• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

All things offseason

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
For the last two years, it seems like the 49ers have been connected with almost every available FA. I quit taking those reports seriously.

Don't know about reports across the country, but do know this has been happening on this board, ever since i've been posting. First on the NFL.COM boards, then here, and it doesn't even need to involve the top FA's.

No matter their recent performance, their cost, how old, their injury, what their non-football circumstances are, SOMEONE will throw his name out on this board. Then they'll add "for the right price".

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tate being a top ten option for offensive free agents tells me it is a weak group this year.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Tate being a top ten option for offensive free agents tells me it is a weak group this year.

yes, but it is only this writers opinion.

Maybe teams are now more capable of extending their players, since the cap is rising fast? So less of the top players hit free agency?

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is possible, I would rather add a good guard, and Earl Thomas.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't know about reports across the country, but do know this has been happening on this board, ever since i've been posting. First on the NFL.COM boards, then here, and it doesn't even need to involve the top FA's.

No matter their recent performance, their cost, how old, their injury, what their non-football circumstances are, SOMEONE will throw his name out on this board. Then they'll add "for the right price".

It is reported nationally. Happens all the time in the media. All you have to do is look at ESPN. Whenever a big name comes up, San Francisco is always mentioned as a potential destination.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yes, but it is only this writers opinion.

Maybe teams are now more capable of extending their players, since the cap is rising fast? So less of the top players hit free agency?

Teams will always value certain positions more than others and certain positions will have more players hit free agency than others.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The team fired Ray Wright, Strength and Conditioning Coach today

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
The team fired Ray Wright, Strength and Conditioning Coach today

Not surprising with so many injuries the last two years. I would think most injuries are NOT due to the Strength and Conditioning Coach, but due to the nature of the game? But thats the way it goes in the NFL, someone has to fall.

Not saying a good Strength and Conditioning Coach won't help, it will. But IMO not as much as we'd like to think.

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not surprising with so many injuries the last two years. I would think most injuries are NOT due to the Strength and Conditioning Coach, but due to the nature of the game? But thats the way it goes in the NFL, someone has to fall.

Not saying a good Strength and Conditioning Coach won't help, it will. But IMO not as much as we'd like to think.

I don't know Notre Dame got healthier when they got rid of their old strength and conditioning coach. I mean you will still have some injuries but he did help eliminate some of the nagging type of injuries and improved overall conditioning of the athletes.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know Notre Dame got healthier when they got rid of their old strength and conditioning coach. I mean you will still have some injuries but he did help eliminate some of the nagging type of injuries and improved overall conditioning of the athletes.

There are some types of injuries that cannot be mitigated through strength and conditioning like joint and tendon injuries. The injuries to Jimmy G and Mckinnon. But some of these hamstring injuries could be avoided.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Ok, at very least it can't get any worse..........or can it? :-)

Ricky Roma

The Catch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Getting rid of a S/C coach is more of a fall guy thing than anything else. Unless there is evidence that he was disobeying orders, or there was a list of the same injury that wasn't treated properly.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Getting rid of a S/C coach is more of a fall guy thing than anything else. Unless there is evidence that he was disobeying orders, or there was a list of the same injury that wasn't treated properly.

Yes, that's is what i'm saying too, injuries is more about the game than the S&C Coach. But someone has to take the hit and its logically the S&C Coach.

A new S&C Coach will help a little bit, but the hard hitting game remains the same.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
"Mack is now the highest-paid defensive player in NFL history. The deal, which averages $23.5 million per season, includes $90 million in guaranteed money and $60 million at signing, the source said.

The Bears gave up first-round picks in 2019 and 2020, a third-round pick in 2020 and a sixth-round pick in 2019 to acquire Mack earlier Saturday. In return, the Bears also received a second-round pick in 2020 and a conditional fifth-round pick in 2020."

The 49ers had tried to trade for Khalil Mack too, now knowing we pick #2 overall, would you still make this trade? Consider the cap hit and age too.

Mack is now 27 and i'll assume he's 28 by next regular season.

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"Mack is now the highest-paid defensive player in NFL history. The deal, which averages $23.5 million per season, includes $90 million in guaranteed money and $60 million at signing, the source said.

The Bears gave up first-round picks in 2019 and 2020, a third-round pick in 2020 and a sixth-round pick in 2019 to acquire Mack earlier Saturday. In return, the Bears also received a second-round pick in 2020 and a conditional fifth-round pick in 2020."

The 49ers had tried to trade for Khalil Mack too, now knowing we pick #2 overall, would you still make this trade? Consider the cap hit and age too.

Mack is now 27 and i'll assume he's 28 by next regular season.

Yes, he's known and they probably don't pick #2 with Mack

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok, say we did get Mack and we win what 2 more games? Say we pick #8 in the 2019, and all the rest remains the same. Do you still make this trade?

Yes, give me the known talent over a potential good player. You wouldn't not do the trade if one player taken was like Thomas and the other Foster

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Yes, give me the known talent over a potential good player. You wouldn't not do the trade if one player taken was like Thomas and the other Foster

Ok. Obviously, there is no right or wrong answer, but at least you're willing to choose one.

For me it is a tough call, i got your logic so not jumping on the 'NO' answer. I guess i'll lean to 'No' because seems to me this type of deal is only for a franchise QB? While an All-Pro ER like Mack is 2nd most important spot, thats a lot to give up - both draft capital and cap space?!

One reason it is easier to say yes, is that we won't lose another 1st rounder till the 2020 draft. So that part doesn't hurt as much now, but it would a year from now. That pick might still be closer to 10th than 20th?

But again, LEAN towards 'No', not jumping all over it. :-)