• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Ahh Ottawa - your not getting it. - Anderson signed for 4 years

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
after what 15 games?

The Ottawa Senators signed goaltender Craig Anderson to a four-year contract extension on Monday. The native of Park Ridge, IL, will earn $12.75 million over the course of his contract, averaging $3.187 million per season. The club takes a cap hit of $3.18 million in the deal

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
hey Kenny - is your depth for goalies that bad the Sens have to make a rash signing like this? granted he has played very well but isnt 4 years extreme?

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This certainly follows the NHL trend of going with young goaltenders and keeping the cap hit low...

Oh wait...

:L

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dunno ... is 3.18 that high for a guy hitting his prime ... yes 4 years is steep ... I know he wasnt good with the Avs this year but there were issues there ... He had something personal going on when he took that leave and i remember an avs poster saying he was a cancer in the dressing room but didnt explain ... was it because the Avs were not talking contract with him?

he's been a completely different goalie with the Sens ... back to last years form really ... I think he's a good goalie and Ive heard the Ottawa media go on about Elliott, saying hes a guy that never thought he gave up a bad goal in his life

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i think the 4 years is the risky part jstew. I dont mind the cap hit. that is resonable for any starting goalie in this league. and I agree he is decent but for that team rebuilding. I dont know once the pressure is back on for that team next year not sure they will play that good.

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i think the 4 years is the risky part jstew. I dont mind the cap hit. that is resonable for any starting goalie in this league. and I agree he is decent but for that team rebuilding. I dont know once the pressure is back on for that team next year not sure they will play that good.

I agree totally.

Especially since the Sens have a poor recent history with various "goalies of the future". I would have thought they'd want to go a bit more short term to see if it will actually work out for them this time.

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree totally.

Especially since the Sens have a poor recent history with various "goalies of the future". I would have thought they'd want to go a bit more short term to see if it will actually work out for them this time.

Anderson was being talked about for the US olympic team and the Vezina at points last year so I dont think he is chopped liver ... yes term is a definite risk

theyve had trouble with the label "goalie of the future" - hitching that tag to a 9th round pick (Elliott) was a mistake - lol

Lehner is a proper "goalie of the future"

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
dont think we are saying he sucks. but he had a great season last year. really bad this year finishing strong. but for 4 years after 10 games is a big deal in a cap world on a rebuilding team.

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anderson was being talked about for the US olympic team and the Vezina at points last year so I dont think he is chopped liver ... yes term is a definite risk

theyve had trouble with the label "goalie of the future" - hitching that tag to a 9th round pick (Elliott) was a mistake - lol

Lehner is a proper "goalie of the future"

The Sens have had a bunch of those though.

I guess my comment was maybe a bit poorly worded too, as it was meant more as a comment on Ottawa's constant troubles in goal given how many starters they've had in recent years.

They seem to get a couple good seasons (if they're lucky) out of a lot of guys before the injury problems kick in or the guys hit the skids.

Lalime, Auld, Gerber, Emery, Elliott, and Leclaire are the ones that come to mind.

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
dont think we are saying he sucks. but he had a great season last year. really bad this year finishing strong. but for 4 years after 10 games is a big deal in a cap world on a rebuilding team.

Yeah, what he said.

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
hey Kenny - is your depth for goalies that bad the Sens have to make a rash signing like this? granted he has played very well but isnt 4 years extreme?

He is the only NHL calibre goalie in the organization right now.

This deal is just about what I'd hoped for, with the exception being the term. I was hoping for 3 years instead of 4. Meh.

At the end of his contract he'll be 33 years old. Just about the prime for an NHL goalie. He'll ease the transition to the goalie of the future in Ottawa (Robin Lehner). The team is playing differently in front of him than it did in front of Elliott or Leclaire. He makes all the stops he should and on some days he's incredible. He has experience with helping out a young squad too. He basically got the Avs into the playoffs last year. I don't think he'll be able to do the same with the Sens, but the team (so far) seems to play their system a lot more confidently than they were before his arrival.

In short I don't mind this signing. I also don't think it has much to do with the 15 games; I think Anderson was a UFA target even before the trade.

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
hmm... when I saw the news the first thing that came to mind was

"good, Sens finally get some stability in net"

Urkie

The MVP...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I was hoping for a 2 year deal or a 3 year deal at most. But the Sens needed some kind of stop gap solution in goal until Lehner is ready and Anderson is a very good goalie so that certainly helps.

I think it's clear that the plan was never to have Lehner as the starter next year so somebody had to be brought in and Anderson is that guy. I also wouldn't be surprised if Mcelhinney is the backup next year.

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Lost in the ABYSS that is Islanders Hockey.
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Sens have been looking for a goalie since they got rid of Emery. I really don't have a problem with this signing. Since the trade Anderson has played up to the expectations Colorado had for him at the beginning of the year. Who else were they going to sign in the offseason? Murray made a good trade & obviously the organization believes they've finally solved their goaltending issue.

sherbert1421

Dead Wings 2.0
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
cap hit isn't bad, but 4 years is too much for an aging goalie who has battled injuries the last couple of years

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
cap hit isn't bad, but 4 years is too much for an aging goalie who has battled injuries the last couple of years

He's 29 years old. The contract expires when he is 33. Ottawa needed an NHL goalie for the next 2-4 years while Robin Lehner (or someone else) develops.

UFA goalies (with ANY starting pedigree) this year and age as of July 1:

Vokoun: 35
Bryzgalov: 31
Roloson: 41
Leclaire (hahahaha): 28
Boucher: 33
Osgood: 38
Turco: 34
Hedberg: 38

I'll take my chances with a 29, soon to be 30, year old.

He had an injury this year that caused his to miss 12 games. Last year he played 71 regular season games and every playoff game for the Avs.

I don't see him as too much of a risk based on his injury history.

I like the signing for the Sens.

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's 29 years old. The contract expires when he is 33. Ottawa needed an NHL goalie for the next 2-4 years while Robin Lehner (or someone else) develops.

UFA goalies (with ANY starting pedigree) this year and age as of July 1:

Vokoun: 35
Bryzgalov: 31
Roloson: 41
Leclaire (hahahaha): 28
Boucher: 33
Osgood: 38
Turco: 34
Hedberg: 38

I'll take my chances with a 29, soon to be 30, year old.

He had an injury this year that caused his to miss 12 games. Last year he played 71 regular season games and every playoff game for the Avs.

I don't see him as too much of a risk based on his injury history.

I like the signing for the Sens.

good argument :) you win. you also have another choice

Hasek eager to play one more season in Russia's KHL - he can still play apparently.

/runs away

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One, maybe two too many years, but a very reasonable cap hit for a goaltender who's shown that he has a lot of talent. If Lehner's ready before his contract's up and the Senators want to go that way, the contract is extremely movable by trade, so I don't think the length is going to be a very significant issue, especially given his age.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anderson is a good solution, and I don't think they overpaid. Considering what will be available to fill the hole until Lehner is ready, it's a solid deal. Maybe limit it to two to keep him hungry, but who knows if he'd have taken that?

I see a bonafide goalie controversy in two years, but hopefully whoever is GM then will handle it in a professional and discrete manner.

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anderson is a good solution, and I don't think they overpaid. Considering what will be available to fill the hole until Lehner is ready, it's a solid deal. Maybe limit it to two to keep him hungry, but who knows if he'd have taken that?

I see a bonafide goalie controversy in two years, but hopefully whoever is GM then will handle it in a professional and discrete manner.

this is murrays second long term deal signing in the past couple weeks ... makes you think he might stay around