poe??

The source material won the Phillip K Dick award. The problem with any deeply realized universe, is that it takes a shit ton of time to let the audience in on all the details. That's why it's proved near impossible for anyone to do 'Dune' justice, and the closest anyone has come has been a mini-series.

The Expanse is hard to follow for the same reason.

Step out of sci-fi, and shows with LOTS of depth take time to get going as well. 'The Wire' was glacially paced the first season, because they had so many characters and dynamics to set up.

Don't get me started on GOT.

Funnily enough the AI in AC in the book isn't Poe at all, but Jimmy Hendrix. However the AC show runners couldn't get permission from Jimmy's estate to use him in the show. So, Poe.

But no, AI's aren't central to the storyline of the books - the whole sleeving tech is the central conceit, and the Martians take on a much larger role in season 2 and 3.

Duffman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,535.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If anyone cares Altered Carbon was rated the #1 show of 2018 on MrSkin.com(whatever that is, I clearly have no idea). Maybe I'll give it a watch now.

Yo Tee

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,749.98
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If anyone cares Altered Carbon was rated the #1 show of 2018 on MrSkin.com(whatever that is, I clearly have no idea). Maybe I'll give it a watch now.

Well, there's definitely a bunch of nudity in the show so that doesn't surprise me.

BusSport

Mountain Goat Racer
Hoopla Cash
$ 115,625,688.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Season 2 casting announcement video: