• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

AFCN Hate Guide

All-Star Benchwarmer

Hoopla Cash
$ 13,979.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really don't know what to make of Fields...I mean, from all I can tell (and it's not much because I don't follow him/or the Bears a ton) he's honestly not that great. Even when he's had time, he's struggled - big time.

I kind of wonder if he's not getting a huge OSU bump from CJ Stroud playing like he did this year...and teams are thinking that they can get something similar if he just gets a change of scenery....I'm not so sure that's the case, though....

I didn't think Field's would last this long in the NFL without a good QB coach. tOSU offense doesn't really help a QB with the RPO they play. I think the Commanders broke him and it felt like he gave up trying to get better at QB. Going to the Bears didn't help. A QB can only do so much when he's constantly under pressure or on his back. Had he been given a year or two as QB2, I think je'd be performing better. I always felt Stroud was a better pro style player at tOSU.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't think Field's would last this long in the NFL without a good QB coach. tOSU offense doesn't really help a QB with the RPO they play. I think the Commanders broke him and it felt like he gave up trying to get better at QB. Going to the Bears didn't help. A QB can only do so much when he's constantly under pressure or on his back. Had he been given a year or two as QB2, I think je'd be performing better. I always felt Stroud was a better pro style player at tOSU.
Fair - and your points about being broken remind me of a Bengals QB from the 90's...David Klingler.

He ran the run-shoot offense all through college, and then the Bengals drafted him and made him run the west-coast offense with a crap OL. Dude was never the same. He was nearly killed with the amount of sacks he took. I always felt that if he had landed in Houston under Warren moon, who also ran the run-shoot, he would have been pretty solid (maybe not great, but certainly not a bust).

It kills me how many teams just disregard play-style when signing F/A or drafting players. Taking guys who excel in a specific scheme and then asking them to match that output in a totally different scheme is a very risky move. Some things may translate, but some schemes are so vastly different that you have to know there is going to be a major struggle/transition - and at this level - you just don't have time to allow for another 2-3 seasons of natural progression to get them back to where they *could* be....and still no guarantees they will match their previous output or expectations.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really don't know what to make of Fields...I mean, from all I can tell (and it's not much because I don't follow him/or the Bears a ton) he's honestly not that great. Even when he's had time, he's struggled - big time.

I kind of wonder if he's not getting a huge OSU bump from CJ Stroud playing like he did this year...and teams are thinking that they can get something similar if he just gets a change of scenery....I'm not so sure that's the case, though....
People focus on schools too often. Fields and Stroud are completely two different QB's. Fields always had a difficult time processing, Stroud is a master at processing already even as a rookie. The hype is because he can make a lot of great throws and he is super athletic. At times he looks like a top 5 QB bc of his playmaking skills. He has a big arm but his problem at times is processing through the 2nd read, 3rd read, etc. He has a slow delivery compared to guy like Stroud. I am not sure if he has fixed these issues but I don't think the Bears organization is helping him. Maybe he will never process quickly or it is the Bears organization. A combo of both? It is worth the risk for a 3rd imo. Play through his option year and see how it goes

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The thing about Fields is that he comes up with a big game, or a good run of games and it gives everyone hope. But, it doesn't feel sustainable. This was true even in college. In that playoff game they lost, he was terrific..... But he had to play hurt a lot and was never as good as the hype for long periods of time. Same is true in the pros - And unfortunately for him it seems like the only way he can be effective in the NFL is if he is using his legs and his arm. But, he's already dealt with injury issues and I don't see that getting better.

Personally, I wouldn't mind seeing him overthrow Steeler receivers, while Pickens has temper tantrums on the sideline. That would make me happy.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
People focus on schools too often. Fields and Stroud are completely two different QB's. Fields always had a difficult time processing, Stroud is a master at processing already even as a rookie. The hype is because he can make a lot of great throws and he is super athletic. At times he looks like a top 5 QB bc of his playmaking skills. He has a big arm but his problem at times is processing through the 2nd read, 3rd read, etc. He has a slow delivery compared to guy like Stroud. I am not sure if he has fixed these issues but I don't think the Bears organization is helping him. Maybe he will never process quickly or it is the Bears organization. A combo of both? It is worth the risk for a 3rd imo. Play through his option year and see how it goes
Maybe, but the offenses were pretty much the same. They may be different QB's, and there may be some tweaks here and there...but both played under Day (right? Not really an OSU guy)...that offense hasn't changed a ton. So, yes the style of QB matters, but typically coaches find guys to run a certain scheme and that scheme translates with the player...but may not always translate to another scheme/team/program/etc...

So, I understand what you are getting at, but there are some things that certainly can be pointed to, IMO - that help to predict some measurement of success....OSU's QB's have all struggled in the NFL while being world beaters at OSU. Either OSU isn't that good, or the scheme and fit at the college level that makes them so good isn't what makes a good NFL QB.

