• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

AD will not sign extension and has requested a trade.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Assuming they can actually get another max level guy. Which, recent history suggests, isn't as easy as people seem to still think it is and that's before you get into the whole "having to play a part in the Lebron sideshow" thing.

True. Even if the "Lebron sideshow thing" is true (I think it's overstated), I'm sure there are plenty of guys who'd like to play alongside AD and they know Lebron's 34 and AD is 25. So they'd likely be AD's teammate longer than Lebron's.

Then there's this that apparently came out yesterday:

According to Adrian Wojnarowski of ESPN while speaking on Sportscenter, Thompson might find himself on the outside looking in on Golden State’s cap plans, and could really consider joining the team his dad played for if the Warriors get cute and don’t offer him the full max right away:

“The best-case scenario for the Lakers is that they add Anthony Davis and then Golden State doesn’t offer Klay Thompson a max contract. They try to get Klay to take a little bit less than the max. And if that happens, I’m told Klay’s attention will be on the Lakers if they have Anthony Davis.”

Woj was clear that Golden State wants to retain Thompson, but do have a few mouths to feed between him, Draymond Green and Kevin Durant’s impending free agency. Of all the Warriors,Thompson has always seemed like the most comfortable in his role, but these things change, as evidenced by Woj’s report.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, there isn't. But using an agent as a messenger isn't exactly new.

I get that but it is much more obvious when it is someone you grew up with and a lot of players under Rich Paul almost always end up on LBJ teams lol

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mixed feelings about this, while it is good that he is making it known he is leaving going to these lengths will reduce the price the Pelicans can demand for him. That’s the system in place though and I’m sure the fact that Levron is getting older is a factor in him pushing this sooner.

Agree. I'm kind of old school and believe in players playing out their contracts.

But, on the other hand, teams can trade a player (as long as he doesn't have a no trade clause) any time they want...so why shouldn't the player be able to demand a trade when he wants?

And yeah, I'm sure AD would rather play with Lebron while he's still the best in the game. Although, if he doesn't have a "falling off a cliff" decline, he'll likely still be pretty darn good when he's no longer the best in the game.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And if other teams think he's only a rental.....that could make the offers less enticing.
Agree....but NO will do what they want, not what anyone else wants. And I doubt they go out of their way to help AD.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I get that but it is much more obvious when it is someone you grew up with and a lot of players under Rich Paul almost always end up on LBJ teams lol

Oh, I agree. It's a unique situation because, while he doesn't own the agency, Lebron is the reason Klutch exists, so they are beholden to him.

It almost feels like a little bit of a loophole in the tampering/collusion rules. Proving it would be next to impossible unless Klutch can't keep Magic off of talk shows. lol

If this ends up with AD joining the Lakers, it'll be interesting to see if the NBA tries to close the loophole. Not sure what they could do, but I'm sure that if there is enough bitching about it, they'll have their lawyers take a good long look.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree....but NO will do what they want, not what anyone else wants. And I doubt they go out of their way to help AD.

I think it may ultimately depend on AD's relationship with the Pels FO. If the offers are close, they may go ahead and send him where he wants to go because of what he's meant to their franchise.

But if Klutch isn't able to depress the market enough, then I think they take the best deal, which is what they should do in that situation.

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 13,896.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe....but not if the "shrewd vet signings" are guys like McGee, Stephenson and Chandler.

You must not watch many Lakers games.

All 3 have played well at times this season.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Woj was clear that Golden State wants to retain Thompson, but do have a few mouths to feed between him, Draymond Green and Kevin Durant’s impending free agency. Of all the Warriors,Thompson has always seemed like the most comfortable in his role, but these things change, as evidenced by Woj’s report.
Obviously more goes into it but they would be nuts to want to hold onto Draymond over Klay at this point.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's irrelevant though.....:pound:
Not sure if he's pumped this guy up but in the timeframe you mentioned, Zubac has only been a little better than Zizic.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, you can.

And seriously? You remember the Heat lost Bosh due to his blood disorder or whatever it was, right? Many were predicting a Heat/Cavs ECF before that happened.
I did mention Bosh's injury/illness, though I can say I didn't know any Cavs' fans who were worried about Miami in the playoffs with or without Bosh.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You must not watch many Lakers games.

All 3 have played well at times this season.
OK...most dime a dozen players have games where they play well "at times".

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it may ultimately depend on AD's relationship with the Pels FO. If the offers are close, they may go ahead and send him where he wants to go because of what he's meant to their franchise.

But if Klutch isn't able to depress the market enough, then I think they take the best deal, which is what they should do in that situation.
They should definitely take the best deal, but I lean the other way. If it's close they go out of their way not to help AD (and Lebron/LA)....especially if out of the West is an option.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Obviously more goes into it but they would be nuts to want to hold onto Draymond over Klay at this point.

I'm inclined to agree. However, most of the Warriors fans here seem to feel that Draymond is actually a big part of what makes the Warriors work. So, maybe the FO feels the same way?

Hard to see them breaking up The Splash Brothers though.

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 13,896.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OK...most dime a dozen players have games where they play well "at times".

LOL.

McGee averaging 11ppg, 7rpg, and 2.2bpg in a little over 22mpg.

Stephenson 7ppg, 3rpg, and 2apg in 15mpg while shooting 45% and 39%.

Chander 3.7ppg and 6.4rpg in 18mpg while helping improve the Lakers defensive efficiency.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They should definitely take the best deal, but I lean the other way. If it's close they go out of their way not to help AD (and Lebron/LA)....especially if out of the West is an option.

That's where his relationship with FO comes in, imo. If it's a KG with Minny type relationship, then I could see them going ahead and sending him where he wants to go. It's not like they'd be competing for titles with him any time soon.

But, if it's not a good relationship, or if he pissed them off with how this came out, then they likely won't send him where he wants to go.

And obviously, if another team makes an offer that is a good bit better than the Lakers, they're taking that deal.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL.

McGee averaging 11ppg, 7rpg, and 2.2bpg in a little over 22mpg.

Stephenson 7ppg, 3rpg, and 2apg in 15mpg while shooting 45% and 39%.

Chander 3.7ppg and 6.4rpg in 18mpg while helping improve the Lakers defensive efficiency.
Are you one of those who thinks an "lol", "smh" or an irrelevant GIF/meme enhances your opinion?

That is pretty much the very definition of dime a dozen.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm inclined to agree. However, most of the Warriors fans here seem to feel that Draymond is actually a big part of what makes the Warriors work. So, maybe the FO feels the same way?

Hard to see them breaking up The Splash Brothers though.
That is interesting, I'd like to know why they think that.

Historically, maybe - Draymond had a decent shot and his defense was so important to the W's game. He's taken a step back in both regards in the last year or so though and it's not like he's of the supremely athletic build that would be conducive to an athlete getting a second wind.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe....but not if the "shrewd vet signings" are guys like McGee, Stephenson and Chandler.

True. All of those guys have performed better than I thought they would. They certainly haven't been the disaster that many were predicting.

The Lakers knew they weren't competing for a title this season anyway, so they signed what they could to get them through this season.

Rondo, when he hasn't been hurt, has been very good. Wouldn't be surprised to see him back if he doesn't want too much money.

Javale has done pretty well, but he still has his "Javale moments" from time to time. Don't think he'll be back.

I actually expect Chandler to be re-signed on a small deal. He has provided some veteran leadership off the bench and has had a lot to do with Zubac's development.

"Make 'em dance Lance" has mostly been fun to watch and has played better than expected. But he's too unpredictable to be brought back, imo. Plus, he's probably wanting more minutes than the Lakers would likely have for him next year if things go according to plan.