• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Alabama is next

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let the countdown begin! So the Tide lose AJ and we will have to wait n see on Saban( I think he stays btw), anyone have a scouting report on the Tide for '14? Who is going to Atlanta?

DCWV4life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will be going, we have been planning this since it was annouced..lol

As far as the scouting report for Bama I think losing AJ is going to be bigger than most think...lets face it three year starter and possible HT canidate. I do not care how many 4 or 5 star players you have it is hard to replace that exp.

Listen gents times are down, but if DH can put this thing together with a offseason of everyone together we could have a shot in this thing. WE are going to be talented and expirienced at WR and RB. If the football gods look down upon us favorably and one of these QBs works out we could pull off the upset. I think the playcalling is fine, if you look at a lot of the games we ran plays that worked under Geno but just did not have the guys to pull it off. Situation calling needs to be worked on, but how do you know if it was a bad call or not with the inconsistent O line play.

I am worried about the defense as usual, but more so the defensive line because of what we are losing. LB's should be solid and well for a change the DB's should not be that bad...lol
My biggest concern is our poor play calling on third down the last 4 or 5 games. Even my wife said "they look like they are doing the same thing over and over" and yes they were...even after giving up a number of third downs and there in the last game a fourth. Funny thing is if you look at the tape from last year they were doing just about the same thing just switch out Francis and put in Golson. If you look at the stats each had the both seemed to slow up at the end of the year once teams realized hey the blitz is coming from this guy.

Anyway longer than I intended, but as usual I will be just as fired up next year like I have every season.

LETS GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

JIMKOON

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anything is possible. It appears, that unless some of his players early enter the NFL draft, Saban could field a rather experienced team next season. As stated above, there is a WHOLE bunch of work to do with the roster depth situation, and finding the right talent to fit the situation at hand. We have been pretty darn successful when being overlooked by the big guys. Not saying Saban would, but ya just never know.

DCWV4life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good call Jim, I am surprised how many players will be coming back for them or that are not seniors. After looking at this i hope not having AJ back hits them like not having Geno hit us.

JIMKOON

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good call Jim, I am surprised how many players will be coming back for them or that are not seniors. After looking at this i hope not having AJ back hits them like not having Geno hit us.

Was there a real backup to AJ ever? That might be the one place Saban could run into a problem. Many of his games this season were not the absolute blowouts so I believe AJ took almost all the snaps this season. Could be very short sighted on Saban's part given no National Championship this year. Which could very well create some additional fire for our players in having a bit of a balanced playing field.

Our defense has got to improve, somehow, across the board, from the line play to the secondary. And, hope the injury bug is not so darn contagious next year. I had failed to recognize how badly we were beat up by season ending stuff.

Last edited by a moderator:

JIMKOON

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And Gold, I agree, Saban isn't going anywhere. Texas, in my opinion, would be a lateral, if not backward, step, and once more, in my opinion, Texas will be rebuilding again after next year. They appear upperclass laden this coming season, and a bit like us this past season, in their lacking depth chart experienced players. Mack Brown may be moving out, but Nick Saban ain't movin in.

Anotherwvufan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You guys have a bit more optimism than I do about this game. A win would sure get holgerson off the hot seat quick.

JIMKOON

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You guys have a bit more optimism than I do about this game. A win would sure get holgerson off the hot seat quick.

I feel that even a close loss gets him off too. I blowout would be very hard to look past. For all Alabama has coming back Another, that lack at QB may be monumental. AJ has been the total leader on the field for 3 years, I'm still looking for other QB's on the team with any snap count numbers in serious games, and I'm not finding anything impressive. That could be the open door to a very competitive game, one, I say, we could win, or just barely lose. the improvement over the next 9 months is the key. Can the defense rise up another full notch in 9 months? Can we at least fill some of the depth chart issues with quality talent, even if it means a few more JUCO kids?

Luck feels that we are on track, but in reading his statement, I did notice a rather undertone, it has to improve this coming season, that is a very very short leash for any head coach, if Holgerson can push this team to break even, in my opinion, he will get another year, if not, I think Luck's hands will be tied, and change will be made.

Anotherwvufan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I worry more about our QB than Alabamas losing McCarren. Even though we will have 3 more QBs who have started games than Alabama does, I'll take an unproven Alabama QB over our guys.

We are still at a point where we have no players who would even make the 2 deep at Alabama. Carswell was an Alabama reject walked into here after JUCO and became a starter, before he ended up kicked off the team.

Recruiting is getting better and in some ways we are heading in the right decision but we have been in a losing atmosphere since Texas Tech last year. Even in games we play well, we find a way to lose.

I'm glad to see your renewed optimism. WVU will be back whether next year or not. Holgerson would pull off WVU coach of the decade with a win in this game. Stranger things have happened. Without a loss to us Oklahoma State would likely be headed for the NC game. Being our first game, depth is not as much of a concern as all of our starters will be fresh and ready to play. Darrien Howard may be a guy who can clog up the middle and our linebackers may be able to stop their run. We can hope for a QB blowup, but I expect lots of TJ Yeldon. I will hope for the best andnot be suprised by the worst.

JIMKOON

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I woulde thin it would b bes0 in r ntire hisory hop to b hee to se it. no go

JIMKOON

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My father fell asleep while writing this last post. I took the time to read many of his statements here, and we are dismayed, because this is not the man we know. I ask that you not take to much of what was said here to heart, he has been a good husband and father.

I am signing him off and removing the computer.

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We are still at a point where we have no players who would even make the 2 deep at Alabama.

I wouldn't say that, I think at least 2 of our RB's (Smith and/or Shell)would either be in the 2 deep or start outright for the Tide. Cooper is fantastic for them but I don't know that White, Alford or Shorts
wouldn't make the 2 deep cut either.
On defense I might agree, though I have to believe KJ could be close if not find himself a spot. Ill take Lambert over any kicker they have from what I've seen so, yea we are outnumbered, but we have some weapons.

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't follow Bama too closely. I looked up the QB situation, and it is interesting to see Sims has thrown the ball 18/29 for 167 yds and 2 TDs. He is a junior, and has little playing time.

Of course, Bama beats you the old fashion way. They pound you, and wear you out by game's end.

Our defense was not very stout against the run… especially to teams that did it well like OU and Baylor.

DCWV4life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey remember what everyone said would happen when we played Georgia down there!

BELIEVE!!

Slaton10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Speaking of lottery Tickets....if Dana wins that game....how long do you think he gets an extension for?!..

bbwvfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Speaking of lottery Tickets....if Dana wins that game....how long do you think he gets an extension for?!..

If Dana beats Bama, I think Luck should extend his contract by at least another 5-6 yrs.

Anotherwvufan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Bummer, I thought that he wanted a challenge and was coming to WVU. I guess that HCBS contract buyout kept Ollie from offering him the job.

Seriously, this could change everything. Draft eligible Sophomores and Juniors will bolt to the NFL and give us a real chance against Sabanless Alabama.

The thought is playing against him every year while at Texas is disturbing though.

Anotherwvufan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My father fell asleep while writing this last post. I took the time to read many of his statements here, and we are dismayed, because this is not the man we know. I ask that you not take to much of what was said here to heart, he has been a good husband and father.

I am signing him off and removing the computer.

Well taken. That being said, you should let him have his computer back. He stated that it was his only joy left in this world. We will put up with him.