When Fields is on the move - we'll get to see if he can finally put it all together...

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe, but the offenses were pretty much the same. They may be different QB's, and there may be some tweaks here and there...but both played under Day (right? Not really an OSU guy)...that offense hasn't changed a ton. So, yes the style of QB matters, but typically coaches find guys to run a certain scheme and that scheme translates with the player...but may not always translate to another scheme/team/program/etc...

So, I understand what you are getting at, but there are some things that certainly can be pointed to, IMO - that help to predict some measurement of success....OSU's QB's have all struggled in the NFL while being world beaters at OSU. Either OSU isn't that good, or the scheme and fit at the college level that makes them so good isn't what makes a good NFL QB.

When Fields is on the move - we'll get to see if he can finally put it all together...
All I meant was the QB's shouldn't be compared to one another bc of of college or same college coach. It ultimately comes down to a lot of factors that are more important imo. We see guys saying Maye won't succeed bc of Trubisky and Howell, which isn't fair.

Only 3 QB's at Ohio St have ever been drafted in the 1st round so I mean maybe the QB's just weren't good enough to play in the NFL. Plenty of guys put up big college numbers on a loaded team. Stenson Bennett is a great example. JT Barrett, Terrell Pryor, Braxton Miller...none of those guys were suited for the pros-in fact most switched to WR. Haskins was over-drafted, I said that when Washington drafted him. The guy was a big-time project, should have been a 2nd or 3rd round pick.
So that leaves us with 2 Ohio St QB's drafted in the 1st. Fields and Stroud.
Both in the same offense but used differently bc they had different styles. I think Day made adjustments bc of these styles. Stroud succeeding pretty much throws out the window of the logic of of fit and scheme, coaching style had anything to do with success. It comes down to a ton of things, Stroud has all the traits you want in a QB, processes quickly, quick feet in the product and underrated athleticism. Fields is not succeeding bc he can't process reads quickly and slow release. Most college prospects do not fully develop all their skills in college. Going to the right NFL team that has the coaching, development, system, etc. can really make or break a QB's career. I think this is just another added factor Fields but only time will tell if he goes to another team. We will see if he can have success. If not, then it is likely due to his weaknesses I listed above.

Ickey Shuffle

Do you have a minute to talk about Joe Burrow?
Supporting Member Level 1
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm 99.9% sure Mixon is going to find another team, but it won't be on the Bengals!

Na na na na! Na na na na! Hey! Hey! Hey! Gooooooooood Bye!!!!!!!

dare2be

IST EIN PINGUINE
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fuck it. I say go for it. What have they got to lose? Can't get any more comical than it already is.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fuck it. I say go for it. What have they got to lose? Can't get any more comical than it already is.

Will he demand his own office, personal coaches + his own training staff away from the team like he did in Denver?

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

On the one hand, they are getting great value - Buying low. On the other hand, it sort of feels like they are throwing shit at the wall. Does this mean Pickett is done? No more Rudolph? It will be interesting to see how they play it both short and long-term.

Stakesarehigh

One day it will all make sense
Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

the irony is the test that measures processing Fields did great and Stroud didn't

Stakesarehigh

One day it will all make sense
Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The "world beater" part is overstated.

Bobby Hoying was probably the best pro style QB they had in the 90s...but nothing special and he had amazing skill players with him.

From Stanley Jackson and Germaine until Troy Smith and Boeckman they were all either low grade qbs (Troy was recruited as an athlete) or horrendous (Bellasari)

Then we get to Pryor. Good lord he had the weirdest throwing motion on the planet. No qb coach could fix that. Amazing athlete...decent wr.

Braxton Miller may have been something but hard to know because an injury ended his qb career.

JT Barret didn't progress one click from his freshman year to his senior year. Same dude. The whole time. No one thought he'd be anything.

Cardale was another low level qb who peaked and then flamed

They gave up on the best prospect they had (grr Urban) in Burrow

Haskins was a project as listed above

So as Shane said that leaves Fields and Stroud

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,381.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Will he demand his own office, personal coaches + his own training staff away from the team like he did in Denver?
According to some former GM's turned analysts that isn't all that unusual for elite QB's. Heard that recently.

But, the analyst did say it usually isn't made public.

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,381.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On the one hand, they are getting great value - Buying low. On the other hand, it sort of feels like they are throwing shit at the wall. Does this mean Pickett is done? No more Rudolph? It will be interesting to see how they play it both short and long-term.
26 TD's to 8 INT's is a lot better than what Steelers QB's did last season. If he can replicate that with the Steelers they are in good shape.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
26 TD's to 8 INT's is a lot better than what Steelers QB's did last season. If he can replicate that with the Steelers they are in good shape.
If the Steelers have 20 TD passes this year:

computer sitting GIF by South Park

:D

26 TD's is more than the Steelers had the last two seasons combined.