• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

All-Time Roster of Non-HOF Players

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So would David Price, Chapman, Jansen, Cueto and anyone with a darker tan than the Ross brothers.

I know you hate adjusted stats... I do too... But I wish that the adjustment didn't use the league averages, but used the player who was the 20th best or something like that...

some stat heads think + stats are great to compare eras, but they really are not... when we are talking about the greats, why are we comparing them with the average players of their time??

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm cool with replacing Rock with Vince.

Ron Washington is coaching third.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know you hate adjusted stats... I do too... But I wish that the adjustment didn't use the league averages, but used the player who was the 20th best or something like that...

some stat heads think + stats are great to compare eras, but they really are not... when we are talking about the greats, why are we comparing them with the average players of their time??
Me too.

Categories don't always adjust out evenly. Outliers foul up all kinds of numbers, if you use hard numbers. I slot guys out a lot more, in my mind, when we do Mocks. (Omar got the first ten picks or in this one. Makes it tough.)

Far too many variables for me when it comes to putting a plus sign on something.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You think Babe Ruth, a top 3 hitter of all time, would be used as a pitcher? Um.......

I think that if Ruth had come along today with the pitching talent he had and would land on a team like the Reds or the Brewers, he'd still be pitching. He'd be pitching if he came along today with that stuff and landed on the Cubs, who already have 9 outfielders. Sorry about Heyward. He would have been a pitcher on the Big Red Machine of the 1970s because they didn't freakin' need any more hitters. '

If he had come along as a hitter first, then all that conversation is moot.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think that if Ruth had come along today with the pitching talent he had and would land on a team like the Reds or the Brewers, he'd still be pitching. He'd be pitching if he came along today with that stuff and landed on the Cubs, who already have 9 outfielders. Sorry about Heyward. He would have been a pitcher on the Big Red Machine of the 1970s because they didn't freakin' need any more hitters. '

I can't even imagine if Kershaw were the best power in hitter in baseball.

That's what it'd be like if Ruth came up today, I think. The best lefty starter in the game, who would hit third or fourth for every single team. Cabrera and Kershaw, in one player. Just crazy to imagine.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But what could have been with Hamilton is a great one to think about.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

it does ask a question for sure... What is more important for your team, a pitcher or a hitter... I think in modern baseball though he would have come up as a hitter though since pitchers get hurt too much...

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's what it'd be like if Ruth came up today, I think. The best lefty starter in the game, who would hit third or fourth for every single team. Cabrera and Kershaw, in one player. Just crazy to imagine.

Naturally the scouting would affect all this since a guy's talent would "out" before he got to the pros.
Still, Ruth's pitching skills would have really meant a lot to a lot of teams looking for a top of the line rotation guy. I think we all agree that he'd be hitting a lot, but almost all pitchers were some kind of overall talent in high school. A lot of them quit hitting when they start pitching regularly. That apparently never affected Ruth.

Of course, if he had come up as a hitter, nobody would ever have known how good a pitcher he was.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Naturally the scouting would affect all this since a guy's talent would "out" before he got to the pros.
Still, Ruth's pitching skills would have really meant a lot to a lot of teams looking for a top of the line rotation guy. I think we all agree that he'd be hitting a lot, but almost all pitchers were some kind of overall talent in high school. A lot of them quit hitting when they start pitching regularly. That apparently never affected Ruth.

Of course, if he had come up as a hitter, nobody would ever have known how good a pitcher he was.

again, in modern day baseball I think he would have had to choose what he would rather do... of course with his managers... But if he chooses pitching, he is not going to hit often... Not going to DH... there is no way a team would risk the health of their stud pitcher... Micah owings and Rick ankiel were not exactly good enough pitchers that the team cared about hitting them often... Look at Madison Bumgarner, who is the best offensive pitcher out there right now... He doesn't bat often when he is not pitching...

He would not be doing both... he would have to choose...

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
eh... he really wasn't as good as you/any of us remember... He really only had ONE good season...

Hamilton apparently had the tools to be a very good hitter. Not an MVP guy but a very good hitter.